“Brilliant”

Ranked #184 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
London
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2007

This hotel couldn't have a better location and oh so Paris! You are almost on top of the Louvre and over look the gardens. Near the best shops, restaurants and the Metro (but no need to use that!).

We wandered around the best part of Paris and felt like we were right in the middle of it all. Double glazing stops any noise. The furnishings are extravagant and very comfortable. The bathroom was huge as was the room.

Friendly staff. Would not bother with breakfast as it is nice to wander to a cafe and get a coffee etc which will be far cheaper.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank NZder
Brightonhotel, Manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 24 October 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us here at the Brighton hotel.

John Rodrigues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Carrara, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

We booked this hotel because of the location (opposite the Jardine des Tuileries and close to the Champs Elysees) and also we had read good reviews on Tripadviser. Big mistake.

Whilst the location was fabulous, right opposite the Gardens and only about 15 minutes walk to the start of the Champs Elysees, Arc de Tromphe and the shopping area (Boulevard Haussmann - were all in walking distance)say we would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Upon arrival no one assisted us with our luggage, the desk clerk was surley and the foyer had no atmosphere at all in fact it was a desk to the right of the dining room.

The room was neat and tidy but the furniture was old and not in a good way. The bathroom however, had been remodelled and was quite good. The positive was that we had a balcony and could see the Eiffel Tower from our room. Also double glazing of windows made the noise from the traffice non existant.

The safe did not work and was repaired once we advised them. We were not shown how to use the air conditioning and subsequently froze on one ocassion until someone came up and told us how to use it.

We did not eat at the hotel as the dining room looked very old and tired. The staff were disinterested and to be honest we couldn't wait to get out of there.

One other point we bought a 5 euro internet card and then discovered after we had paid our bill that we had been billed for this card when we had paid cash (our mistake for not checking the bill) but just another issues.

Tip: Dont go across the road to the Tuileries Gardens for lunch, big rip off in cost, or if you do ensure you say exactly what size coke you want we were charged a ridiculous amount of money for lunch which was inedible, however, the sun was shining and the gardens were great.

This is a great spot location wise just don't stay at this hotel, maybe try the Hotel Regina up the road or one of the others. While we were there the Govevenor of California, the "Terminator" himself was staying a few hotels away - so that made our day seeing him.

When I say the Arc de Triomphe, Boulevard Haussman for shopping are within walking distance it means approx 20-30 minutes walking in flat shoes.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank Sheryll
Brightonhotel, Manager at Hotel Brighton - Esprit de France, responded to this review, 18 October 2016
Dear Sheryll,

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion on tripadvisor. First of all I am sorry to hear that you have not experience our usual standard of service.

I do personally hope that you will change your mind and give us another chance to rectify the issues you have had during your latest visit to Paris. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Brighton Hotel team
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2007

I booked the room for my other half's 40th birthday as his requirements were a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower. We splurged and took the junior suite although a few weeks before we left I discovered they had a special deal going (July is slow for Paris I believe) and I was able to get the normally 255 Euro room for 224 Euros which included buffet breakfast for both of us everyday. They told us that we had one of the best rooms in the house and it was quite spectacular. A very large room with a sitting area that included a couch and chairs and a large king-sized (American standards) bed. The view of the Tuilleries, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel Tower and even the ferris wheel in the Tuilleries made this room spectacular. We had four balconies, two with views and the other two with views of a side street - but the balcony wrapped around the entire suite. We had room 308 (previously mentioned) by the way. Be warned that you can't really sit on the balconies (they're narrow and a little disconcerting if you have fear of heights) but they are spectacular to watch the city go by. Although Rue du Rivoli is a busy street the double-doors masked the noise of the street pretty well. And air conditioning was good although the European hotel concept of leaving your key in the little slot by the door for electricity was new to this trip. The staff was friendly and excellent. Those who don't speak French need not worry as their English is excellent although please use a "Bon Jour" and a "Merci" occasionally. The breakfast was good since it was included - toast, croissants, jams, jelly, fruit, ham, juices, coffee. I would not have paid 16 Euros each for it however. The location is very good as you are a walk (sometimes a longer one - 20 minutes) to almost everything. And the Tuilleries metro stop is across the street. The overall experience was fantastic and memorable and the perfect way for my other half to celebrate his birthday. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The room and it's spectacular location and view
  • Disliked — Wireless internet was a struggle from this room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank DavidMS1961

West Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2007

My family of four (two children aged 10 and 14) stayed at the Brighton for 5 nights in mid July and were very happy with the hotel. It was smaller than I'd imagined but that was not a problem at all. As mentioned in previous reviews, Bernard on the front desk is a wonderful conceirge - very professional and super polite and helpfull with excellent English. If you have any problems, he is only too happy to help.

Our room (a junior suite) was lovely but did have a couple of downsides. My husband and I had a king size bed (very comfortable) and I had planned on the children sleeping on the sofa bed, however, it was much too small for both of them so my teenage son had the sofa bed (which creaked during the night every time he turned over) and my daughter slept on the big cushion of the sofa bed down on the floor with a few additional cushions and pillows. We asked for more sheets to make up the bed for her which were brought up quickly and she slept there happily for the duration of our stay.

The main problem was the traffic noise. It seems that either there's an awful lot of crime in Paris or the local police just like to use their sirens when they get bored. There were sirens sounding much of the night which were intermingled with the screams coming from one of the rides on the Jardin De Tuileries' Fair which just happened to be located across the road directly in front of the hotel for the months of July and August. However, the flip side of all this noise is the fantastic view. Maybe take ear plugs?

We had the continental breakfast in the hotel a couple of mornings for 10 euros each which is similar to most of the prices in the cafes very close by (between 10 and 15 euros) but if you go back a few streets, you can get the same breakfast for 7 euros each.

The location is excellent, we walked to the Louvre (very close by and part of the wonderful view if you're overlooking the Jardin De Tuileries), the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame - in fact, we went everywhere on foot. The only time we used transport was to go on the Paris Vision tour bus to Disneyland Park - personally I wouldn't bother with Disneyland simply because of the horrendous queues. We had to queue for 40 minutes just to buy some sun screen when we first got in (only place selling it was the same place that hires out wheel chairs and push chairs - hence the long waiting line). Average waiting queues at the rides were at least half an hour for each short ride and on a hot day with little to no shade, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. My 10 year old daughter actually said she preferred the noisy fair across the road from our hotel to Disneyland!!! - It was a lot cheaper too.

If you're looking for souvenirs, you won't be dissapointed -there are a huge number of souvenir shops very close by. There is also one of the new bike hire stations just down the road (the sort where you pick up a bike in one station and can drop it off at another station if desired) so if you feel like cycling around Paris, the bikes are virtually on your doorstep.

Overall we had a lovely stay at the Brighton.

• Liked — The amazing view and Bernard on the front desk
  • Disliked — Traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank vegiegirl_7

Calabasas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2007

Great Service & Location, Location, Location!!!
If you want an above-average hotel in a super convenient spot in Paris, you should definately consider staying here. I booked this hotel in Jan 06 for a trip to take place that July. I based my decision on the reviews, and mostly the location. I thought it would be great to be able to walk to the Louvre, and to all the best shopping, as well as the river- and it was! I booked a triple room for our 3 kids, and a double room for my husband and I. I had requested a balcony in my booking, but was given a nice, but interior room. Our kids' room was very spacious with a huge marble bathroom, and they loved it. When I went to the desk to ask about the balcony, they said it wasn't in their booking, but they would do their best to get us a balcony room- which they did. They were very friendly and eager to please or help us in any way.
Since we had found out that the Tour de France was that weekend, we asked them where we could see it. They told us very matter-of-factly that the Tour would pass directly in front of the hotel-- 7 times!!!
We couldn't believe our incredible luck!!! My husband and kids were jumping for joy. Then we realized we could have a perfect overhead view from our 4th floor balcony of the whole street, then go down in front of the lobby and see the riders up close. It was a day none of will ever forget. The other people on the street watched us very jealously as we went up- then down for every oother lap. SOmeone said, "You must have paid a fortune for that room" I told him I actually paid the normal rate, and found the hotel on the "Budget Europe" website! He said, "Do you know who is in the balcony next-door to you?.....The royal family of Luxenburg!" Wow, we did feel like royalty at that point.
Aside from the tour mania, and the cool parade which preceeded it, we had the carnival going on across the street in the beautiful park- a stone's throw from the balcony. The huge lit-up ferris wheel was magical at night, and we strolled over and had a few rides from which we could see all of Paris. OH! I can't leave out the wonderful view of the Eiffel Tower from our room also!!
Overall, I have to admit that this hotel was one of the best things about our Paris trip!!!

• Liked — Location, Friendly staff, Nice decor
  • Disliked — Small elevator!!!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank gnatty

Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

This was the perfect hotel for our trip to Paris. I am very picky about hotels.... I search far and wide for reviews of hotels before I book them... I researched Hotel Brighton extensively before I booked the rooms ....... And I have to say I was not disappointed. The location was perfect. The views were absolutely breathtaking , the hotel was clean, large for a Paris hotel and beautifully appointed. One of our rooms had a king size bed and sofa and the other had 2 twinbeds and sofabed. Both rooms had large bathrooms with separate shower and tub. While it is true that the traffic outside is quite loud, it did not bother me or my mother in law and we are both light sleepers..... I think the view absolutely outweighs the traffic noise....

My family of six(4 adults and 2 kids) stayed in 2 junior suites(Rm 308 and 410....308 was more beautiful by the way) from June 17-22. Both of our rooms had small balconies with views of the Louvre, the Tuileries Gardens, Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. It was so amazing to get back home at the end of the day and still continue to enjoy the beauty of Paris from the privacy of our bedrooms. The sparkling Eiffel Tower was an amazing sight. I tried to capture it with my camera but it did not do it justice...it is definitely a sight to behold.

The location was absolutely perfect...It is 2 doors away from Paris Vision if you want to take their tours, 5 minutes walk from the Louvre and The L'Open tour bus stop, 10 minutes walk from the Musee D' Orsay( through the Tuileries Garden and across the Seine )and 8 minute walk to the Place de la Concorde....There were several restaurants nearby, our favorite of which was L'Imperial and a small Italian restaurant (I don't remember the name ) which was recommended by Bernard... We ate at the Au Dauphin one night but that was very expensive, we paid about $294.00 for the 6 of us but the food was good....

I cannot end my review without saying something about the staff... We have stayed in Paris before and we know that the Parisians could sometimes be haughty...but this was not the case at Hotel Brighton... everyone was very nice and attentive to our needs... particularly the older guy who serves breakfast....unfortunately I did not get his name but he was always so attentive to our family when we were there....

By the way for those who are unsure about taking an open Bus tour. It was a great way to see the lay of the land on our first day in Paris .... My 2 kids 11 and 13 loved it ... We took the L'Open tour bus because their bus stop was closer to our hotel, but I did notice that the Les Car Rouges seemed to have better bus stops by the Tourist attractions(I noticed this at Notre Dame,Eiffel Tower and Musee D'Orsay).....

We also did the Paris Vision mini bus tour of Giverny and Versailles.... I had not realized how close Paris Vision office was to our hotel, otherwise I would have booked the regular bus tour which was cheaper .... If anyone wants to know more about the Paris Vision tour , feel free to email me......

Hotel Brighton was a great find..... I would definitely stay there again when we go back to Paris.... Perfect Location,Amazing Views, Friendly Staff and Great Hotel.....

• Liked — The amazing views
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank PVmomontherun

Tokyo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

My room was dim in the mezzanine.
Stopping the key and the bath was broken.
However, they were not mended.
There was a day from which the hot water did not come out either.
The bath towel used hung to the rack as it was occasionally.
It cannot be thought very three Ts-star.
It never stays at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled solo