“Good, interesting, alternative hotel”

Atelier Montparnasse
Ranked #397 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Syracuse, New York
“Good, interesting, alternative hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I wish TripAdvisor had a "good" category between "average" and "very good." (Are you listening TripAdvisor?). Like two other hotels I reviewed recently, this one is certainly much above "average" but not quite "very good." In all cases, I would like to have given 3.5 circles and a designation of "good" but have erred in each case on the side of four circles and "very good." As with the hotel I stayed at in the 11th arrondissement two weeks earlier, I was worried about this one pretty deep in the 14th. And as with the other hotel I was pleasantly surprised to like the location. I actually liked this location more, because it's really right in the heart of the "real" Paris on a narrow commercial street with lots and lots of cafes, patisseries, grocery stores, and everyday shops and services (laundry, dry cleaning, beauty salons) for everyday Parisians' needs. There is no reason for tourists to come here except to the several hotels on the street and they don't, which I think is a good thing particularly in early July when the more central parts of the city were just over-run. So it was well off the beaten path but still right in the midst of a vibrant local neighborhood. That's a good thing. The hotel is also very close to the Pernety metro, which, while it isn't the most well-connected stop, it's not that bad either. As for the hotel itself, I'd praise the decor on the ground-floor common area which is both very stylishly decorated and bright and airy. It's really quite a contrast to the street outside. I'd also praise the hotel staff who were very professional and very friendly. The room was small and the bathroom tiny, but it was well equipped and well laid out. I was a little perturbed that the television didn't seem to get whatever sports station televised either the World Cup or Wimbledon, both of which I would like to have watched. The biggest problem for me, however, was the noise. There are lots of rooms in a small space, so that my door was right up against the neighbor's door; they were so close that we couldn't have entered our rooms at the same time if we wanted to. The fact that the doors don't have ordinary door knobs that you can turn gently but rather large rings that you must pull hard, meant that the doors produced a lot of gratuitous noise. And the walls are thin. I could hear conversations, neighbors' friends coming to visit late at night from other rooms, television sounds, people bursting off the elevator in ebullient conversation, etc. Worst, though, was the sound of a short buzzer that went off regularly through the night. I never did determine the source of this and didn't ask about it since I didn't know the French word for buzzer. Apparently it's "buzzer," with a French accent. I thought it might be the elevator (as it went of with that the regularity of an elevator) but think it was something else. The street was noisy as well, so that I couldn't keep the window open for very long. Luckily the air-conditioning worked well: it both cooled the room and drowned out some of the noise. And the halls are so narrow that I often had to leap over vacuum cleaners and other paraphernalia while the rooms were being cleaned. In sum, while a good little hotel, I cannot imagine how anyone could call this "amazing." It was, however, a great value. In fact, it was half the price I paid for a hotel two weeks before and I preferred this hotel to that one. Lastly, I should add that while the WiFI was acceptable it was the slowest I'd had in the month I'd been in Europe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Michael D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed for a week on this hotel, which had been chosen for us by the host of a meeting that I was participating in for the final two days of our time in Paris. The neighbourhood has lots of great amenities and some tourist destinations within walking distance, the nearby metro station provides easy access to the rest of Paris, and Montparnasse main line station was handy for a very nice day trip to Chartres.
Yes, the room was small, that's normal for Europe, but the shower was excellent, the windows were amazing at blocking the street noise, and the a/c and free WiFi were unexpected bonuses.
The staff were super friendly; I tried to converse in French, but they were very happy to switch to English if necessary. We had our wedding anniversary during our stay. We went out looking for a place for dinner, but it was a Monday so many bistros were closed, and those that were open were overflowing with fans watching France's World Cup game (a fun atmosphere on the street, but not helpful to our stomachs). So we decided to get some quiche and dessert at a local bakery (always a delicious option), along with some champagne from the supermarket and head back to our room for a "picnic". When the young woman at reception saw the bottle she asked if we would prefer to sit in the small dining area to watch the game and she brought two champagne glasses out to make our wine more enjoyable. When I told her it was our anniversary, she produced a complimentary box of chocolates!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I booked this hotel as a package trip with Eurostar, I spent hours sifting through different hotels in various locations and eventually came across this gem. Other hotels had average to poor ratings on TripAdvisor and The Atelier Montparnasse stood out as a star of a hotel, so I quickly booked it. Google maps showed me that it was in a great location on the Paris Metro and situated in a lovely little area of Paris. Pre booking our metro tickets meant that we had no issues once at Gare Du Nord and traveling to the hotel was easy, with just one change in the middle.

We arrived at the hotel 4 hours before we were able to check in and the very friendly staff took our luggage and politely asked us to return after 2pm, they also supplied us with their own map of Paris with the hotel clearly marked, this was a great help for the rest of our stay. So we decided to take a short walk around the local area and find a cafe or bar to relax in before returning. However, this short walk turned into a very long walk to the Eiffel Tower along some busy roads. Some Metro stops were closed on our return to the hotel and this made the journey back slightly longer than anticipated. With many Metro and RER stops it was fairly easy to find a station and links back to Pernety and just a 2 minute walk to the hotel.

Upon our return to the hotel we were checked in with a pretty key and colourful tassel and shown to our room (Room 10) The room was located at the rear of the hotel on the first floor away from the main roads and any excessive noise. The room itself was fairly small in size but perfectly adequate for a short break. The bathroom was situated at the end of the bed and bodily noises were not easily disguised. A comfortable bed meant that a good night sleep was very easily achieved both nights and the air con helped keep the room cool during quite hot days.

We chose not to use the breakfast option as we thought that 12Euros each was quite excessive considering were not morning people and would most likely miss is anyway! A trip to the supermarket for some orange juice and a choice of several bakeries for a morning pastry was the easier option for us. The hotel staff were very helpful at our request for extra towels and it seemed that they were more than willing to help out with absolutely any needs.

All in all this was a fantastic hotel and we would highly recommend it to anybody wishing to visit Paris

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dale C
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. The room was beautiful, but a little funky with a very small bathroom quite near the bed. You just need to be really comfortable with your roommate. The staff was very helpful and considerate. When I forgot my coat at a nearby restaurant, they retrieved it for me and mailed it to me at home. That was service! The hotel is a very short walk to a metro station and located near a great baker. We'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank AspiretoGo
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for eight nights in a twin share room and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a suburb of Paris and we just loved being in a local area rather than a tourist type area. The street is full of cafes, delicious bakeries, restaurants, fruit shops and even has a nearby supermarket. We even started to get to know some of the locals by going to the same places for breakfast and coffee each morning! The area felt very safe at any time of day or night.

The first day we walked to the Eiffel tour area - it took probably 45 minutes and wasn't the most enjoyable walk as there was a lot of walking along major roads. However, we quickly got the hang of the metro system and used that to go everywhere. The hotel is only a few doors down from the Pernety station on Metro line 13. From there you can get around the city easily.

The hotel appeared to have been built recently so everything was very modern and up to date. The rooms were small but fine and very clean. There is a lift so you don't have to lug your baggage up stairs.

The staff at the front desk were all really friendly and helpful. They also all spoke English, which was really good for us as we only know a few words in French!

A very enjoyable stay and I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a great hotel in Paris.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Giraffeman
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were three couples and we stayed at the Atelier from May 16th-20th 2014. The hotel is well located and close to the metro. Lots of nice bakeries and restaurants around. The neighborhood was safe at night.
The staff was very helpful and friendly and made our stay in Paris great.
The rooms were very small, which I guess is to be expected in Paris.
The only down side was that the sound proofing was bad and we could hear the occupants in the other room, which I didn't like.
Overall it was a good hotel and we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sapna B
London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We travelled as a group of 2 couples and stayed for 4 nights. This hotel was chosen because of the close proximity to the metro. The rooms were adequate and comfy. The staff were always at hand to answer queries and give local information. They even printed my disneyland e-tickets. The hotel lobby is basic and minimalist, breakfast is served in the morning in the are just off the reception on the ground floor.

Pro -
5 min walk to Pernety metro
Supermarkets, restaurants and bakeries within walking distance to hotel
Free Wifi
Friendly staff
Safe and quiet neighbourhood

Will definately come again. Well done

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple