“Will stay here again for Great location, clean rooms”
Review of Tonic Hotel Louvre

Tonic Hotel Louvre
Ranked #1,508 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
“Will stay here again for Great location, clean rooms”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The best two things about this hotel are its location and the rooms: clean, with that old world character. The location - walking distance to Louvre and the shopping at Rue Rivoli and the metro thru Chatelet station. I would stay here again. The elevator was also quite good - compared to quite a number of hotels in Paris, this elevator is above - average in size. The breakfast, I found expensive. The taxi to the airport they booked for us charged 80euro- compared to 56euro we paid from the airport, and they essentially said we had no choice. The wifi did not work at all. And yes, there was no coffee or free water in the room. The staff was generally ok. Still, a little expensive overall.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I would definitely recommend Hotel du Tonic, Room 401, in Paris. It's an old bldg that wasn't originally designed to be a hotel and, therefore, all the rooms are different. Hence, the mixed reviews - I guess. But Room 401 was outstanding (for an economy hotel in the best of locations!); yes, the room was small but it was large enough for a suitcase rack plus a long table for another suitcase. We had room to separate our beds and there was a night table to boot! The bathroom was redone in all white marble which looked, felt and was very clean, albeit tiny. The elevator (obviously installed after original construction was done) allowed one person & suitcase but did its job well. (When I was in a hurry, I just used the grand spiral staircase that is hidden away for staff use) The hotel was perfect for us!...clean & reasonably priced AND within easy walking distance to the Louvre, Orsay, and (if we hadn't gotten lost) the Rodin Museums. The Notre Dame was the closest in the opposite direction. The Metro station was just around the corner -- which we took to get to the fashion outlet mall outside Paris. Restaurants and shops abound! But the best reason to stay at the Tonic?.....was the staff! We encountered 5 and all were friendly, helpful and very accommodating! We dealt mainly with Ana and she was THE BEST!
I didn't book the Tonic until March but if I had booked it early Jan, I would have had an even better price. Paris is expensive -- People who want 'cheaper' might want to check out the hostels in the area and people who want accommodations like home should open their wallets wider. Paris was a 3-day stopover for us. As a point for comparison, 4-and 5-star hotels in Athens and Beijing (that we stayed in on same trip) were all less expensive than what we paid in Paris at the Tonic. But Paris is worth it, and little boutique hotels showing its age gracefully (including creaky elevators) is just part of that experience!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 401. I booked through Booking.com and the booking agent actually spoke to Ana directly...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PrincessSophie_13
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I had read about the tiny lift, the amazing location and seen the photos of the unusually quirky bare bricked rooms....and I knew to avoid the overpriced breakfast....but for the price of this well positioned room I most definitely could have found much better. It is mere walking distance from the louvre, the Notre Dame and the centre Pompidou in the heart of the shopping area. However, the toiletries so proudly advertised are not worth the mention, the room pokey, the Shower unreliable and the towels small. There was nowhere to hang a towel, and for over £150 a night I would have at least expected some water or coffee in the room.

The hotel is buoyed by the lovely cares, fromageries and patisseries around and about...a little more cash would get a lot more and a lot less would get you the same...this is barely 2 star, let alone 3.

Room Tip: Ask if there are still road works.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Suzysyzygy

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Whidbey Island, Washington
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed at the Tonic in January. Great location very close to Notre Dame, the Louve, etc. The staff really are fantastic. Very accommodating.

Rooms very in size greatly. I had a very nice room overlooking the main street. HUGE windows. Really enjoyed the location, staff and facilities.

Room Tip: Good idea to make sure you view the rooms. I noticed there were some very small rooms at this Hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank richhin
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

me and my daughter stayed there for 5 nights... the room is small but more than enough ,,,the aging well cared features gives you a real feel of paris,,,,the location is great ....staff reflected a great image of central paris multicultural reality...they were very caring and helpful...........the place is clean and comfortable , the big window is very well insulated for street noise which only occurred for few minutes around 8 am yet we could not hear it on 3rd floor.....free wifi was great........prices for.fridge.bar contents and laundry services were out of this planet.... few light bulbs neede to be changed but we did not bother

Room Tip: pick higher floor
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ghada A
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Me and my three friends stayed here over the easter break. I was pleasantly suprised with the rooms as I too had read the reviews and was worried. Our room 102 was small but light and clean. It had two beautiful floor to ceiling windows which let in the sunlight, the bathroom was small but had everything you needed and it had one of the best showers Ive had in a hotel - hot and powerful!! The location was by far the best bit of it all, 5 mins from the Louvre 10 mins from Notre Dame and 1 min from the metro station which linked in to all the major line... Just awsome! Also just round the corner was the most amazing boulangerie selling gorgeous crossaints and little desserts. The staff were always on hand to give us any advice we needed and they all had a cheery disposition about them. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Paris on a budget but not wanting to compromise on location. Lovely little hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank HJW267
England
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I booked this hotel after being given a very tight budget for a four friends weekend away. After looking at hotels within our budget I decided the location was going to be the most important. The reviews for this hotel weren't the best and I have to admit I was worried. To keep costs down we had opted to book a room with four singles.

When we arrived, we were amazed at its location, close to all the shops, the Louvre right around the corner as well as the metro. Which we nicknamed the magic line, as it seemed everywhere we wanted to go was on the same metro line.

After check in, went over to the elevator, and opening the door discovered the smallest lift in the world. So one person climbed in with all our luggage. As amusing as the lift was, it worried me what we would find our room to be like.

Relief, such relief when we walked it to a spacious room (for Paris) clean, nice bathroom with jet bath, small fridge, TV and safe. The beds comfortable and extra pillows at hand.

Now I wouldn't say this was luxury, or my first choice for a Paris hotel, but we found very little to complain about.

The hot water was on a steam system, so make sure you turn the dial timer before you need it. The room could do with an extra mirror from just the one in the bathroom and that's about all.

We did find it noisy on the Saturday night when the local bar closed, so maybe worth asking for a room not facing the street.

I'd stay again and recommend for all those looking for great location and price.

• Stayed March 2013