“Great location, good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Meslay Republique

Hotel Meslay Republique
Ranked #1,225 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Paris, France
“Great location, good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Soon after our arrival in France, my husband and I took the RER B into the Gare du Nord and then a taxi to this hotel, which is easily found just off the Place de la Republique, yet on a quiet side street. The front desk receptionist immediately allowed us into our room (at noon) which was small but not micro, with a nice sized bathroom. The bed was a typical small French bed which made for a little jousting while we slept.

The hotel is located about 1.5 blocks from a Monoprix which allowed us to have cheaper water and Orangina, although you could buy cold water in a machine in the hotel lobby for 2 euro per small bottle. There is also now a nice cafe on la place de la Republique for afternoon coffee or wine. We did not have breakfast at the hotel except the last day, and it was lovely with choices and good cafe.

The hotel is in one of our favorite quartiers, le Marais, and within walking distance of many restaurants (we enjoyed Au Bascou), bistros (le Blanc Cassis on rue dupetit Thouars), and points of interest, such as the Museum of Arts et Metiers which any nerd would love!

The receptionist on duty our last morning told us it might take a while to get a cab to the hotel (and he certainement wasn't enthusiastic about assisting us! He wasn't a regular clerk, fortunately.). So we shlepped over to la Place de la Republique where there was a conveniently located taxi stand and one came along just as we got there. We made it to the Gare de Lyon with time to spare for our next adventure in France.

Room Tip: There was no AC but you could open the window for a nice breeze!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Sylvie07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

After a over a month of travel throughout Europe I came back to the city I love to end my journey before flying back to Canada. The wonderful little hotel I stayed at at the start of my trip was not available for my impromptu Paris visit so I chose Hotel Meslay Repulique. What a tremendous stroke of luck. This hotel is cute, clean, close to everything and everyone of their staff has treated me with absolutely the best service one could ask for. Way beyond their duty they actually walked me to an optician when my glasses broke, personally showed me the subway system( right across the street) honestly the best. My cute little room opened to the quiet little street line with...get this for LUCK...shoe stores. Around the corner a plethora of little cafés. Across the street Republique squares walking distance to the Siene, la Fayette, and even the Louvre if you are mobile. Bordering the lovely Marais area there is no shortage of things to see and do if you love walking this is the area for you.

Room Tip: Appears most rooms are good. Mine faced the street and two windows opened to it. Very quiet with ver...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank darcitalk
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our experience at Hotel Meslay Republique started out very rocky and improved by the end of our three night stay. We checked in around 8 pm on a Thursday evening, and were greeted gruffly by a man who pretty much put my key on the counter and pointed towards the elevator. This was after I mentioned I did speak a little french. I got up to the room and realized we knew nothing about wifi (listed as free on the site), so went back downstairs to get a code. He acted annoyed and told me he'd give me two codes for 5 hours each (for my partner and me), but that I had to use the code to completion before returning and he refused to give me more than the two. It seemed more hostile than necessary for me simply asking for a wifi code. The next day, we went up to a female host and requested a new code (after our time was up). She told me she would only give me an hour code. I told her we received a five hour code last time and would prefer a longer amount of internet time, and she acted equally annoyed by my request for the advertised free wifi. Similarly, my partner requested information about laundry services, and she essentially told him he couldn't afford it. The following day, the man who was at the front desk was friendly and gladly handed over the codes. He truly saved this review from being 1 star, as he was the only person at the hotel who seemed at all interested in providing a positive customer service experience.

Obviously, you don't go to Paris for the wifi, and the hotel was conveniently close to the metro, it was in a safe area and was mostly clean. There were ants in our room (in the bathroom and on the desk and nightstands), but otherwise had clean sheets, towels, and common areas. I stayed at a total of 5 hotels while on this trip, and this was the only location where I did not feel welcome asking the hotel staff questions. It was also one of the less expensive places we stayed, so it's possible (but not appropriate) that customer service shouldn't be expected below a certain price point.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lindsey H
Benicia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

For a boutique hotel in the 3rd Arrondisement, I was pleasantly surprised by their attentiveness and overall service of this little gem. The clerk even gave me directions to get to Laduree for my macaroon fix, starting from the Metro up to the store itself. I am definitely staying here again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Bernard B
glenrothes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent a wkend here recently and the hotels facilities were pretty basic but must say as a base,it was a great place to stay.The hotel is ideally placed within 2 mins walk of the metro and from there all the major attractions are within 10 minutes,and also the public transport is fantastic and easy to use, after a few mishaps mind you lol.We would definitely stay there again, as feedback for the hotel the showers are a bit on the small side

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mark7383
Alba, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at Hotel Meslay for a week-end in February 2014.
The location is perfect: the République underground station is very close, less than two minutes walk. Our room, at first floor, was not so big, with carpet on the floor, but clean.
We slept well without any disturbance.
Continental breakfast was what we needed to start our trip in Paris and all the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Federico C
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Good one hotel, clean. Perfect in the position, near the metro and also near the central street of commerce. The room was confortable. The service was efficient, kind and always available to resolve the problem

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends