“Great Location!”
Review of Relais Medicis

Relais Medicis
Ranked #1,448 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my second trip to Paris and I chose this hotel because it is just around the corner from the Luxembourg Gardens and a pleasant walk from the Seine, Notre Dame and other favorite places. It's a lovely, old fashioned, quiet hotel. The weather wasn't great while I was there but even in the rain, Paris is beautiful. There are plenty of outdoor cafés with awnings so you can enjoy a cafe au lait rain or shine.

The Luxembourg RER station is an easy walk from the hotel so getting to and from CDG airport is easy. Like other stations be prepared to carry your bags up a lot of stairs but otherwise it is an easy trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank NancyinMD

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here this week, for about the fifth time. It is just such a perfect place. Charming, quiet, even with a room at the front (which I prefer to the courtyard rooms - pigeons are noisier than the street, which is not that bad at all), in an excellent location and with extremely helpful staff. It is a gem. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Paris and look forward to going back. Lovely rooms, crisp linen, endless hot water, light, bright and nicely decorated. Suits our whole family who have all used it - twenty year old daughters to 80 year old mother. A great hotel at a good price for Paris.

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard are quiet unless the pigeons kick off. Rooms at the front are noisier but bi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Scottishbint
Reviewed 24 May 2014

What a great little hotel - utterly charming. The rooms are small but very cozy and you feel very at home here. We loved the decorating - nice fabrics and artwork. The only thing keeping me from giving this hotel the highest rating is the shower. I realize that showers are different in Europe but all the other hotels had a spot for the shower wand to rest above your head so that you were able to get a real shower experience. This hotel did not and I am so surprised that I didn't end up spraying the whole bathrooom everytime I showered. In addition, the water pressure was very strong (normally a good thing), there was only a half door on the tub, and the tub itself was dangerously tall, making it dangerous to step out onto the floor. On the positive side for American travelers, this was the only hotel out of 4 that provided washcloths.
One other note....the desk personnel were friendly and very helpful. However, the wait staff at breakfast were very unfriendly. We aren't sure why - maybe it is a language problem - but we could not even get them to smile at us. It would have been nice to see some pleasantness there in the morning. But the breakfast was good and the setting was very nice. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Paris.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep, try to get a room away from the L'Odeon Place. There can...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janetriggs
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our first trip to Paris and we really hoped to find a hotel that exuded the charm of Paris. Le Relais Medicis was the perfect place for us. It is a small hotel with only 17 rooms. The small staff is friendly, helpful and very efficient. They went out of their way to ensure we were having a pleasant stay. We found the hotel via the Rick Steves guidebook and he was right. It was like being in a Monet painting.

The guest rooms were charming and comfortable. We had plenty of room to move around in the room and never felt cramped. We had a couch and a nice round table and chairs in the room. The French windows opened to the street, which gave us a view of the street and the square in front of the L'Odeon. It was the perfect Paris setting. The room had a mini bar fridge and a safe. T

The neighborhood was quiet and we never experienced noise at night, other than the occasional scooter or a few people walking by. Our friends declared it was almost too quiet. I figure you can't ask for more than that!

As Americans who prefer a shower, we had to get used to the tub with the hand held sprayer. The bathroom walls were covered in water when I finished my first bath; but, I got better every time after that.

The hotel has a small elevator, but big enough that the four of us could ride it together. The lobby was lovely and there was always someone on duty. We especially appreciated Patrice's assistance many times. Eric and Frederick were also very helpful as well as the other staff. If there was something we needed, they would get if for us if they had it - ice, extension cord, taxi. We greatly appreciated their ability to speak English.

Some pictures previously posted on Tripadvisor showed an empty building to the right of the hotel. The hotel now owns that space and it is part of the lobby now. Every space we saw in the hotel was clean and well maintained. So, some other old pictures no longer reflect the current condition of the hotel. Granted, we did not 'inspect' every floor.

Breakfast was included in the cost of the room. It included a basket with baguettes, croissants, and nut bread - with butter and cheese; yogurt, applesauce, juice and coffee. You could order eggs for an additional 3E. It was a good breakfast, but as there wasn't any variety, we did go out on one morning.

We love the location. There was a bus stop right around the corner; Luxembourg Gardens is a block away; and many restaurants and cafes nearby. The Metro entrance was just a few blocks away.

If you want a large Hilton or Marriott style hotel, this isn't the place for you. But if you are looking for Paris charm, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank trim2gofast
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I fine small hotel adjacent to Theatre L'Odeon in the 6th. Excellent location to walk to the usual sites on interest, and very near the Luxembourg Gardens, which offer a very pleasant break from the rigors of sightseeing. The staff is very attentive, and all speak English (they were also very patient with my attempts to speak French!). The our room faced the street, but the area is so quiet noise was never and issue. The rooms are very clean and well appointed, and ours was large by European (or even New York) standards. All in all we enjoyed our stay there, and will return.

Room Tip: The is an option to choose a larger room- we did and it was worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spunkamupolis
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel that is in a quiet location - perfect for sleeping, but not too far from major attractions. The staff is fantastic. Our 11-year old son came down with strep throat while we were there. The concierge arranged for a doctor to visit us at the hotel. I thought we would have to wait all day for him to show up. He arrived within a half hour. Everyone was very accommodating. At one point, I happened to run into one of the staff in the hallway and he inquired about how my son was feeling. When I told him he had a sore throat, he arrived 10 minutes later with a tray of hot water, honey and lemon.
If you're looking for a sleek, modern, very new hotel, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a charming, authentic Parisian experience, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel is quiet, beautifully decorated, and the service is excellent. A very pleasant breakfast is included in the price. The location is across from the Odeon Theater and a block from the Luxembourg Gardens. There is very little automobile traffic in the neighborhood, even during performances at the Odeon. Two Metro stations are a short walk away. We spent a week there and found it flawless. We recommend Medicis and plan to stay there on our next visit to Paris.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family