“Great location, terrible stay...”
Review of Tonic Hotel Louvre

Tonic Hotel Louvre
Ranked #1,436 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
“Great location, terrible stay...”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Like many other reviewers my family and I stayed in this hotel after seeing all of the charming photos online. Upon arrival we were amazed at how perfect the location truly was, it was not even a five minute walk to the Louvre. Our room on the other hand was terrible. Everything was filthy. The closet and shower had broken doors. There was mold growing in the shower, around the toilet and even on the ceiling in the shower area. We were very careful to make sure we did not touch anything while in the bathroom. The bedroom was very small, I have traveled all around Europe and have never stayed in a room this tiny. We requested a room big enough for three people, and what we got was a room with one bed maybe a full, and a mattress on the floor. Breakfast was free, terrible but free.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Emily L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location for the Metro and popular tourist attractions. Great cafes and restaurants a few minutes walk away. The staff are quite friendly and speak good English. We were offered a free drink of Kir in the bar which was very nice!

This hotel has 2 lifts and 2 staircases that are not connected and lead to different parts of the hotel, we stayed at the back of the hotel and can't comment on these facilities at the reception end of the hotel.

It's a quirky/ rustic hotel that needs some updating. We stayed in a room on the fifth floor. The lift only takes you to the forth floor. The room itself had a small lobby with a flight of stairs that lead up to the fifth floor. Health and safety was non existent with no alternative escape if there was a fire. If you don't like travelling up in the tiny lift ( big enough for just about two people) you can use the very interesting stair case. As you walk up they get worse and worse resembling a stair case from a haunted house!!

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for lower rooms on floors 1/2
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Clare Fay F
san antonio texas
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Ok, on their website, the pictures they had were fantastic. Rustic looking rooms with exposed wood beams and exposed brick walls, charming....ok, I'm sold. Room I got was completely the opposite. No exposed wood beams or brick. It was an ugly bright orange colored wall. Room was incredibly tiny. So tiny that I could not even open the bathroom door fully, because it would HIT the bed. Yes, you are THAT close to the bathroom, you can look up and stare directly at your toilet. I had to walk to the bathroom sideways because the door would only open a crack. Haha, it was just a funny experience. (not in a good way) NO counter space at all. You had a choice of putting your towel, or or clothes, or the toilet paper on the counter, but not all 3. NO towel racks, no toilet paper roll holder. Their solution was to put in a plastic stool underneath the sink and place your clean towels there. Ok, the plastic stool was gross and dirty. I don't know how you feel about your clean towels sitting on a dirty plastic stool, UNDERNEATH the sink - you know where all the piping is, and where dirty water would drip? Ugh, disgusting. Water was horrible. It was either piping steaming hot or frigidly cold. If you turn the handle a tiny bit, the water would be burning hot, you could not stand under it, then you turn it a tiny bit the other way, and it would be ice cold...you had to choose between taking a burning hot shower or an ice cold shower...nothing warm or soothing. NO ventilation system, so every time you showered, steam built up and it felt like you were in an inferno. So much steam, hard to breath. This is all in a TINY bathroom. You can stand there and turn around, pivot, but you could not walk. Haha, its just funny to think about how small this place was. Stand in bathroom, turn to left is bathtub, turn to right is toilet, but really no room to move, just pivot. Just to further illustrate how small this place was - the side table - you could not open the drawers. The drawers were flush up against the BED! You open the drawers you hit the bed. You open the bathroom door, you hit the bed...haha, its funny. One night, I needed to do some work, didn't want to disturb my roommate, so I went to lobby to do some work. Sat down on a chair, and fell off!!! The chair did not have all of its legs. It only had 2 front legs, and then it was pushed up against a wall. So, by looking it it, it appears as though the chair is sitting up, but if you sit on it, you fall off, because the chair only had 2 of the 4 legs! Haha. 2 back legs were missing. Geez. OMG, the elevator is an even funnier story. The elevator was so small, there was only room for 2 people, or 1 person and 1 luggage. Haha, and I'm talking about an average size person, if you were slightly overweight, you would not fit. I was with my friend, and the 2 of us would fit in elevator, but you had to stand right up next to each other, arms down straight if you want to fit. Again, no shifting around, you can only pivot to get around. Shuffle and pivot. Haha, the more I think about it, it is just funny. And that was the attitude I took. This place was horrible, but it was just funny. The good thing about it was - and one of the major reason I booked it was because of the location. It was very close to everything. It is a nice area - the Louvre, and you will be close to all the main attractions. Many restaurants close by. Grocery store, laundromat, bar close by. Restaurants around the corner, pharmacy across the street, so everything you need right outside your door. So, in that way, its nice. I'm the type of person who doesn't really care too much about hotels, because when I'm on vacation, I'm out sightseeing and doing things, I'm only back at hotel to sleep. If I really wanted a comfortable place to sleep and spend indoors, I'd stay at my house. The hotel served its purpose, a safe place to stay for the night. Don't expect frills, big nice fancy rooms. Internet was free, but it would cut you off every 4 hours. You would have to get a new password every 4 hours. Also, just funny. A plus is that staff is very nice and helpful. Oh, one last funny thing - the stairway. The stairway is littered with all their excess beds and furnitures...so if you decide to use the stairs instead of the shoebox of an elevator, you would encounter beds, mattresses, headboards, chairs, desks...all in the steps of the stairways. Haha, they have all this furniture, and no place to put it, so they just stick it in the stairway...oh my...Its an ok hotel, but I would not pay for it again.

Room Tip: Was on 4th floor, facing street, very noisy. Not sure where you would get a better room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gigglebutts

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Warner Robins
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I saw some of the other reviews, and I guess for this hotel, it really depends on which room you're in. I stayed in Room 11, which was on the ground floor (so no lift needed). The room was twice as large as I expected, with 3 single beds (although 2 were side by side). I thought very spacious by Paris standards, especially for this price range. My bed was pretty comfortable. The shower/bath was huge, and well appointed, particularly by local standards -- so much so, I took pictures. I also found the staff very helpful, competent and fluent in English. I arrived at 1245pm and asked to store my bags while I visited the Louvre, and the clerk said "let me check if your room is available". Which it was, and I was allowed to check in early. There are also plenty of restaurants adjacent to the hotel. The bar at the corner has café for 1 euro, and tap beer for 2.50 euros/glass. Even though I was on the ground floor, the room was fairly quiet. There's not much traffic on the street, even on a Friday night. I'd definitely go back.

Great location if you're visiting the Louvre or the Orsay.

Room Tip: Room 10 & 11 are on the ground floor. I'd ask for one of these if available. Not sure if t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Hotel in February and found it to be a quirky hotel.
Good Points: The Location is perfect, most of the sites are very close to this hotel which makes walking to them slightly easier and the serivce provided by the staff was really good. They were all very friendly and spoke good English. They were especially helpful with telling us how to get to the Train Station via Metro as the Taxis were on strike. Also our room was located in the roof of the building which meant it was rather spacious and away from any noise. However, the windows provided no view and it did get extremely hot in the evenings.

What most people I've seen complain about is the lift, which yes it is way too small and I was scared it was going to break down half the time, however the stair were all crooked which made using them an interesting experience. My biggest problem with the hotel was the beds. They were incredibly uncomfortable and the pillows seemed to be stuffed with bits of foam. I am only 21 yet I woke up with aches and pains each day after I slept.

The rooms were relatively clean, however I do think some maintenance is required for the entire hotel just to bring it up to date.

Overall, the hotel was not the greatest but it served it's purpose and if I did go back I probably would go to this hotel again. We booked this hotel through the Eurostar package for £350 for two of us. This was a really good deal for a 3 night stay and travel and so it did make Tonic Hotel decent as we paid a relatively cheap price for it. If we had spent more then we would have expected better.

You could defintitely do worse the the Tonic Hotel in Paris for a higher price, so don't right it off too quickly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mselliemarie
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I'm well aware that you're paying for location here, and that's why it's so expensive considering what you get for your money. Even so, it's a bit ridiculous.

Booked a double room - got a twin room.
Minibar never refilled.
Lift can fit two people, or their luggage, not both.

Luckily you can choose to open the window to let some of the insane heat out, or keep it closed to keep out the insane noise levels of the street below (building work commencing at 5am - not the hotel's fault, but something to be aware of).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AndyAiken
Naples, Italy
Reviewed 15 January 2014

- first of all: the position of this hotel is perfect
- the staff is kind & helpful
- overall the quality/price ratio is great

- the only donwside:
1) rooms aren't really spacious
2) if you suffer sleeping in hot rooms, you're gonna have some hard times...rooms are super hot even with the heater off!! there are pipelines crossing the room that bring heat to the rooms above...even if you turn off the heater, the room is gonna get hot anyway...!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple