“Best avoided” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #727 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
North Vancouver, Canada
“Best avoided”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights as a family of 4. It is hard to find family-sized rooms in Paris and Novotel is one of the few chains that is family friendly. We appreciated the little touches - halloween candy for the kids, breakfast room for families with toys. We had a superior room with a double bed and sofa bed. The sofabed mattress was very thin and needed to be replaced. The room was clean, but tired. Worn out carpet, stains on the wallpaper, peeling paint and mould in the bathroom. We complained about the mould and it was cleaned, although not completely - I think the bathroom had venitlation problems. We like having a pool although it was closed one day and hours are more limited than most hotels. There is a monoprix supermarket with long hours (closed Sun) right out the back door of the hotel, also a public playground.

The location of this hotel is not great. As other reviewers have noted, the nearest metro stations are a good 10-15 minute walk away. With small kids those extra steps are crucial - you need to save them for sightseeing. We took buses but there were not a lot of those either. This hotel is located in the Beaugrenelle development of the 1970s - the buildings and associated plazas and walkways are falling apart and kind of scruffy in a bad sci-fi movie kind of way. The area is slated to be redeveloped in a couple of years. Maybe that will improve bus connections. I would definitely try elsewhere (different hotel and different neighbourhood) if I returned to Paris anytime soon.

1 Thank Groovancouver
DenisGauthier, General Manager at Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed the Family Time breakfast and the Halloween animation in the hotel. The goal is to make families feel welcome and I’m glad that we have succeeded.

Concerning the location of the hotel is, as you know, situated between two metro stations: Charles Michel (600 meters) and Bir-Hakeim (700 meters) which facilitates the access to a lot of monuments Paris holds. The hotel has a beautiful view on the Seine River where you can take the boat for a lovely river cruise. The concierges can explain you everything about this.

I apologise for the problems in your room and I will have a look into what happened in order to make sure this will not reoccur. Despite these incidents, I hope to see you soon. In this case, please do not hesitate to contact Guest Relations at 2424 directly from your room. They are at your disposal for any information our assistance during your stay.

Denis Gauthier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chamblee, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

1. I expected ironbox, tooth paste and body lotion..which i couldnt see there
2. could be neater than this..
3. break fast was good..
4. there is no mini bar i missed it
5. wi-fi should be free..come on we are in 21st century..its all basic necessasity..
6. I was shocked when they gave me a room was not clean and ready..anybody would go mad..i felt for a second that someone is already inside..and scared..

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

overall ok..good stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DenisGauthier, General Manager at Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear Guest,

With great interest I’ve read your comment about your stay in Paris.

I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast. As you know different types of breakfast are served : City Breakfast in the Bar (continental breakfast), the buffet in Novotel Café and the Japanese breakfast in the Benkay restaurant.

Concerning the wi-fi it actually is free of use in the lobby as well as the cable Internet in the room.

I’m sorry about the problem of cleanliness in your room.
Be assured that this is not the image of a 4-star hotel that we would like to give you and your comment has been transferred to the Housekeeping Manager in order to make sure that this kind of situation will not reoccur.

Despite these issues I hope to see you again for your next stay in Paris.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel as part of a package booked through Cresta holidays (Eurostar and hotel) which worked out cheaper than booking them individually. We were doing 4 days in Paris/Eurodisney and it was a fantastic location for the Paris bit but perhaps a little too far west for Eurodisney on reflection.

Room was clean and smart and functional. Bathroom fine (bath just big enough to lie down in which is always a pleasure after a hard day sightseeing). Towels soft! We watched a couple of kids films on the in room TV that cost 4 euros to rent, which I thought was great value.

Never got to use the swimming pool as it was being cleaned, which was a shame.

Location is fantastic for the Eiffel tower -10 minute walk. If you go over the railway on a bridge opposite the hotel you can have a very pleasant walk down the Seine next to all the house boats (which is great for being nosey). If you carry on to the foot of the Eiffel tower on the riverside you get to the Batobus and Seine cruises stopping point where you can buy tickets and embark on a very satisfying way to travel around Paris.

We booked the Eiffel tower tickets in the UK before we travelled which meant avoiding the hundreds of people queuing to go up it who had not booked.

One other great stroke of luck was avoiding the entire enormous queue at the Musee D'Orsay because we had kids. If you go to the wheelchair entrance (no queue) the lovely man said because we had children we could just go through that entrance. Then once inside there are automatic credit card ticket machine with no queue (whilst again there were hundreds of people in a queue to see a ticket salesperson). We were inside the museum within 2 minutes!

Hotel had a choice of breakfast venues - there is a living hell one (family breakfast time - with tom and jerry on a tv and x box to play) and a civilised one downstairs. Both have same food a good spread including serious amounts of usual carbs, token bowl of fruit, apple puree, fruit salad, ham, cheese, tea, coffee, hot choc and horrid UHT milk. My kids thought it was heaven. It was fine, but the Family Time is a bit counterintuitive as it does not promote family time as the kids are desperate to get away and watch the tv, whilst you as adults are stranded in a frankly aircraft hanger-esque room which is anything but relaxing!!

The hotel is pretty large (we were on the 31st ( top) floor) but there are comfy communal spaces downstairs and the staff seemed very friendly. The kids got cuddly toys and bits of tat when we checked in which they liked.

Nearest tube is Bir Hakeim - wasn't busy and easy to buy metro tickets and carnets from automatic machine and man at desk.

