“They should be ashamed of this place”
Review of Tonic Hotel Louvre

Tonic Hotel Louvre
Ranked #1,350 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The hotel had two redeeming qualities. The A/C worked well and the location is really convenient. There are several nice restaurants nearby and we had wonderful crepe dessert, twice, around the corner. So back to the hotel....if you were to rate this above 2 and say that it was on any side of good, I'd say the the best place you stayed at lately is the tent city in Munich.
This hotel is bad. Some of the staff were nice but I ran into one desk clerk that was miserable most of the time. I tried to explain my problem with the access to the wifi but she was uninterested in making any effort to help. I got the feeling that she just wanted me to go away and leave her alone. The wifi did not work int the room we were assigned, 501. I received it well in the lobby but never connected in the room on my iPhone. Other than that...a light in the room was hanging off the wall, ugliest decor with orange and dirty white walls that were in need of major painting. As mentioned in other reviews the elevator is tiny. My wife took the two bags in the elevator and I walked up the 4 flights to meet her to make the trek to the 5th floor. The stairs have an old runner which is not secured and is a tripping hazard. The elevator did not level out on the 4the floor which didn't instill any confidence of a well maintained unit. While there we experienced a power failure (not the fault of the hotel). What is the fault of the hotel is the lack of safe egress from the hotel. The stairwell with the unsafe runner had emergency lights that were out. Luckily we had daylight to get down the stairs at 8 AM. If this had been some emergency without power someone would get hurt. The carpets were old and dirty. The halls were dingy and looked as if they were decorated 30 years ago. The "queen" sized bed was essentially two cots placed side by side. I could overlook the lack of any "views" from the hotel but I do expect safe and clean. This hotel
lacked all in all of these areas. We stayed at an Ibis hotel that was just as small but it was clean and well maintained and gave you the confidence that in the case of an true emergency you had a chance of making it out alive. It could be very good but the obvious lack of attention says spend your euros somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GEMS35
There are newer reviews for Tonic Hotel Louvre

Reviewed 21 August 2012

great location in the louvre district, fab little cafes around and about and club 5mins round the corner.
30mins from charles de guille airport 60euro although you can get it cheaper.. older hotel as is usual for paris (buildings been there for 300 years apparently) staff were pleasant and helpful.
our friends had no 10 on the ground floor..great room that can accomadate 4 beds at a push, best room though...please dont expect much..this is a budget hotel, clean but dont expect luxury by any means.
bar downstairs that we didnt use but on the downsides.. i was in room 543..top floor virtually i the attic, rickety old lift..smallest iv ever seen doesnt even go to this floor felt abit ropey going up more stairs..felt creepy at night. good air con.
requested an iron to be given a frayed corded iron albeit it worked, most of the plugs in the room didnt work. we got told off for being loud on the first night which we was so it was fair. we got a cab to moulin rouge which was 20euro from the hotel

Room Tip: no 10, ground floor looks out on the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Great base for the Louvre and central Paris tourism. The rooms are smallish (typical for Paris) and a bit shabby. Reception staff were friendly (maybe it helps if you speak French?) and the hotel is relatively good value, we booked through Eurostar as part of a package. Noise from street only what you would expect from a city centre hotel, we did not notice it at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I booked this hotel after seeing it on Trip Advisor. When I arrived I noticed the reception was NOT the same as the picture. The rooms are filthy and run down NOT same as picture (we moved room 5 times). As you can see from my photographs, there was dangerous broken glass.

We were greeted by a rude and obnoxious young French women who ignored us when we entered and blanked our hello. We were barked at about 'the rules'. Staircase is uneven and dangerous, hallways being dark and run down.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. We changed room 5 times and each one was dirty and in disrepair. Photos on here...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank mikelund04
Reviewed 2 July 2012

HI,
I used this hotel as a base and only really slept in it as I was busy exploring Paris. I liked the furnishing of the room and the huge bath was a plus! For the price I paid it was very reasonable as its location is great (opposite the Louvre) and the rooms were very comfortable.
The noise levels from the street outside were quite annoying as they woke me up every night (sounded like tramps were fighting every night) but that's not the hotels fault.
I would recommend staying here for the price, location and quality.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

The room is charming and clean. I stressed the need for two beds when I called and booked the room and when we arrived, they had thrown in a third one :) The service is excellent. After a shower, our bathroom (which is very cool) flooded and the staff was on top of the problem within minutes.
On top of everything, the location is as perfect as you're going to get. We are only 3 blocks from the louvre and one from the pont neuve.
If you can book room 11, you will have the same experience we're having (minus the flooding hopefully [-:)

Room Tip: Room 11 is an excellent room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tess F
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

My family and I were visiting Paris as a graduation gift to myself. My grandmother booked the hotel via hotel.com not knowing about TA. We looked at the reviews and were immediately worried. The vibes we got was expensive, moldy, and shabby which was what we got.

You need to set up your own taxi/shuttle from the airport which was 70 euros. Definitely contact them through email several days before you arrive. The gentleman who picked us up was kind and gracious and helped us with our bags. He waited 2 hours for us and did not abandon us.

The staff at the hotel was wonderful and helped us with maps, the metro, and called for reservations for us. They were; however, not able to provide solid restaurant recommendations. Look on TA for them! The waiter at breakfast was a little short with our questions though. We do not recommend ordering breakfast there as there are plenty of pastry shops around the area where you can get a better more complete breakfast for less. They offered boiled eggs, meats and cheeses, yogurts, 2 types of cereal, whole milk, orange juice (darker, less tastier version than our own), rolls, coffee, and hot tea.

Our room was on the first floor with our room facing the street so it was noisy when people were walking by especially with a bar next door. We had to wear ear plugs to keep the noise out and sleeper masks to keep out the light that the curtain could not. The room was clean for the most part, the beds were firm, and there was limited closet space with no drawers to keep our clothes in. The furniture was a little old, but clean. No bed bugs!

The worst part was the shower. The shower is not what we are used to in the US. There is no shower stall. There was a shower head in the middle of the bathroom. The drain is located in the middle of the bathroom that was clogged and did not drain. You had to turn off the water in the middle of the shower and wait as the water slowly went down otherwise the bedroom would flood. There was no visible mold, except for the mildew on the shower curtain. Whenever you took your shower, there was a moldy smell that went away by the next morning. Also, do not expect any wash cloths - bring your own!

It was centrally located with only a couple blocks from the louvre and was close to 2 metro stations. This is what you are paying for in the price.

Overall it is clean, a bit shabby and has its own shortcomings. The staff definitely made up for the lack of luxury. It was actually a little better than expected from our reviews on TA.

2  Thank aneal12