“The scourge of pickpockets and penalizing tourists”
Review of Paris Metro

and up
Paris Off-the-Beaten-Track Tour by Mercedes 280SE
Ranked #317 of 1,865 things to do in Paris
Reviewed 10 June 2018

We were a group of four tourists who bought multi-day Metro cards at a Paris airport. No mention was made of a requirement to sign our names on the card. On the first night, we were confronted by several men who did not present any identification and had no uniforms or other markings. They indicated that they were randomly checking our fare cards and cleared us. Another man appeared and checked my wife's card again and informed her she was being fined 35 euros (about $41) because she had not signed her card. She was told she had to pay immediately. The date and time of her first use that evening was clearly printed on the face of the card. A warning would have been far more appropriate than a fine. Several days later we were in Montmartre, an area known for pickpockets. As we entered a crowded car, a man dropped his phone near my feet and started to grope my legs. I knew immediately that this was a tactic of pickpockets and kicked him. We immediately exited the car before the doors closed as did the pickpocket and his partner. No police presence was in sight. We boarded the next train as did the pickpockets who stationed themselves on opposite sides of our car communicating by cell phone. We kept eye contact and made gestures so they would know we were watching them. They disembarked at the next station and one threatened to throw his phone at us. Pickpockets can only survive if permitted to do so by the authorities. In the five days we were in Paris, we never saw a police officer in the Metro. Instead of hassling innocent tourists, Paris Metro should devote resources to thwarting criminals who prey on them openly and notoriously. It appears that Metro is more interested in generating extra revenue than the safety and security of its 1.5 billion passengers a year.

1  Thank Ron B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,320)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"signage"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

Perhaps the easiest of all the large world transport systems to get around on. System in some cases a little dilapidated but nearly always on time and quick. Pricing very easy (unlike the English transport system) cost for 2 adults unlimited travel in 3 zones for 5 days, 72 euro. 3 zones is all you require for most of Paris. You only require to present ticket on entry of each trip not exit as with most others. WATCH OUT FOR PICKPOCKETS personal experience, they work in groups generally look like school kids. Carry your bag in front, split location of cards and cash etc. leave passport in hotel carry a photo copy. I was lucky enough to have my wallet thrown back at me off a moving train minus the cash.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

We were exhausted using Metro. We traveled as 4 adults, 2 of us carrying heavy suitcases, one of us with a pushchair with a toddler inside and one of us with three small children. There wasn’t a single lift in any of the stations we used, so had to lug our heavy luggage and buggy around on stairs and excalators. Frightening experience overall. On top of that we were fined because we didn’t know that we needed to validate tickets, and the way it was done was brutal. The ticket inspectors separated us from our children (aged between 5 and 7), by letting them go through to the platform alone and keeping all adults by the stairs till we paid the fine.
It doesn’t do Paris any favours, to have such an abysmal service and facilities and aggressive staff. Paris is a beautiful city, France is an amazing country, shame about the Metro, RATP and its staff. The part with penalty happened on RER, not sure how much relation it has with metro itself. Will never use metro again, and won’t recommend it to anyone either.

2  Thank Venera I
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Covers most areas of Paris and prices reasonable..buy tickets by volume . Clean and frequent trains. Expect buskers on each journey, some are a nuisance , some worth a few cents.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

at about 8 PM I started heading back to the hotel. Grabbed a double cheeseburger at McDonald’s and found a nearby metro station.

I noticed that going into Paris all the trains start announcing warnings of pickpockets in several languages. I keep my passport in a chest zippered pocket, my wallet in a front zipper pocket and my iPhone in a deep front pocketWith a Velcro flap. Nevertheless I was double alert.

am constantly scanning people around me at the stations and on the train. But either I was real tired or board platform was configured so that a thief could hide around the corner and catch people in the turnstile.

So as I was going through the turnstile, this guy winds up right behind me and Jams me in the turnstile. I didn’t notice until the turnstile locked. Didn’t even know what was happening and took me about 3 seconds To Turn sideways to squeeze through.

I got through and then he squeezes through as well. When I turned around to look at him, he looked at me, gave me a nod and then ran out the exit. He had a blue jacket covering his left All the signs were there. He must’ve noticed that I was preoccupied with getting through the turnstile and looked tired. the platform was down two flights of stairs away from the crowds. There was a corner you had to turn where other people wouldn’t see what was going on at the entrance of the platform. He came out of nowhere, At least I didn’t see him behind me walking in. I don’t remember him being behind me walking down the stairs.

he was so fast. As soon as we got through the turnstile, he turned around and went out the exit. Didn’t realize what happened until I was on the metro. checked my front pockets and everything was there. Passport, Wallet And iPhone. I checked my back pocket and it was already unzippered but all I had in back was a bottle of water and he didn’t even get that. If the pockets Were not front zippered and I had not been so quick to squeeze through the turnstile he might have got something. imagine if it were a slower person To give him 20 Or 30 seconds he would’ve gone through several pockets. Unbelievably quick. By the time you figure out what happened he’s gone. he was about 5‘5“ and his early 20s. Bearded but clean cut. Could speak English. Built like a short distance sprinter.

Even if you report it the police can’t help you. He was out the exit within two seconds of getting through the turnstile. barely have a chance to get a good look at him. 3 to 5 seconds to steal and in two seconds he’s gone. A taxi driver told me they operate in gangs of five or 10 coordinating their theft and getaways.

The catch is when you start going down two or three flights of stairs to get to a train platform you have to turn around to see if anybody’s following you. Before you get to the turnstile turn around because they try to jam you in close So you can’t feel them Going through your pocket. They must operate so commonly in Paris that every metro train announces At least once every 10 minutes warning passengers about Pickpockets.

1  Thank mike y