We ate out twice near the hotel - once in Pasta/ Pizza place, once in Japanese sushi place just down the road from hotel - both very easy, not too awful prices (10 euros for pizza) - although everywhere is expensive in Paris at the moment.

Had great hot chocolate at cafe at top of Pompidou centre - 6 euros but great view and very classy place.

Dear Guest,

It is with great pleasure that I’ve read your comment and I would like to thank you for the time you took to share your opinion with us and other travellers.
It is really nice to hear what a great experience you had at the Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel.

I’m glad that you and your family have enjoyed your stay : it is very important for us that children feel at home as well and I’m happy that they enjoyed the Family Breakfast we put in place especially for Halloween and the toys.

Unfortunately the swimming pool was closed during your stay. Be assured that it has reopened in hoping you will have the opportunity to come back and enjoy it.

I hope to see you for your next stay in Paris!

Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel is a great option if you are a tourist who loves to live the Parisienne way, yet a businessman in need of professional business services.

We stayed at the Novotel for a week. The hotel underwent recent renovation, therefore the rooms are new, nice and well decorated. You should expect small rooms since space in the first arrondissements of Paris is scarce. Nevertheless every squared inch is used to give you all the benefits you'll need. I loved we even had space for a tub.

I also have to point out that rooms have LAN Internet as well as Wireless,both free. Connection was easy and the Internet was fast.

In my opinion, the best attribute of the Novotel Tour Eiffel is it's location. The hotel is not in the crowded touristic quarters, yet it is close enough if you are feeling touristic. You can easily walk (5 min) to 3 different metro stations; or you can make your way to the Eiffel Tower in 10 mins along the Seine.

The hotel's location made me feel comfortable, not in the touristic boiling point, yet close enough to get anywhere easily. Obviously, the price is much lower than other Paris hotels mainly due to the area.

This hotel will definitely be my pick, next time I go to Paris!

• Stayed October 2011
Shamley Green
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed for three nights during half term in October. The hotel catered well for the children, there was a family breakfast room which not only provided a well stocked breakfast but it also provided entertainment in terms of books, soft toys, building blocks and even an x-box. There was also another x-box in the reception area with two child friendly games.

For the adults there were two computers available with free 20 minutes wifi. If you fancy working off some of the lovely french food there is a swimming pool and gym and the hotel has worked out three runs, 6k, 8k and 10k. They will even lend you a Garmin watch to gauge your progress. Fantastic idea.

We stayed in a family room which had a sofa bed for the kids, aged 5 & 7yrs and a large bed for us. The toilet was seperate from the bathroom. In the bathroom we struggled to get warm water from the shower and water seemed to pour out the shower cubicle onto the bathroom floor then onto the bedroom carpet. It wasn't just us, as the carpet was wet when we checked in. This was the only disappointment with the room and our stay.

The hotel was about 1.5k from the Eiffel Tower and the River Ferry and less to the nearest metro. The walk is easy and flat. This hotel is in a great location for exploring Paris.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
DenisGauthier, General Manager at Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Dear Guest,

What a delight to read your comment about your stay with us!

I’m really happy to hear that you enjoyed the Family Breakfast that we offered during the holidays in order to make sure the whole family enjoys breakfast in an area where the children can play and eat. Of course the breakfast for children younger than 16 years is for free.

I’m delighted as well that you enjoyed the swimming pool and the fitness area. The Garmin watch is indeed available at the reception to use during your work out!

Concerning the bathroom I have noted the problem you had and I apologise for it. The head of Technical Department has reassured that the problem is fixed.

Thank you very much for your comment.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family again at the Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel!

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I recently booked a four night stay in this hotel having booked and prepaid for a family room (2 adults, 2 children). On arrival at night time we were informed that the hotel had no family room for us and we would have to go to another hotel in the group (further out from central Paris) for the first night of the stay and return the next night for the remainder of our stay. The hotel had clearly overbooked rooms and would provide no explanation to us of how they could accept a payment in advance, and then, wait for us to arrive to spring this on us, a terrible way to treat your customers. No attempt was made to contact us in advance to offer alternatives and they waited for us to turn up with two tired children to move us on. The reservations manager was very apologetic but clearly had little control over the bookings and did not seem to have the authority to manage the bookings in her own hotel. I can make no complaint about her as she was clearly in a powerless position and put in a very difficult position with her customers in her position in the frontline. We were not the only family to experience this during the course of our stay as there were many extremely distressed parents in the same situation as us during our stay. How can any hotel take a payment in advance and then give away the room? I will never return to a Novotel Hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank InfrequentT
Dear Guest,

With great attention I have read your comment about your stay in Paris. I understand that this is not the image of a 4 star hotel we would like you to have and I apologise that we have not been able to satisfy you.

I understand that you were disappointed that we didn’t have a room at your arrival and that we have not been able to contact you.

Please call the number 0140582000 and ask for Guest Relations (called ROC) in order to discuss directly with them the experience you had.

Denis Gauthier.

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Not expensive for a 4-star hotel (especially if you book on the internet). Nice hotel, although the rooms are a bit small.
Friendy welcome by the staff.
I'll come back to this hotel for my next trip in Paris.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Hereby I would like to thank you personally for your positive comment on TripAdvisor.

I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed about the surface of your room. Be assured that we follow the Novotel standard.

For us guest relations are really important and that is why I will transfer your comment to my staff. Welcoming our guests in the best possible way is our goal and that is why they will be delighted to hear that they succeeded!

I’ll be happy to welcome you for your next trip in Paris!