“atmosphère atmosphère”
Review of Hotel Langlois

Hotel Langlois
Ranked #812 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've been coming to this hotel since 1996, and even though I've slept in a lot of other places in Paris, I guess this one is still my favorite.
Now you have to know that for me great hotels are about great atmosphere, good service and reasonable prices. You get all of that here.
It's a bit like stepping into the 1930's when you step in the hall. Plush carpets, shiny wood, old elevator. The good thing is they managed to maintain this charm in the rooms. So many places look charming in the lobby, but boring and tasteless in the rooms. Not Hotel Langlois.
I've slept in the 'suite' style rooms, with two rooms and a bathroom hidden behind the master bed (great!), and in rooms on the back that have a huge bathroom.
ALlright, the floors are squeaky and the bed is not the bed you've slept in comfort wise, but this place gives you the feeling to live in a Parisian apartment for a little while. And that is quite a feeling :-)
Perfect for a romantic getaway, and good with kids too.

Room Tip: can't go wrong
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank M0nsieurHul0t

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Hotel Langlois is on Rue St Lazare near the Trinity church on the edge of Montmartre and close to everything- bus, underground, train stations, shopping, restaurants, attractions. The staff is friendly and attentive and the rooms are gorgeous. The elevator although cool makes a bit of noise and as we were on the 3rd floor heard it go up and down all night. The air conditioning was great as if you had the windows open for a breeze you heard all the noises of a city. The breakfast was not included in the room price but was a great value for the price. We stayed here from July 25 to August 1 and explored so much of the city as it was within walking distance or had a cab stand a few minutes walk up the street when we had to catch an early bus tour to Normandy as well as taking the train to Nice. There are only 24 rooms and 3 suites of which we had one so it is quiet and the antiques make it feel like we are back in another time. The suite had two rooms with doors connecting so if we wanted to have a nap while our kids watched TV it was great. Lots of room to store our clothes and luggage and the shower/bath with separate toilet area was great for a family of four. There was a table and chairs so we could eat in a few nights to save a bit but the restaurants in the area were just great. We would highly recomend this hotel but not the movie The Truth about Charlie which was filmed there. Thanks Bojena and Gulcan for all your help.

Room Tip: Try to get a room or suite with a street view or an upper floor so you don't have to listen to t...
3  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We checked into the Hotel Langlois for 5 nights, from July 17-22. Thereupon, it was immediately evident that this boutique hotel (27 rooms) had retained much of its charm dating from the late 1800’s Belle Epoque period when it was originally built! Lots of dark wood – including wooden pillars! – and period paintings were present in the main lobby. Which also featured one of those old vintage , “room for 3 people only”, cage-type elevators, which was very decorative, in fact? Even though it took us two entire trips to transport our luggage up to our 4th floor suite (out of 6 floors total).

My initial impression of the suite – listed at 398 square feet on the hotel’s website but “only” 323 square feet on Booking.com – was that I was pleased with its overall spaciousness. Larger hotel rooms in Paris are exceedingly scarce and typically only secured at “nose bleedingly high” premium prices… that is, when you’re able to find one at all? In fact, room size was the main reason I opted for the Langlois to begin with! I literally researched 100’s of Paris hotels online based on this criterion and discovered that the room size to price ratio for the Langlois rated among the top. So I was delighted that they still had a suite available when I completed the booking.

Continuing with the room description itself, the dark wood theme observed in the lobby definitely carried over to the room in addition. However, the well-lit separate living room area had ample shelf/cabinet space and was further equipped with a minibar, sleeper/sofa and work table (with chairs). There were also larger table top sculptures – I remember the bird with fully extended wings in particular! – placed on shelves…which added to the homey feel of the accommodation. But the floors were creaking mightily, LOL, which didn’t overly concern me much at all, because I’d sort of anticipated some of this coming in?

The bedroom was really interesting, in a fetching sort of way? It contained a large mirrored armoire, sufficient for storing our belongings. But it also struck me odd that the double bed sat MUCH LOWER to the floor – in terms of overall height – than what you’d normally expect for most beds? Conversely, what I liked, though, was that the carved images on the bed’s wooden headboard matched carvings on BOTH the mirrored linen closet – to the left of the bed – AND those on the overhead entrance to the bathroom – also a mirrored doorway – to the right of the bed! So effectively you ended up with an artistic 3 piece matching set! This was further enhanced by the handsome “floor-to-ceiling” recessed wooden archway walled section – built in directly behind the bed! – which was apparently custom designed so that the bed’s headboard could neatly attach, or slide into the recessed section, to seemingly appear as a single composite unit. Not coincidentally – I believe – the wood grain patterns (sort of a parquet/ herringbone style) in the wooden walled archway section also matched that of the bed’s, which created an aesthetically appealing effect.

Last but not least, the room’s “hidden bathroom” – as they called it – was totally concealed just behind the mirrored door – to the right of the bed! – which I thought was a very clever and efficient use of floor space! Otherwise, if you didn’t open the mirrored door, you’d never know the bathroom was even there!

The bathroom itself was very sizable, by the way, and had what appeared to be somewhat recently installed good-looking large ceramic floor tiles, a shower/bathtub combination – complete with shower curtains!– and a separate “toilet only” room within. The lack of shelf space for placing toiletries items, though, was somewhat mitigated by the wheeled 3 level plastic shelved bathroom carts furnished by the hotel. And even though the bathroom didn’t have wash cloths – they did have BOTH the larger hand towels (why not just substitute wash cloths for hand towels?) and bath towels, for drying, in ready supply.

Shifting to the biggest issue we had with the room, however– other than the lack of individual room safes! – was the totally inadequate lighting in the bedroom! Which was in surprisingly stark contrast to the aforementioned living room, which had terrific lighting?! In fact, we kept toying around with various light switches, holding onto the belief that “this can’t possibly be it”! But to our ultimate dismay, it was. However, two (2) small lamps on either side of the bed, and a single floor lamp, fell significantly short of being able to sufficiently light the entire room? This was even more telling during our eye-straining experiences with trying to read in bed or attempting to identify items on the floor or in the armoire – for instance –at night, in some of the more dimly lit areas of the room.

And then the floor lamp burned out one night! LOL Fortunately, though, the Langlois has a great staff, who were tremendously helpful to us throughout our entire stay. So I reported the problem to the front desk and was instructed to come downstairs for a new bulb. Then I was handed this shoe box, or something similar, with all manner of assorted, unpackaged light bulbs contained therein. LOL Thus, I was able to rummage through the box until I found a bulb to my liking and replaced it (in the lamp) accordingly. In fact, I found the entire experience to be quite amusing, in a "warm and fuzzy" sort of way!

Then the same process repeated itself when we needed an electrical converter (as opposed to an adapter) one night. I was handed an entirely different “shoe box” this time (LOL) containing all sorts of electrical components and adapters. And as I rummaged through the contents, again, lo and behold… to my pleasant surprise, they actually had a converter on hand. And their overall TripAdvisor rating went up by another point as a result (just kidding)!

Lest I forget, I also have to comment that the room’s air conditioner – individually controlled! – was one of the best ever. And was an absolute life-saver during the unusual 90+ degrees heat spell that Paris was experiencing at the time.

The room was also exceptionally quiet. In fact, I don’t believe we heard a single peep emanating from any of the surrounding rooms there during the entirety of our stay. Worth further mentioning was that the 2 smaller flat screen t.v.’s – one each in the living and bedroom! – were intelligently programmed to max out at only half volume (50%) which may have further contributed to the quietness.

Regarding the 13 euros per person breakfast…? We only did it once – based on a complimentary offer from the front desk– just before rushing off to CDG. However, it seemed to feature standard “continental” fare. But on quick assessment, seemed to be pretty good on whole? Frankly, we found other options to our liking in the vicinity of Galleries Lafayette!

Regarding location specifics, our room faced the street below, which was fairly bustling through the day, but typically shut down almost completely during early evening hours. So the entire area was really quiet at night! However, the Langlois was only 150 yards away from the nearest Metro station (Trinite); and 5 minute’s walk to St. Lazare (metro and RER). But be extremely wary when trying to transfer to the number 9 Metro line from St. Lazare – as we discovered from unpleasant experience. LOL You’ll literally have to walk underground seemingly forever to reach the St. Augustine station for a connection!

Otherwise, the huge Galleries Lafayette department store was only a 5-7 minute walk away, and just around the corner from the opulent Opera Garnier. While 10 minutes walk in another direction from the hotel brought you directly to the Moulin Rouge!

Admittedly, we personally opted, in a number of cases, to take the Metro (versus walking) ourselves, not due to distance, but largely because Paris streets are so confusing. For Americans, like us, who are accustomed to streets – with clear signage! – which run in straight lines to form blocks; it’s quite a challenging adjustment when multiple streets converge at a central intersection point and continue diagonally outward from there…sort of like the spokes of a wagon wheel. LOL

In any event, I digress. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Langlois and wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank sbendernd
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very comfortable stay in a large quirky room. Nice staff and very convenient location well connected by metro and RER to the rest of Paris and surrounding areas. I intend to stay again on my next trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Loubax
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the Langlois for 4 days with our kids. We got a suit room and it was just fine. The Subway station was right at the corner. The Cafe on the corner was great, we had breakfast there everyday before heading out. The staff was very nice and helpful and the rooms were clean and nice. We stayed in Room 34. 2 twin beds and a queen. Perfect.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Although the reviews were great, it sounded a little too good to be true. Well, everybody was right: the hotel is a great find. It's a 10 min walk to Moulin Rouge, 5-7 min walk to Galeries Lafayette, but the vicinity of 2 metro stations makes all Paris sights easily accessible. Although we arrived around 11 am, our room was ready so we were able to freshen up a little before hitting the streets of Paris.
We had a twin room which was large (and not only for Paris standards), it looked renovated, but they kept the original style of the hotel, so it's very cozy and romantic. We had A/C and the free wifi was ok (although you have to connect to it each time you want to use the internet). It has an old style elevator, but there are glass windows to separate it from the living area so there was no noise in the rooms. Our room faced the back, but we peaked into a room on the front being serviced and it looked awesome.
The breakfast can seem pretty basic, but it's more than the standard continental that you get at most hotel and includes freshly squeezed orange juice, pastries, cheese, cold cuts, boiled eggs, jams and butter. However, on the second day we opted for one of the cafes opposite the Church for an outdoor terrace breakfast and it was very nice. In the room they have some recommendations for dining in the area, but I'm pretty sure you can also find the good places by yourself, since the area is full of dining options.
The staff is extremely nice, they can speak English and (i think) Turkish. No deposit at check-in, they settle everything at check-out.
I think this was my best stay in Paris!

Room Tip: Our room on the back side was quiet, but given the option i would have probably chosen one on the fr...
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just spent 6 days at this lovely little hotel. The rooms were larger than most in Paris and nice clean bathrooms. Lots of charm with the antiques and the little wire cage elevator. The location was perfect and just one half block from the metro station. Also several cafés and a wonderful pastry shop nearby. The staff was very helpful and helped arrange our taxi for our final trip to the airport. The little breakfast wasn't anything special and was a little expensive for what you got so we ate most breakfast at the nearby pastry shop which was great and a lot cheaper. Only down side was when we went to check out they didn't want to use my America Express card even though they took it to hold the reservation. They took my MasterCard but I like to use my AE when I travel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends