“Best hostel in Paris”

BVJ Opera Youth Hostel
Ranked #27 of 178 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here ages ago when I was looking for an apartment in Paris during a term abroad. Overall I experienced 5 hostels in Paris; none of them measured up to this one. The rooms were new and clean and while I was there for a week, I had the room to myself about half the time (it had 10 beds). The entrance hall is gorgeous and markedly nicer than their other properties, and there were ten times as many power outlets in the bedrooms, which makes a huge difference. My room looked onto a nice little courtyard across the street, and the hostel itself has a private courtyard as well. The staff were mostly friendly and one of the receptionists even tried helping me find an apartment! Good location, close to the Galeries Lafayette and the Grands Boulevards. The one small thing was the water pressure, or lack thereof, in the showers - but it is a hostel, after all. For 29 euro a night, this is a very good deal.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
25  Thank Amelie E
There are newer reviews for BVJ Opera Youth Hostel

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Very good hostel, cheap w free breakfast, they were so nice and helpful. Everything was clean and definitely worth it for the price (30 euros/night). I got my own room with two friends and the mattress was comfortable and the room was surprisingly nice, I would go again. Wifi is 5 euros for 4 hours, but they gave my friend free access because they were so great.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
20  Thank 334Simone
Reviewed 20 January 2014

When I walked into the hostel, I was totally amazed by its lobby. The staff are nice with smiles and willing to tell me anything about Paris. It's nice to have the breakfast included, and I enjoyed a lot!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
22  Thank ClaireKan
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Me and my friend went here by recommendation from a lady from information centre of Paris(cdg). Glad she send us in this place. Spotlessly cleaned room, bathroom, lounge and overall everything. Thankyou all for being so friendly. Good luck. Love from Praj & Francisco.

Stayed: November 2013
31  Thank Marine50
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Firstly we didn't book to stay at this hostel, we booked a sister hostel. However when we arrived they were full and told me they had sent an email (which I hadn't received as I was backpacking). We were given directions to BVJ Opera and told they definitely had a room available for us. As it was very late at night we hurried to the next hostel before the transport stopped and found it after some time (it's hidden away down a quiet street). We checked in fine and set up our beds in our room, left our backpacks and went exploring the area, there were a lot of local restaurants which were still open late to chose from but we decided to eat what we had in our packs to save money. Getting ready for bed our window opened onto a nice courtyard below where some other travellers were talking quite loudly, as it was very late/early morning we would have liked them to have been told to quiet down by reception but it was okay when we shut the window... which was then opened in the early morning again as it was too hot! But this could be done while I remained in my bunk bed which was nice (I was top bunk). There was 2 big sinks in our room with a large mirror and light above it. There was also a door that led to the dorm next to ours.
Our room mates returned a little while after we'd gone to sleep and turned the lights on a spoke loudly in chinese for at least 40 mins while getting ready for bed. I'm not one to confront people and neither was the friend I was travelling with so I just put my ipod on and turned over... Again though I would have liked the reception to tell there guests to quieten down as when you are a young backpacker, confronting a group of 5 foreigners is a little difficult!
Breakfast was nice, not that big of a range, but the same as most hostels I've been to in France. There was a luggage room for the next day when we were exploring Paris and overall it was a good stay! Only cons - other loud travellers not being told to be quiet in early hours of the morning and being moved from a sister BVJ hostel late at night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
50  Thank G-Mercedes
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I spend here one night in April 2012 with a group of 5 female students. The reservation was made very last minute but they'd confirmed a three night stay. At arriving though, we could only pay for one night and we had to check with the desk in the morning if we could stay longer.
The men at the desk at night said that this could probably not be the case because they were booked for ages!
Since we were at a girls dorm, we found out that another girl, all the way from Brasil, had the same problem: she booked for a week, but could only stay one night!
In the morning I went to the lady at the desk and she confirmed: we could not stay and we had to move. She said she arranged a hostel (D'artagnan) and printed the location with the address and said that we needed to go there as soon as possible. On the printed map, the phone number was shown, so I decided to call this hostel to make a reservation so we didn't need to rush there: the man at the phone told me to don't bother going there, because they were absolutely full!
Confronting the lady at the desk of BVJ Opera with this, she told me that I couldn't be right because she just called them. When I told her (in French!) that I also did, she looked startled and called them again. Since I understand some French I could follow what they were saying and the man on the phone also confirmed to her that they had no available beds and she should stop sending people over. After she hung up, she told me (in English) that the guy at the desk there was new and didn't know how their administration works!!
Then she requested that we'd have some breakfast first and she would arrange something there. During breakfast we called our teacher, which speaks perfectly French and she called the hostel and she arranged that we could stay at the BVJ Louvre.
First we thought that this was all caused by the fact that we had a last minute reservation, but judging by the number of people in the hallway with the same problem, I must say that I think it eventually had more to do with their crappy administration system (they use a sheet, a pencil and a ruler!).
So, when you just want to stay here for one night, it's a perfect place: the beds were comfy, the bathroom was clean-ish, and the breakfast was okay.
Though, when you want to enjoy a stress free weekend in Paris, I would recommend you would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank Caitlin S
Reviewed 1 January 2012

It was my dream to spend autumn in Paris so with my boyfriend, we found this hostel by chance. It was really worth its price! Cheap, clean, extremely well located and with a very nice staff, speaking several languages! And so helpfull!! We wanted to know wher to go to see the "real" Paris and they gave us some hints and good adresses. Yes for the BVJ Opera youth hostel!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple