I wish TripAdvisor had a "good" category between "average" and "very good." (Are you listening TripAdvisor?). Like two other hotels I reviewed recently, this one is certainly much above "average" but not quite "very good." In all cases, I would like to have given 3.5 circles and a designation of "good" but have erred in each case on the side of four circles and "very good." As with the hotel I stayed at in the 11th arrondissement two weeks earlier, I was worried about this one pretty deep in the 14th. And as with the other hotel I was pleasantly surprised to like the location. I actually liked this location more, because it's really right in the heart of the "real" Paris on a narrow commercial street with lots and lots of cafes, patisseries, grocery stores, and everyday shops and services (laundry, dry cleaning, beauty salons) for everyday Parisians' needs. There is no reason for tourists to come here except to the several hotels on the street and they don't, which I think is a good thing particularly in early July when the more central parts of the city were just over-run. So it was well off the beaten path but still right in the midst of a vibrant local neighborhood. That's a good thing. The hotel is also very close to the Pernety metro, which, while it isn't the most well-connected stop, it's not that bad either. As for the hotel itself, I'd praise the decor on the ground-floor common area which is both very stylishly decorated and bright and airy. It's really quite a contrast to the street outside. I'd also praise the hotel staff who were very professional and very friendly. The room was small and the bathroom tiny, but it was well equipped and well laid out. I was a little perturbed that the television didn't seem to get whatever sports station televised either the World Cup or Wimbledon, both of which I would like to have watched. The biggest problem for me, however, was the noise. There are lots of rooms in a small space, so that my door was right up against the neighbor's door; they were so close that we couldn't have entered our rooms at the same time if we wanted to. The fact that the doors don't have ordinary door knobs that you can turn gently but rather large rings that you must pull hard, meant that the doors produced a lot of gratuitous noise. And the walls are thin. I could hear conversations, neighbors' friends coming to visit late at night from other rooms, television sounds, people bursting off the elevator in ebullient conversation, etc. Worst, though, was the sound of a short buzzer that went off regularly through the night. I never did determine the source of this and didn't ask about it since I didn't know the French word for buzzer. Apparently it's "buzzer," with a French accent. I thought it might be the elevator (as it went of with that the regularity of an elevator) but think it was something else. The street was noisy as well, so that I couldn't keep the window open for very long. Luckily the air-conditioning worked well: it both cooled the room and drowned out some of the noise. And the halls are so narrow that I often had to leap over vacuum cleaners and other paraphernalia while the rooms were being cleaned. In sum, while a good little hotel, I cannot imagine how anyone could call this "amazing." It was, however, a great value. In fact, it was half the price I paid for a hotel two weeks before and I preferred this hotel to that one. Lastly, I should add that while the WiFI was acceptable it was the slowest I'd had in the month I'd been in Europe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 15 minutes walk from Montparnasse, hotel ATELIER Montparnasse is a design hotel of 40 air conditioned rooms that can accommodate 1 or 2 people with complimentary wireless internet access. This 3* hotel is an ideal base for the discerning business person, for Champs-Elysées and Porte de Versailles Exhibition Centre (a 15-minutes metro ride), or for exploring Paris's many tourist or pleasure attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, ACCOR, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Atelier Montparnasse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atelier Montparnasse Hotel Paris
- Alesia Montparnasse Paris
- Alesia Montparnasse Hotel Paris