“As good as predicted” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #173 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Zurich, Switzerland
“As good as predicted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2006

I just got back from a three-day visit to Paris to view some photo galleries. I stayed at the Duquesne because of the positive reviews and was not disappointed. I booked a superior room, which turned out to be on the top (5th) floor. It had a small balcony and a view of the Eiffel Tower. The room was small but typical for a Paris hotel. Quiet, clean and well appointed and with a well-equipped bathroom. The price was Euro 145 a night. Continental breakfast plus scrambled eggs and bacon was an additional Euro 11. The staff was friendly and helpful and all spoke English very well. The Duquesne is in a pleasant neighborhood, a five-minute walk from the Metro (Ecole Militaire). I was a little concerned that the location would be too far from the middle of the downtown area, but if you like walking (and if the weather's good), you can get pretty much everywhere on foot without too much trouble. It's about 20 minutes to walk to the Eiffel Tower, maybe 40-45 minutes to the Ile de la Cité, Notre Dame, Louvre, etc. Otherwise, a Metro pass will be money well spent as the subway in Paris will get you absolutely everywhere and the trains run every 4-5 minutes, if not even more frequently. It took me about an hour to get to the hotel from Charles De Gaulle airport, which was longer than I'd expected, so bear that in mind when planning your return.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank Cosmo_Felani
duquesneParis, Assistant manager at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, 5 February 2007
Thank you for your kind note and also for all your details, you help us to develop our hotel, and it is very nice of you.

Thank you again and see you soon.

Julie Palisse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2006

Myself and my boyfriend have only recently returned from weekend break in Paris. We booked the Duquesne Eiffel Hotel as it had such good reviews on trip advisors and as it was our first visit to Paris we thought it was a safe bet.
Unfortunately this hotel was the only downfall of the weekend. When we arrived to book in we were told that a "regular customer" had decided to stay an extra night and that they had no room for us even though we had booked on line months before our trip. The hotel found us a room in a nearby hotel which we stayed in for our first night of the trip but then the next morning we had to check out of this hotel and head back to the Duquesne Eiffel hotel to check in, not an ideal situation. Another couple staying in the hotel the same weekend had a similar problem, they had a room but it was not the room they had booked. The hotel itself is quite nice, the staff are very friendly, the rooms are nice and the location is good too. When checking out of the hotel I paid by credit card, I then noticed a week later that the hotel had taken a further payment from my credit card, they never contacted me to say they were making a further deduction or give an explanation for the deduction. I'm currently waiting for them to come back to me on this!
Over all I was very disappointed with this hotel and I wouldn't stay there again!!!!

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank >>>>>
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I understand your disappointment and I apologize for this situation.
I agree ot is disappointing to have such welcoming but unfortunately we had many problems on that day and we had to accomodate you in another hotel.
We would have preferred to keep you with us in the 1st place.
However, did you ask any refund about the payment, I guess you contacted the front desk.
I hope to see you again and I'm sure you will love your stay, I will do my best for you.

Duxbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2006

I just returned from a trip to Paris where my two sisters and I spent three nights at the Duquesne Eiffel Hotel. The hotel is located in a quiet residential area but is close enough to walk to all the attractions, great restaurants and shopping. While the room was a bit small according to American standards, it was very clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful. The desk clerks made reservations for dinner and had some good recommendations. They were most helpful in obtaining train schedules for the balance of our journey. The hotel is showing a few signs of age such as scuff marks on the walls in the hall, but our room was updated. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
My overall experience in Paris was terrific - surprisingly, the only rude people were the cab drivers (probably a universal thing) and if you at least made an attempt to speak French, even those with limited English were most helpful.

• Liked — location, price, staff
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Carroll2
duquesneParis, Assistant manager at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, 9 February 2007
Hello!

Thank you for your good comments!

You are totally right about rooms, they have to be renovated, we will do it soon.
I apologize about taxi drivers, I feel ashamed, they are not a good image of Paris.

Hope to see you again among us!

julie Palisse

North East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2006

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel - the rooms were spotless and the staff helpful and friendly. Although a little out of the centre we were able to walk to the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower and the Metro is only two blocks away. Would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank Harewood
Hello!

We are glad you spent a good time in Paris, it is always nice to read good comments!

See you next time!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2006

I was recently in Paris for a conference and stayed for five nights at this charming hotel not far from the Eiffel Tower and les Invalides. The service was extremely friendly and consistent. Breakfasts were solid and the location was good for some tourist things, although not fantastic for others (most nearby dining was tourist oriented and there wasn't much access to authentic local happenings). The only problem - and it was considerable - was my room key/door. After my first night, my key stopped working. The staff were most accommodating, although it became quite annoying to have to ask someone to be let into my room each and every time I needed to enter it. Also, I had some security concerns as a result of this as no one ever asked for ID before opening my door. Of course, this could be because they had excellent memories, but I'm skeptical. So, after one decent night, I had four questionable others. I'd recommend this to someone who wants to stay near the tower, but don't stay in room 11.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank Adam R
Hello!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

About the room key, we had many problems and we are going to have new lockers next week! So this problem is now solved.

Regading our memory, to tell you the truth, I still remember you and we only have 40 rooms, so it is quite easy to recognize our customers.

We hope to see you next time.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2006

The staff at this hotel are lovely. They were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a few hiccups during our stay which they smoothed out with a smile as quickly as possible. (Some issues with the room key, and also our reservation was mistakenly taken down for one night rather than two.) They were also helpful with restaurant reservations, metro directions, etc.

We stayed in two 'superior' rooms at 180 euro per night. The first was pretty basic but acceptable - certainly nothing overtly super about it - clean to a reasonable standard but not to, say, 5 star standard. There were some scuff marks on the walls, slight peeling, etc, but the room did appear to have recieved care, just to be a little bit aging. The second was room 56, with a little balcony and a stunning view of the Eiffel Tower from the desk and from the bed. This room was much preferred! I'd ask for it by number if I stayed here again. The rooms are average European hotel sized, which Americans will find relatively small. This being Paris, you won't spend time in the room anyway.

For our purposes, the location left a bit to be desired - however, we are a bit of a party couple in our late 20s and we like to be able to walk to nightlife. On the other hand, it's a 5 minute walk to the Metro and the hotel is in a lovely, quiet neighborhood. It was also quite easy to take a taxi back to the hotel provided one can remember how to say '23 Ave Duquesne' in French at the end of a night out!

If I were looking for a peaceful relatively inexpensive hotel in Paris I'd definitely stay here again. I'd send my parents here, for example. But next time we come we will probably try to stay somewhere with a bit more street life.

PS -

I'd have to say the Rue Cler is our least favorite place in Paris by a wide margin. It's full of tourists from Ohio talking loudly in English and generally being annoying. No wonder people have a hard time in Paris when they act like that!

• Liked — Staff, views
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Nope
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jdcooper
Hello!

First of all, thank you for your good comments about the reception staff, it is one of the most important thing in a hotel.

Most of our customers prefer rooms at the fifth floor but we don't have enough rooms with a view, that's why the second superior room upset you. But we are going to renovate the entire hotel in next november, so when you come back it will be so great!

The 7th suburb is one of the quietest area in Paris, if you want to have fun by night, th ebest area is the 8th but it is the most expensive too! 7th and 8th suburbs are cloded and by taxi, you only need 10 minutes to get there.

I hope to see you again and I will give you good advices for party!

Kobe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2006

My husband and I booked this charming hotel following all the positive tripadvisor reviews. We made a right decision.

We stayed in two different rooms: Room #25 for the first 4 nights, and in Room #56 for another 2 nights after coming back from our overnight trip to MSM/ San Malo. Both chambles were worth the rate -- cleaned everyday, hot nice shower always.

Room #25 (on the second floor): Only the top 1/3 of the Tower Eiffel was seen, but the room was quite spacious for Paris standard -- two opened suites cases, no problem. Shower w/ bathtub, separate bathroom.
Room #56 (on the top floor): Marvelous view of the Tower Eiffel through the window/ from the balcony, especially when lighted up at night. It even twinkled every hour, at 9, 10 11 and 12 midnight, which perfectly highlighted our stay in Paris. Though the room and bed were rather small, we fitted OK, but may not be such a recommendation for larger people. Shower w/ bathtub, bathroom in the same room.

Service: All the staffs were always so pleasant. People at the reception spoke very good English and helped us finding our way getting around Paris, they were always quite busy helping out people. We also liked breakfast in our room, nice café and kind ladies who brought the plate with nice smile.

Food (dinner): Our No.1 recommendation is 7 me Sud, 10 minutes from the hotel, on the Mont Piquet Ave, always packed with locals and tourists. Try their 20 euros course menu. I had Foie Gras as entrée, Dug Fillet as main plate, and candied pear w/ vanilla ice cream as dessert. The best a la carte was Escargot (in Takoyaki plate). Had two red wine (full-size bottle), and it was 85 euros.

Mariko, Japan

• Liked — View from the room , people, close to metro station, facilities (AC and mini bar)
  • Disliked — none
  • Tips/Secrets — Make good use of supermarket behind metro station (Ecole Militale)
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mari-makun
Hello!

Thank you for your kind note, you didn't forget the staff (reception and maids) and it is really important for us.

See you soon!