“The Brighton was one of the best things about our Paris trip!!!”

Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France
Ranked #167 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Calabasas, California
“The Brighton was one of the best things about our Paris trip!!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Great Service & Location, Location, Location!!!
If you want an above-average hotel in a super convenient spot in Paris, you should definately consider staying here. I booked this hotel in Jan 06 for a trip to take place that July. I based my decision on the reviews, and mostly the location. I thought it would be great to be able to walk to the Louvre, and to all the best shopping, as well as the river- and it was! I booked a triple room for our 3 kids, and a double room for my husband and I. I had requested a balcony in my booking, but was given a nice, but interior room. Our kids' room was very spacious with a huge marble bathroom, and they loved it. When I went to the desk to ask about the balcony, they said it wasn't in their booking, but they would do their best to get us a balcony room- which they did. They were very friendly and eager to please or help us in any way.
Since we had found out that the Tour de France was that weekend, we asked them where we could see it. They told us very matter-of-factly that the Tour would pass directly in front of the hotel-- 7 times!!!
We couldn't believe our incredible luck!!! My husband and kids were jumping for joy. Then we realized we could have a perfect overhead view from our 4th floor balcony of the whole street, then go down in front of the lobby and see the riders up close. It was a day none of will ever forget. The other people on the street watched us very jealously as we went up- then down for every oother lap. SOmeone said, "You must have paid a fortune for that room" I told him I actually paid the normal rate, and found the hotel on the "Budget Europe" website! He said, "Do you know who is in the balcony next-door to you?.....The royal family of Luxenburg!" Wow, we did feel like royalty at that point.
Aside from the tour mania, and the cool parade which preceeded it, we had the carnival going on across the street in the beautiful park- a stone's throw from the balcony. The huge lit-up ferris wheel was magical at night, and we strolled over and had a few rides from which we could see all of Paris. OH! I can't leave out the wonderful view of the Eiffel Tower from our room also!!
Overall, I have to admit that this hotel was one of the best things about our Paris trip!!!

• Liked — Location, Friendly staff, Nice decor
  • Disliked — Small elevator!!!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank gnatty
Brightonhotel, Manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 24 October 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us here at the Brighton hotel.

John Rodrigues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2007

This was the perfect hotel for our trip to Paris. I am very picky about hotels.... I search far and wide for reviews of hotels before I book them... I researched Hotel Brighton extensively before I booked the rooms ....... And I have to say I was not disappointed. The location was perfect. The views were absolutely breathtaking , the hotel was clean, large for a Paris hotel and beautifully appointed. One of our rooms had a king size bed and sofa and the other had 2 twinbeds and sofabed. Both rooms had large bathrooms with separate shower and tub. While it is true that the traffic outside is quite loud, it did not bother me or my mother in law and we are both light sleepers..... I think the view absolutely outweighs the traffic noise....

My family of six(4 adults and 2 kids) stayed in 2 junior suites(Rm 308 and 410....308 was more beautiful by the way) from June 17-22. Both of our rooms had small balconies with views of the Louvre, the Tuileries Gardens, Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. It was so amazing to get back home at the end of the day and still continue to enjoy the beauty of Paris from the privacy of our bedrooms. The sparkling Eiffel Tower was an amazing sight. I tried to capture it with my camera but it did not do it justice...it is definitely a sight to behold.

The location was absolutely perfect...It is 2 doors away from Paris Vision if you want to take their tours, 5 minutes walk from the Louvre and The L'Open tour bus stop, 10 minutes walk from the Musee D' Orsay( through the Tuileries Garden and across the Seine )and 8 minute walk to the Place de la Concorde....There were several restaurants nearby, our favorite of which was L'Imperial and a small Italian restaurant (I don't remember the name ) which was recommended by Bernard... We ate at the Au Dauphin one night but that was very expensive, we paid about $294.00 for the 6 of us but the food was good....

I cannot end my review without saying something about the staff... We have stayed in Paris before and we know that the Parisians could sometimes be haughty...but this was not the case at Hotel Brighton... everyone was very nice and attentive to our needs... particularly the older guy who serves breakfast....unfortunately I did not get his name but he was always so attentive to our family when we were there....

By the way for those who are unsure about taking an open Bus tour. It was a great way to see the lay of the land on our first day in Paris .... My 2 kids 11 and 13 loved it ... We took the L'Open tour bus because their bus stop was closer to our hotel, but I did notice that the Les Car Rouges seemed to have better bus stops by the Tourist attractions(I noticed this at Notre Dame,Eiffel Tower and Musee D'Orsay).....

We also did the Paris Vision mini bus tour of Giverny and Versailles.... I had not realized how close Paris Vision office was to our hotel, otherwise I would have booked the regular bus tour which was cheaper .... If anyone wants to know more about the Paris Vision tour , feel free to email me......

Hotel Brighton was a great find..... I would definitely stay there again when we go back to Paris.... Perfect Location,Amazing Views, Friendly Staff and Great Hotel.....

• Liked — The amazing views
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank PVmomontherun

Tokyo
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My room was dim in the mezzanine.
Stopping the key and the bath was broken.
However, they were not mended.
There was a day from which the hot water did not come out either.
The bath towel used hung to the rack as it was occasionally.
It cannot be thought very three Ts-star.
It never stays at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
5 Thank hitoharu
Brightonhotel, Manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 18 October 2016
Dear Hitoharu,

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion on tripadvisor. First of all I am sorry to hear that you have not experience our usual standard of service.

I do personally hope that you will change your mind and give us another chance to rectify the issues you have had during your latest visit to Paris. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Brighton Hotel team
Lancaster, PA and York. UK
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My mother and I traveled to Paris this spring for five nights. It was her first time to Paris and the only requirement she gave me when arranging the trip was that she wanted to stay in a hotel with a view of the eiffel tower from her window for at least one night. I searched trip advisor and came across Hotel Brighton and made contact with the hotel via their own website (Espirit or something similar). I ended up booking all five nights with Hotel Brighton because there was a discount if you booked online mon-wed. I was very specific in my communications, making sure to get the discounted rate, a twin room with a view on a higher floor. Booking with Hotel Brighton was one of the smartest travel decisions I have ever made (and I travel a lot). Here are the specifics:

- The room was wonderful. Everything was clearly new and there was more than enough space for my mother and I. Three closets. W/C separate from bathroom (although the shower was hand held and very annoying). There was a lounge/couch in the entry room (salarium?). Flat screen tv (although there was a scratch across the entire screen, only a few channels worked, and there were no english channels, so we just watched music videos in the morning). The bedroom had a desk and two twin beds that were just pushed together, i think they use the room either as a king (make it as one bed) or twin (make it as two) depending what you request. I thought it was room 504, but looking through the other reviews again, it may have been 514. Noise wasn't really a problem. Our room was so high up, you only heard things when the windows were open. We received exactly what we booked/requested. The final bill charged the full rate for one night. and they gladly fixed that at check out.

- The view had everything. There was a small balcony for room for two of us to stand, though you feel like you are standing on a window sill. It is quite safe. To the left is the Louvre and its pyramid and you can just make out the top of Notre Dame over it. Beneath you are the Louvre gardens and Tuillerie gardens. Across the gardens is the Musee d'Orsay and some more key landmarks. To your right is the Eiffel Tower. It feels a bit far and small, but it i would rather the view that had everything in a great location than a hotel far out of the way. The view at twilight during the first eiffel tower light shows were unbeleivable.

- The staff. I had read pleasant reviews about Bernard on here, but really, he knows his stuff. He was amazing. When we walked in, he greeted us by name and in english. He always kept on top of everything. We booked a tour online before we left, however when we got to Paris and Bernard checked on it, they had no record of us. Bernard sorted the whole thing out! When we were getting picked up early in the morning, Bernard arranged a special breakfast for us. He made recommendations and was always very nice to us. He even offered us an umbrella as it started to rain. The only thing he asks of you, if you enjoy your stay, pass the word on. The rest of the staff is a little hit or miss, but it feels like Bernard is always there (and he leaves notes for the rest of them reminding them to do things). All of the front desk staff speak english and will take care of your needs, albeit occasionally reluctantly. They will book tours, sell you tickets, and make most reservations for you, but don't expect a discount. They will book whatever you want, but will push the companies they have deals with first. This can have pluses and minuses. We let them book the shuttle back to the airport with the company they have a deal with instead of the one we originally picked because they offered a better price, but the shuttle was nothing but a problem. They wanted to arrange it for 2 and a half hours before her flight, but my mother was a little nervous and instead requested pick up almost four hours before her flight. The shuttle was over a half hour late picking her up, and then made another hour's worth of stops picking up travelers before heading towards the airport. The driver dropped her off last at the airport and no where near where she had to check in and did not help her at all with her two large suitcases and two carry-ons. By the time my mother got to the huge check-in line, it was less than an hour till her flight time. In the end she was rushed through check-in and security and had to run through the airport to her gate. This was a lot of unnecessary stress.

- The cost. The rate I got 155 euros I think, which went down to 138 with discount, which was more than competitive. I compared it against all of the other hotels in the area and with a view. It definitely beat them. Sure, you could get a room cheaper in another part of town, but I felt like this was a bit of luxury and i was paying for the view. I didn't expect to get a great room too! Beware of all the add-ons though. Breakfast is very pricey, get it at a cafe down the street instead. The internet is available on a computer in the lounge, but it is pricey. four or five euros for 45 minutes I think. As the hotel is finishing up renovations (we saw no sign of any) and getting quite popular, I have a feeling the price may start to rise. They have another hotel a few blocks away that already costs more, and the clientel at this hotel seemed very upscale. I occasionally felt a little out of place as my mother and I would walk through the lobby in our jeans, sneaker and windbreakers going out for a day of sightseeing. Business men and women were checking in as were very posh and sophisticated guests. But I must say that we were never treated any differently. We were always treated as if we were important guests.

- The Location can't be beat. You can walk everywhere!

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — hand held shower and price of internet and breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank lostonline

Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 June 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Brighton the last week of May in 2007. Part of the reason for choosing the hotel was our research on TripAdvisor with the many positive reviews. I can report the that the reviews were accurate, and we were glad we chose this hotel for our time in Paris. We made the reservation online directly with the hotel, which provides a discount for booking three or more nights. The hotel also does not charge your credit card until after your stay. We booked a junior suite with a Tuilleries view, which we thought was extremely reasonably priced. We received an email confirmation, and then we called two weeks prior to arrival to confirm our room requests, including an early check-in. When we arrived directly from CDG airport around noon (after traveling overnight from Toronto), we were prepared to wait until the room was available; but we were delighted to learn that the reservaton was in order and that our room was ready. My wife and I are often picky with hotel rooms, asking to see a number of them before settling on one. In this case, we accepted the first room we were shown: the room was enormous by Parisian standards with two step-out balconies facing the garden. And yes, the view is what makes the room. There was also ample closet space, an in-room safe, and a huge bathroom with a separate soaking tub and a glass-doored shower. My wife especially enjoyed soaking in the deep tub at the end of a day after long walks throughout the city. The room was clean and tasteful, with two twin beds joined together as a double, a writing desk, a lighted vanity, and a sofa. The noise from the street is, as other guests have mentioned, noticeable. But my wife, who is a light sleeper, brought along earplugs; and she did not have trouble with the street noise. The heavy curtains also helped to keep the noise out. We thought the view was worth the street noise--and it is all that the others have said: you can step out on your balcony and take in the entire city, from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame. The greenery from the garden across the street is especially appealing. As far as the service of the hotel is concerned, we have only good things to report: the desk staff was helpful, especially Bernhard, and the breakfast was fine (we ate the breakfast at the hotel only on the last day, because we found it convenient before heading to the train station). Notably, the staff provided excellent advise on traveling to the train station, collected our bags, hailed a cab in the rain, and loaded our luggage. We have nothing but pleasant memories of our stay at the Hotel Brighton. The Tuilleries metro stop is nearby (featured in the recent movie, Paris, Je T'aime), and we enjoyed going to two nearby restaurants: Angelina Salon de The and Cafe Marly. Angelina's is just a few doors down, which is famous for its dark hot chocolate. It is worth the experience, even if the chocolate is over the top. We found other items on the menu were great for lunch, such as the salads and quiche. If you plan to visit the Louvre, we recommend having breakfast at Cafe Marly, an elegant cafe in easy walking distance, right under the arches of the Louvre. Have a great trip.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank JazzWashington_DC

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2007

Great little hotel in a great central location. We were very happy with our stay there. The hotel is clean and the staff were friendly.
With three days, we were able to walk the length of Paris from here . We had a superior room which was roomy, with no view, which was fine with me, since there may be some traffic noise in the front rooms overlooking the Tuilleries Gardens. The area is a little dead at night, since it is a tourist strip, but you can cab to the livelier areas. Some of the Paris tour groups are based down the block which was also convenient. They offer a nice continental breakfast (10 euros) or more for eggs etc. No need for other food with restaurants nearby. Warning...stay away from L'Imperial restaurant down the block. Hotel recommends it, but we were ripped off there for drinks. There's a great Irish pub around the corner which I wish I had went to instead. Can't beat the price for the location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — quiet area at night
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank mc423

US
Reviewed 24 May 2007

My husband and I stayed at the hotel Brighton for my 30th birthday in April. It was everything I hoped it would be and more. The views were spectacular. I highly recommend spending a little bit more to have the views, it is beyond worth it. Especially at night when the Louvre gets illuminated like a storybook castle and every hour on the hour the Eiffel Tower sparkles for 10 minutes. You will find yourself mesmerized by the sights over and over again.

The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable about the city and we got some great restaurant recommendations from them.

Other reviews say that it is in a tourist area and therefore nothing good to eat is around, I highly disagree. All you have to do is walk 1 block away from the gardens and there are a slew of local, small restaurants that are wonderful.

The only complaint, although a small one, is that the "Do not Disturb" sign doesn't get much attention from the housekeeping staff. If you leave it up during the day they will knock and come in anyway. If you do not want your room cleaned, let the front desk know. Otherwise, the housekeepers will go in.

• Liked — Location and the VIEWS!!!!
  • Disliked — Can not think of a single bad thing to say!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple