“Good for a budget hotel”
Review of Hotel d'Amiens

Hotel d'Amiens
Ranked #1,267 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
“Good for a budget hotel”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The location of the hotel is the best thing it's got as it is near the metro station, Gare d'l Est and Gare du Nord. There are lots of restaurants and cafe nearby, as well as other transportations.
The staff were all polite and welcoming and they provided us with a useful city map. The room was okay in size with just enough ammentities. It was clean and nothing to be dissatisfied of. The price was ok for student travellers.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for no frills accommodation at an inexpensive price, this place is for you. The hotel itself has all the basics that you would expect. Beds, hot water, heat for the room, a small TV and a small fan. There is no AC, which may be the case for many of the hotels, but I'm not sure.

Here are the positives: 1) Close proximity to two metro stations, one of which is the Gare Du Nord the location of the departure station for the Eurostar train to London. 2) Inexpensive. Yes it's cheap.

Here are the negatives: 1) Walls were paper thin. I could hear people talking in the room next door. 2) Beds were way too soft from years of use. It's time for them to be changed. Both the beds in my room were so soft that when you sat on them you sunk down very low. This was actually a big problem for me as I like firm mattresses. After staying at the hotel for 3 days, I had a strained neck. 3) Only one TV channel in English. 4) Wallpaper was falling off the wall. Not that I really need aesthetics in the room, but it just shows how old the hotel is.

Overall, the hotel is more akin to a North American "Motel." It was old and definitely in need of some rejuvenation and new furniture. Next time I will be paying more money and staying somewhere else.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

The Woods
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I have ot be in Paris twice each year for a trade fair and have stayed at this Hotle on a few occaisions. It is very basic and the rooms are small but it is clean and very conveniently located for transport links with GDN station just a short walk away. There are, like those near all big stations, is not the best but it is safe. Do not expect value for money as, like all Parisien hotels, prices are high for the quality of hotel. ALl in all, if oyu need ot be in th earea this is the best value you will get.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I don't even know where to begin in writing about this hotel. I normally do short and sweet reviews, but I feel to give 1 star I need to explain why... and this hotel was so unbelievable (in a bad way), that I can't not share the full experience. The only good thing about this hotel is the fact that it's so close to the train station and that it's so easy to get to from Gare du Nord and Gare d'lest. Also, the front desk clerks are very polite and helpful.

I work for an airline and fly standby, so sometimes I don't make the flight on the first day which was the case with this trip. I called Hotels.com to change the reservation into my friend's name so that there wouldn't be an issue if she came to check in before me. On her way off the train from Amsterdam at Gare du Nord, my friend got checked by customs (odd, and unexpected!) and soon after got pickpocketed. She made it to the hotel distraught and in tears, having had all her money stolen before she'd even arrived at the hotel. The concierge for the day shift gave her 50 euro of his own money, with the promise that when I got there I would pay him back. That was very, very nice of him and very appreciated. However, he gave her a key to a room that was already occupied. She had a very awkward confrontation with a mother and daughter who only spoke Russian, and were terrified that my friend was trying to mug them. This made us paranoid the whole trip because there is no safe in the room, and we were never exactly sure if that mishap was going to happen to us. Keeping our belongings hidden became a big deal every time we left the room.

The next day, my friend said around 9AM, housekeeping walked into the room. She yelled at my friend in French, apparently upset that she didn't give any warning that she was in the room. At 9AM, it's pretty safe to assume that most people are still going to be in their rooms. Later on we came back to the room and boy, do the reviews on noise not prepare you for the sounds of this hotel! First off, the bathroom doesn't have an actual shower. There's a tub with a handheld showerhead. It's alright to use, but some people must find it difficult because you hear the clinging and clanging of the showerhead being dropped and knocked against the tub all night in other rooms. There was a lot of sexing going on in the rooms around us, complete with human noises, headboards banging against the wall, bed creaking, the works! We also heard people talking, the doors, and the loudness from the streets.. including drunks singing opera, loud drunken laughter, and many other partying sounds you could imagine.

The next morning, like clockwork, housekeeping knocked on the door around 9AM. This time I had locked the door so she could not come in. About an hour later, while we were getting ready, housekeeping called to ask when we were leaving the room so they could come in to clean it. Eager beavers! I told them we would be out in about an hour. On the way out, I noticed a small bed bug crawling on the sheets of the housekeeping cart!!!!! Later on in the day, my friend had red swollen bug bites. She'd been bitten! We told the evening concierge and he was very polite and helpful. He came up to check the room (btw, after knocking and calling, housekeeping never came to clean the room!) and gave us a different room on a different floor.

When we got to that room, the door was open. We just assumed that he went to check on the room before we got there and thought nothing of it. On the 4th floor, the wifi was even worse. The wifi in this hotel is TERRIBLE. It takes 10 minutes to check 1 thing. We decided to go down to the lobby, use the wifi, check what we needed to check and go back up to the room. On our way out, we realized the door was broken and we were unable to close it. I tried to close the door twice and we agreed one of us would go down to the concierge and see if he could fix the door. Unfortunately, the older gentleman in the room next to us burst out of the room and demanded to know what we were doing. I apologized and explained to him that our door was broken and that we were going to get help. This man continued to stare at us and tell us to get the concierge (duh. already said we were trying to do this.). I told him we were in the process of doing that, and goodnight and goodbye. This man refused to go back into his room, but instead preferred to stand there and argue with us about how we tried to close the door!! After a [big] tiff, he said he was going to call the front desk to complain about us. Funny, considering we had been trying to go down there to get the door fixed.

This poor concierge came up, fixed the door and apologized to our neighbor and tried to explain the situation. This older man was just not having it, but it was nice of the concierge to explain to him that we weren't being rowdy - there was a legitimate issue that he had to fix in order to keep us and our belongings safe. Considering we just switched out of an infested room to a room with a broken door and no wifi signal, we were very stressed and exhausted.

The next day was our last day in Paris, so we decided we were going to have a late night and do as much as we could. We came back to the room about 2AM and the evening concierge refunded us one night due to the bug issue. Completely unexpected, very appreciated. We were very, very thankful that they went the extra mile to reimburse us! We went up to our room, showered, and began packing. We were talking while we were packing in normal tones when we received a call from the concierge. There were complains that we were making too much noise!! THIS, after nights of loud sex, shower banging, loud talking in the halls, drunk screams from the streets, etc. etc. We did not complain because the hotel has thin walls - that's a fact. People go on vacation to have fun and stay out late. Knowing this hotel has thin walls, bring ear plugs. To not be able to talk/pack/shower in your own room without receiving a phone call of complaint (which was probably only from the man we had the altercation with the previous night) is absolutely ridiculous.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER stay at this hotel again. I didn't even mention the creeps at night and the endless supply of shady men scattered around this area. If it was not one thing at this place, it was another. We dreaded having to go back to our room. A hotel should feel like a home away from home, and this felt more like a prison. If you can, spend the extra money and stay at a better hotel. There are a ton in the area to choose from. If you stay here, don't expect to have the experience of a Ritz Carlton. You get what you pay for, and we most certainly paid the price for being frugal. Never again!!!!

Room Tip: Beware of the sparking outlets!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Booked for a night and must say was pathetic. Went couple hours earlier than check in time and checked with the reception if we can have a room. The reception asked us to wait and after a good 30 mins said we can't. So dropped the bag and then went to check out some place to eat. After a long walk and dead tired, we returned so we can have a good shower. On entering we found the room was pathetic, too cramped for the huge money we paid. The room / bed looked old and very cheap. The table fan didn't work and was replaced after 30 mins. There were no towels for shower and we waited more than an hour to get the towels (you can imagine how it can affect the visitor's itinerary, one hour makes a difference rite?). The bathroom was jus cramped, no place to stand since the toilet and the wash basin were were literally stuck to each other. The shower area was too cramped, u can't even stretch your arms. This hotel took a whole 3-5 hrs of our time to fix these things. Pathetic. Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.!!

PATHETIC. NO STARS.

Room Tip: My only help - Don't ever book this room, even if it means sleeping on the platform.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Wellington
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is a two-star property, and it definitely feels like it. There are definitely aspects about this place which are positive - the location is convenient if travelling by train, and it is on a quiet street. The neighbourhood is not the best, but we never felt truly unsafe where we were. Plus the metro stops are close by and it's easy enough to hit the tourist spots.

On the flipside, a little more time and effort on keeping the property maintained would go a long way. While all the linen was fresh and the room was kept clean and tidy, the wallpaper was beginning to peel from the walls and had been stuck back on with sellotape. The main light in the room flickered and didn't really work to any extent, and all the lighting was fluorescent tubes which were a bit harsh. The fuse blew on the day we wanted to have a quiet afternoon in - more of an annoyance, but we were able to read and have a nap instead.

On top of this, the house keeping staff had a bad habit of only providing one towel, when the booking was for two people.

Also, double check your booking. While their website states that room includes breakfast, our booking through a third-party provider did not include breakfast.

Also late on the last night, a couple in the room next door were having a conversation. If I spoke French, I'd be able to hear every word of it, so obviously the walls are paper thin.

For the sort of trip we're on, ultimately it was fine, as we weren't actually in the property an awful lot and were really just looking for a bed. However like I said, a little more attention to the details would pay big dividends. Probably wouldn't stay again, would try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - in the sunny weather it's lovely to have big opening windows and...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple