“They need to try harder.”

Hotel Amarys Simart
Ranked #1,669 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
poole
“They need to try harder.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We booked this hotel because it looked nice, was handy for Mont Martre and an easy metro ride into the city. On arriving, as some have said, there was a smell of urine in the streets, probably not helped by taxi drivers that were parked up outside using the gutter to urinate in in full view. But hey, the hotel is cheap and it is a very slightly rougher part of town than others. The receptionists were always happy and communicative. We had chosen not to have breakfast, as we prefer to get right into the thick of things each day, but the hotels breakfast looked very good indeed, and I would certainly enjoy it myself. Our room, number 56, was on the 5th floor. As others have said, no lift, but then most of these types of residences don't have one. Decor is very tired throughout, although our room, which was small but perfectly adequate for us, was very clean. The en-suite occasionally had a sewer like smell so bad that we had to keep the door closed, but only occasionally. There was no BBC channel as advertised, which would have been nice last thing at night, but not essential. The drinks machine downstairs needs disposing of. For one euro, we had a micro cup quite literally half filled with hot chocolate. Finally, we stayed for four nights and the room was only attended to twice. Overall, the hotel provides almost all of what a low budget one of this status should. The owners do however need to address the overall standard to at least bring it up to spec. We probably won't use it again, as there are better hotels for the same price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Well.. Where do i begin?? We knew we wouldn't get for our money with it being a one star.. but surely hot water is an essential? This hotel was absolutely terrible. The staff couldn't speak hardly any english, our room was on the 6th floor!! no lift!! Our room was very small.. window did NOT OPEN as it was BROKEN!! The bathroom.. well the toilet was in a very akward position. There was nothing holding the shower head.. and there was no hot water!! The wifi code changed everyday and wasn't that good! There was no English channels as advertised. The only good point about it was the metro was close so you could escape quick.. and the best part of this experience was the day we checked out. Do not recommend this hotel to anyone, even if it's cheap you are entitled to some hot water, some windows open and preferably a room that is clean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Simart for 8 nights. I made the mistake of paying for all 8 nights in advance. Otherwise, I would have changed hotels for sure! It's cheap but still not worth the money.

1.) The hotel is very clean inside. However...
2.) The entrance to the hotel is in a dark, dingy alley that smells like urine (really).
3.) The hotel staff is not UNfriendly, however.....
4.) The hotel staff is not friendly, either. They're disinterested.
5.) Expect the "free WiFi" to be a problem. It was broken the first three days of my stay. Also, they change the login password every couple days. Don't expect the staff to tell you this. You'll have to find out "the hard way."
6.) There will be prostitutes on the corners near your hotel late at night.
7.) Do not plan on sleeping in. The cleaning staff is VERY loud (shouting to one another). They will wake you up at 10 AM. Every day.
8.) Plan on buying your own toilet paper. Because the cleaning staff will not leave you any in your room.

Stay someplace else.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We arrived late in the evening after a hectic day of delayed flights to find that our bedroom had not been cleared up from the last guests - rubbish was littering the room and the toilets were not washed, etc. Our biggest issue at this hotel were the sheets which were not changed and were covered in blood and make-up from the previous guests. We asked for fresh sheets at the reception, however we were informed that one clean pillow and a blanket were all that were available. Needless to say we did not sleep well!

The next morning we spoke to the cleaner and asked for a new set of sheets, only to have them replaced by a different set of old ones, also with some specks of blood in the centre. But hey, at least there weren't any rats!

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank birdfan12
hornchurch,essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

My wife and I have just returned from spending 4 nights at the Amarys. We booked through Eurostar and chose this hotel partly because of the price and because breakfast was included in that price. Having read the negative reviews we were a little apprehensive, but need not have been as our experience was, on the whole, quite pleasant.
First the good points: As has been said, the hotel is situated in a quiet road near the metro and a good selection of supermarkets, bars and restaurants. Before arriving we requested a quiet room on a lower floor, which is what we got. There was some noise from the typically French plumbing and late night drunken reveillers, but we've found this in many hotels. The breakfast was quite good - a good selection of croisants, jams etc.- and the service was good. Our room was cleaned daily and the towells changed. The bed and linen were fine.The stairs would be a problem for those with mobility problems.
The bad points: Yes, the decor and furniture were a little worn and there were missing tiles in the bathroom. Some of the reception staff had a 'take it or leave it' attitude. For example, I requested extra pillows and was told that 'Zis is not possible' - as if I had asked for the Mona Lisa! It was also unusual to be asked to pay 2 euros to leave your luggage in the baggage room, something I have never come across. Finally, it was a little irritating that there was not an English language channel on the TV.
I doubt if any bad reviews would effect business as the place was full during our stay. However, it would be nice if our little complaints were acted upon.

Room Tip: Request a quiet, lower floor room before you arrie
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnofhornchurch
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

I would not recommend this hotel.
Firstly be worn that the images on the hotel's website shown are fake! None of the rooms we had in this hotel even remotely looked like these pictures!

The rooms were dirty, the carpet had not been cleaned, the paintwork was by far dated, the walls were grubby. It was in in very poor condition, way worst than any backpackers I have ever stayed in.
There were lots of holes in the skirting which made me weary of mice perhaps being in the building.

There was a strong unpleasant odour coming from the bathroom which was like a sewer type smell. The shower was stupidly placed on the side of the toilet and made it almost impossible to get in and out of the shower without having to knock yourself into the toilet. Furthermore the floor got incredibly wet, that the toilet became unusable unless you were willing to stand in the flood of water.

After complaining about the room, we did get a room change, but the room was still a similar state and as the hotel was full we were unable to change rooms.

The breakfast is basic but staple enough, the only irritating thing is that you are waiting up to 20 mins to get served your cutlery and crockery just so you can get your breakfast...it would be much faster if they just set up a buffet styled system so you are not waiting on being served.

I would never stay at this hotel again. It is not worth the amount I spent to stay here.
Further more there is NO LIFT and walking up 5 flights of stairs with your luggage is indeed dreadful!
The least they could do is have some kind of porter service!

The area does not feel that safe at night. Even though I was with my partner, we both felt uneasy and do not recommend walking around at night alone. During the day the area has a completely different atmosphere, its safe during the day for sure and even walking distance to Notre Dame if you want to spend an hour walking there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NMehtaNZ
Granada, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

After several days searching the internet for a hotel in Paris that was economical and well located we decided to book at this hotel. Just needed a place to relax and take a shower after all the day kicking the city. I'm not too picky person and I do not complain about stupid things like many do, something that I live in my own flesh because I work also in the hotel lobby. I do not complain of having to climb to fifth on foot, as there was no elevator. Neither of the room and bathroom were not much in terms of decoration, size, etc.. All this I knew when I booked and they are not so important for me. Paying for a double room € 55 per night with breakfast included, price is pretty good feel for Paris, you cannot demand more. But I do ask and I presume that there must be, is cleaning the room, and I think it's the least it should be. Well, unfortunately, at least in our room, it was evident that there was not. The duvet was dirty and had spots, so when we returned from dinner I asked to the receptionist at night, to give us a sheet to put over, at least until the next day.The next day when we returned in the afternoon, hoping that the receptionist had given orders to change the duvet, but still there. When I removed it also had large blotches of blood on the other side. That night I left the duvet over the wardrobe. The next morning I told the receptionist, to please tell the cleaners to take out the duvet, as I did not want it more in the room because it was so dirty. Well, we've been 4 nights and 4 nights the quilt has been on top of the cupboard. The last day we saw the mattress and was filthy, had mold. Not to mention the curtains of the room, which were also very were dirty. The same with shower curtain. Well not continue to have unpleasant things ... If I go back to Paris again I definitely won’t stay at this hotel. The rest, good breakfast and location, about 10 minutes walk from Montmartre. But I repeat, as primordial, cleaning for me by far have failed.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple