“Terrible service from a hotel with delusions of grandeur”

Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel
Ranked #746 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 17 April 2014

In summary: A soulless, badly organised excuse of a hotel where the staff are grumpy, overstretched and have an overdeveloped penchant for the characteristic gallic shrug when you expect some service. Rooms appear to have been designed by someone who spent 5 minutes at the drawing board before going off to the nearest winebar, and you should expect to have to remortgage your house to afford to eat or drink. Choose another hotel, this one is pretty awful, and the four stars it trumpets are three too many.

The slightly longer story - we booked for a couple of nights as two adults and a child, requesting and paying for a superior room on an upper floor, with a king bed and a sofa/pullout for the little one. On arrival, after the posted checkin time, we were told there were no rooms ready, and to come back "later, maybe an hour or two". Tired and exasperated, this is not what we wanted to hear, but we returned a couple of hours later to be told our room was still not ready. Expression of dissatisfaction resulted in much shrugging, and eventually we were told our room was ready. It turned out to be a pokey room on the 4th floor (in a 31 floor hotel) with two single beds. Having returned to reception to be greeted with more shrugging, we asked for the manager, who miraculously found a room on the 24th floor, complete with a king bed (which the previous receptionist had told us "don't exist in this hotel"). Great, except there was no sofa bed. More calls ensued, and eventually a chap turned up with a travel cot - great for a baby, not so much for a 6 year old who had been obviously and noisily visible up to this point. More calls, and a collapsible single bed showed up. At this point, we'd frittered away 4 hours, just to get a room that we booked and paid for. The next problem was the design of the room - the designer had chosen to hinge the door of the shower in such a way that if the bathroom door was open even a crack, you couldn't open the shower door. Great for trapping small children in the shower. And any attempt to actually have a shower resulted in almost all of the water pouring out under the shower door whose seals had seen better days.

We also attempted to use the swimming pool - the surly pool attendent told us we couldn't because "your swimming shorts are too long", which as they were of the conventional length, was utterly mystifying. This of course was after he'd told us we had to wear swimming hats (provided), and we'd donned them, showered, and were about to leap into the pool.

I could go on, but really, you get the picture. This is as much a 4 star hotel as a bedouin tent in Afghanistan. I would wholeheartedly recommend you find an alternative unless masochism is your favourite pastime.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank IPCtripper
Laurent M, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear IPCtripper,

I thank you for having taken the time to give us this feedback.

I understand your dissatisfaction concerning our service rendered and will personnally look into the situation mentioned.

This is not the kind of service that our guests wish for and I apologise for the disappointment and frustration that you had experienced.

I hope that this incident will not tarnish the image of all Novotels.

Laurent Mauguit

Write a ReviewReviews (4,718)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

A decent location but not close to any walking areas. Rooms are small for two people. Nice breakfast but not special. OK for business trip. The staff is helpful. Public areas for meetings are very functional.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked this hotel well in advance of valentines day, and felt the hotel was poor in confirming stay.

On arrival, concierge was polite but not accommodating when I learned that they had my booking for two with only one booked for breakfast throughout my stay. I clearly booked for the breakfast deal for two, and on arrival at 10:30pm wanted to ensure I had breakfast secured for my girlfriend and I. The hotel were reluctant to firstly change their details, and then for me to speak to the manager. After my stern riposte they decided to agree the change, after for 15 mins saying the manager was too busy.

The rooms were clean, and the maid staff were polite. During my stay I requested for an iron - that took an hour to arrive therefore making me late for dinner at Valentines night.

The hotel has some good views of the Eiffel Tower, and good walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. The hotel was also good in staying when best to visit there.

Overall I'd say the hotel is convenient for a central Paris stay but I would look to staying in another hotel for another stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
L-Mauguit, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear GKeezy,

I do thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the hotel.

I apologise for the misunderstanding that you had concerning your reservation. It can be and is relatively frustrating when one has to undergo this situation.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future, I remain,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Wonderful location, less than 5 minutes walk to the Eiffel Tour. Friendly and welcoming staff upon arrival and helpful throughout the stay. The rooms were very clean. The bad points were having to ask for our tea and coffee facilities to be replenished and general turn down service to be actioned - the chap on the desk was extremely apologetic about it not having been done to be fair. Also when we checked out, we were asked out name and that was it - we had to almost remind the woman on the desk to take our keys back from us and we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay or anything along those lines.
However for a cheap weekend in Paris for a sightseeing trip, I'd recommend this hotel on location alone!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Laurent M, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Centre Tour Eiffel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Roveer,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for this feedback that you had given to us.

Inspite of the fact that the receptionnist did not raise the subject on your stay, I can tell that you had a good stay thanks to your comments.

Regarding the point on the turn-down service along with the replenishing of the tea and coffee facilities, I will check with the housekeeping department to ensure that this is looked into.

In hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the very near future, I remain,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for a night for a long weekend, its a great location, the staff are extremely helpful and its within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower and other great restaurants.

If you do stay here eat at La Volant Basque its about a 5 minuet walk toward the Eiffel Tower and great for traditional french dinners!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family