“ok hotel, but needed some TLC”

Hotel Meslay Republique
Ranked #1,184 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“ok hotel, but needed some TLC”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Arrived and although we are used to the usual french indifference the welcome was unwelcoming! A smile is the same in all languages. The hotel is in the middle of renovations as is the whole area around republique. We had asked for a double room but got a twin and the wardrobe door was smashed, bare wires to the lights and the smell of strong adhesive.
We are used to using hotels as a travel base, so dont expect much beyond a good bed and reasonable conditions, but this was below most.
The breakfast was ok. We were charged city tax on departure. You could hear the underground trains going underneath on the first floor!
Wouldnt go back.

Room Tip: try a different hotel?
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed 3 misaerable nights in a dog kennel of a room next to the elevator motor room - room 702. That room should never be a bedroom. No ventilation, no airconditioning and constant noise form a clunking elevator motor. The room was so pokey you could barely stand up in it. The hot water was anything but. As for the vaulted breakfast room this was more like a nazi bunker. The breakfast consisted of a few bread rolls, peach jam or marmalade and yesterdays (at best) or even the prevoius two days stale croissants. The staff simply do not care. They even expect you top pay for WiFi . Dream on. This year I have stayed 34 out of 77 nights in hotels. This is the worst hotel that I have stayed in in the last 6 years. Typically French - rude and uninterested, even when complaining. I did not pay the tax trick which they tried on me. Inter Hotels - this is a joke. You should be ashamed of having such dreadful rooms under your tutilage.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this Hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank SidiCarnot

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Lima, Peru
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I arrived at this hotel al 1 am the 5th january 2012. I was received by a man without his shoes on, watching tv with his feet over a table, and the lobby was smelling cigarette. Such a first impression.
I went to my room and I found a broken mirror, the tv didn´t work and there was a plastic bag full of garbage hanging in the window. Then I realized, reading a little sign, that they charge you for the safety box and the wi fi service. I was so surprised because when I booked this hotel I visited their web site and they don´t warn you about that.
The next morning I went to the front desk trying to get an answer to all of these issues and I faced a woman who literally said that she couldn´t do anything, that I should talk to the manager. So I asked when I could talk to him and she said she just didn´t know and that she couldn´t call him for nothing. That was really a rude answer to a guest.
One good thing about this hotel is the location and the black woman at the cafeteria, probably the only person that smiles to you everyday.
I guess this is not a 3 stars hotel as they promote themselves.
I´m still waiting to see the the manager. Anyone saw him?

Alfonso de Lázzari
Portugal

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alfonso d
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel back in September 2011. I had nothing but good experiences with people in Paris but I have to say that front desk person was frequently rude and unhelpful. The room was also not exactly what I would have expected. It would have been fine with some repairs but there were two broken mirrors and a large stain on the wallpaper. The bathroom was also a bit outdated. I guess that shabby would be the right word for the room. However, the location was very good for me and I liked the surrounding neighborhood. The breakfast was perfectly nice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Travelerae09
tehran
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I was 2 nights in novomber in this hotel. i think this hotel isnt 3 star. it is 2 star. rooms are small.
the price is not cheap.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank farhad k
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The hotel is ok and descent. It's a 3 star basic hotel nothing extraordinary and the relationship price-quality is ok. The decoration is basic, the rooms and toilets are descent and clean (size is the standard for 3 star hotels in Europe. You shouldn't expect big size rooms in 3 stars and mainly 4 stars hotels in Paris). Breakfast is continental and its ok for French standards. Staff that works in the main desk and breakfast room are really nice and friendly, Location is ok close to Place de la Republique with easy access to the metro station and in Rue Fauburg du Temple (sp) there are many non touristic and non expensive restaurants and bars where to go out at night and not so far of the hotel . We spent 9 nights on there. I think that for a short term accomodation is ok but for a longer one I guess that next time I would pick up an appartment or a better hotel (personal opinion). WIFI is quite expensive (4 euros for one hour) but I negotiate with them 2 euros per night
If you are looking for a non expensive hotel with basic services this hotel is ok.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Francisco O
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

this spot in paris has everything in it you need, and i was looking forward to a stay in one of my favorite parts of town. the hotel is a bit tired, the rooms ok size for paris with no aircon. the noise of the street keeps you up and wakes you up(along with the hard bed) if you leave the window open to breathe. no kettle (but we bought a cheap one round the corner at the very excellent monoprix and it was a boon around europe).
i am not an elephant but i could not comfortably lift my arms above my head to wash my hair or bend down for the shampoo without opening the shower and half stepping out.
(to be fair cramped shower stalls, poor room design/renovation and hard beds are de rigeur in europe, it's almost a conspiracy of second rate hotel outfitters. i digress.)
from the supercilious bloke at reception to the almost aggressive woman - getting genuine warmth is like blood from a stone. paris is always snottily expensive but i mind less when i get value or good cheer from the managers. not so.
our most gobsmacking moment is still being marvelled at with friends - i needed some laundry done, to whit one pair of jeans, 2 long sleeved t shirts, 5 pairs of knickers, 1 pair of leggings and some tiny sokettes. all cotton, no special services. i know i should have totted up the prices but was exhausted and do my laundry at lots of hotels - was expecting perhaps 20-30 euros max.. the laundry came back with a bill for 67euros!!!!!! i paid less for all the clothes new! the man at the desk said the hotel made nothing from the laundry, so was i flabbergasted why they would risk gouging guests and don't direct us poor sods to the alternative laundry just down the road. i meekly paid, like an idiot, and tried not to look perturbed. i still have the receipt, just to remind me never to go there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple