“Excellent hotel in a great location”

Hotel du Vieux Saule
Ranked #1,169 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Southampton
“Excellent hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during the Paris Marathon and found this hotel extremely good. Yes, our room was small but perfectly equipped. The bed was comfortable, the shower was powerful and the free Wi-fi worked. There's even an iron and ironing board. The only minor downside is the almost total lack of English speaking TV channels. Staff were helpful and everything was clean. The location is very good - near to the Jewish quarter and plenty of bars, restaurants and bakeries.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoanneSouthampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Located the hip Marais area, Hotel du Vieux Saule has a convenient location. It is within a stone's throw from the Marche des Enfants Rouges, Square du temple, and walking distance to the Temple metro station. The rooms are small, but that is not unusual in Paris. However, the upgraded rooms are large enough to move freely. My favorite is the large bathroom with skylights (I was on the top floor), which was beautiful to look at while taking a bath.

Breakfast is standard - assortment of pastries, cured meats, eggs, and coffees. Service is prompt and attentive...the front desk recommended nice places to eat nearby. The best of all....my favorite Algerian restaurant in Paris (Chez Omar) is less than a block away. The eateries in the Marche des Enfants Rouges are quite delightful as well, particularly Le Traiteur Marocain - the family-run Moroccan eatery.

Definitely recommended if you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced, and conveniently located hotel in Paris.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank The_Nomadic_Doctor
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We have only stayed at the hotel for one night ; the hotel is nicely located close to Metro, walking distance ( for us) to Pompidou, Louvre etc
We loved the cute lift , the room was very clean, amazing design for comfort and chic. Staff friendly and helpful as we have left the luggage at the hotel and is secure. The room was not quite ready on our arrival but that was not an issue for us as we have dropped our luggage and went sight seeing. We would say it is a pretty little place, good for short city break, not suitable for families or people who likes spacious surroundings ! perfect for us, really enjoyed it.Thank you

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CostaandStephie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We were in Paris to celebrate a family birthday and all decided to stay at different hotels. Whilst our hotel seemed nice enough when we arrived and we knew the space would be compact due to location we had chosen we were not overly impressed with the room itself. However it was a short city break and it was perfectly ok for what we needed.

We noticed on our first night that the plate glass shower door was a bit wonky but it seemed secure and we had no cause for concern.

On having a shower the next morning I noticed it was sort of hard to close so I asked my boyfriend to help 'hook' the door up so it would shut. He then went for a shower and did the same thing - during the shower he needed to get some shampoo and opened the door only for the whole thing to completely come off its hinges and shatter all over the floor. He was locked in a bathroom, cut and covered in glass. Once we had managed to get him out we needed to get his cuts looked at so ventured down to reception. There was no manager available at first, no-one seemed too interested in helping us and there was not even a first aid box at the hotel.

We managed to stem the bleeding using a towel at which point a person who I think might have been the manager appeared. He told us he would go the pharmacy and get some things to treat my boyfriend. There were no trained first-aiders at the hotel which I was surprised about but as I had recently done a first-aid course we managed to get him patched up.

Once the 'manager' came to look at the room they realised just what had happened and apologised and moved us to another room. They mentioned this would be at no extra-cost (I should think not).

Other than when we left and needed to pay the bill (2 days later) we had no interaction with anyone from the hotel, no apology, nothing at all.

Whilst we both understand that accidents happen the way in which this was handled left a lot to be desired. If there was a minor problem I would question how well this hotel would deal with it in light of how poorly they dealt with what I regard as a very serious incident.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kateroy
London
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Hotel is in a quiet side street in a typical Parisian quartier. Metro stations are within about 5 min walk and it is only about 20 - 30 minute stroll to Notre Dame. Some very pleasant bistros and restaurants within easy walking distance - especially to north of hotel
Rooms at the back are very quiet - they are small but it is Paris and the info available says rooms are small although the modern decor might not be to everyone's taste. Bathroom is good. Reception was very good.
Breakfast is in the basement - very atmospheric, although food was not only average.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank readyyselon
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few months ago and received horrible service. I asked for management several times and was told there was no manager. The rooms are dirty, the staff is rude and they shouldn't bother having an elevator because it's so small no one can fit in it even without bags or suitcases! It's a pretty schetchy hotel and I was not comfortable there at all. I would never stay here again. The neighbourhood is great and fortunately there are many other hotels nearby that are much better with a much more helpful and friendlier staff.

Room Tip: Would not recommend this hotel!
Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa S

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Basel
Reviewed 5 January 2013

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. The room was especially small (even by Paris standards), the sheets were stained and dirty, and the staff was horrible. We got there at 2:30 and check in is at 2pm. We were told our room wouldn't be ready until 4pm. We had our baby with us who was sleeping in the stroller and al they said was 'well, the room isn't ready'. We asked for a discount on the room for the inconvenience and were told a harsh 'no'--no mention of even a free breakfast or anything at all. I asked to speak with a manager and mysteriously there was no manager available for the whole week. We put it behind us, enjoyed the week in Paris and then when we were leaving asked the receptionist to call us a taxi. She failed to mention that the taxis charge from their destination so when we were picked up the meter was already at 9 euros. It would have been nice if she mentioned that but the staff does not give much info in general and are not very helpful. Unfortunately I left my necklace in the room and called less than 24 hours later when I realized it and was told it was gone. i knew exactly where I put it in the room and when asked who cleaned the room was told no one had that information. Like I said, Paris is amazing but this hotel put a big damper on our trip. It was the worst hotel experience of our lives!!!

Room Tip: Tip: don't stay here!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jennifer n
vieuxsaule, Gérant at Hotel du Vieux Saule, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Madam,
as a manager I would like to respond to your notice point by point, that I found particularly vindictive and unjustified.
First of all you were accomodated in a double room measuring 19m², which I assure you is NOT small, ESPECIALLY for Paris standards!
Add that the sheets were dirty is irrelevant, why not having informed the reception?
Then I understand the inconvenience of not being able to have the room on arrival, unfortunately not all rooms can be clenedat the same time, so that is why the check-in time is FROM 2pm, we do our best to ensure that the waiting time is minimized. Claim a discount on arrival can not be accepted, is it why the staff was horrible?
Allways as a manager I met you two mornings in a row, I answered with politness and professionalism to your requests and even if you did not know who I was, not ONCE you asked for me, or told me about any problem.
Concerning the taxi we booked for you, Madam, every trip is paid from its starting point, and THAT everywhere in the World!
I will conclude that we are not thieves, Madam. I am sorry that you lost your necklace, but it has not been lost in the hotel. Employed maids are working here for years and are very trusted peolple. I also checked the room and did not find anything. The room has not been rented after your deparrture, so there was no risk that foreign persons took it.
Best regards. The Hotel du Vieux Saule, Paris.