“Great location and excellent sleep quality in a busy city”

Best Western Star Champs Elysees
Ranked #558 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
HQ:Finland
“Great location and excellent sleep quality in a busy city”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed for three nights at the Best Western Star Champs Elysées. I have to admit, this hotel was not my choice as this was a business/seminar trip but I could not have been happier with my stay.

The hotel is situated on a small street behind the L'Arc de Triomphe. It is also very close to the Air France stop (just 3-5 minutes walk away). The location, although not grand, provides a good sleep quality as it is away from the bigger streets. You also have a plethora of restaurants and bars around you and the closest metro stop is only 3-5 minutes walk away.

The room was small but cozy and kept spotless by the cleaning service. The bed (which is usually the gripe for many hotels around the world) was firm but comfortable and the pillows and duvets were soft and fluffy. There's a free wifi that worked without a hitch in the room (but connection would be lost in the downstairs breakfast room).

The front desk service is friendly and effective. It was nice to exchange some pleasantries with the staff and during my whole stay I felt that if I would have had a problem with anything, they would have helped me promptly. I lost my towel (which happened to be white just like the hotel towels) and it was returned to me laundered (the cleaner must have taken it by mistake). Also the check-in and check-out processes were handled very quick. The reason why I couldn't give a full five stars for service is because of the breakfast room service. The tables were not cleaned very quickly and sometimes guests had to wait to get a seat (as did I once and it was just before 8am). Also, the guy working at the breakfast room would speak in a very low voice and only in French which caused some problems with my language skills. The weird thing about this was that everytime I was leaving the breakfast room, he would regain his ability to speak English. This happened each morning. If the breakfast room service had been a bit more fluid, I would have given five stars for service.

The breakfast is served in a downstairs room. The room gets really warm (at least in the spring and summer) so I suggest dressing accordingly. The buffet breakfast is good and you get fresh juice, bread, cold cuts, cheese, yoghurt, cereal, eggs, sausages, fruit etc. from a buffet table. You also get tea or coffee upon request (included in the breakfast).

Even though I chose this hotel because it was suggested to me by the seminar arranger and I would probably naver had ended up there on my own, I really liked the place. The best things for me were the location and the sleep quality. I love it when hotels have real duvets and not those blanket+sheet combos. So if these are the things you value, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Since the hotel is on a small quiet street, you don't have to worry about sleep quality when cho...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
itsasmendi, General Manager at Best Western Star Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
dear Sir,
many thanks for taking some of your time and looking at the detailed review you have posted it took quiet some of your time to write it . it always does help me to reinforce our policies regarding the level of service we want to achieve when this is so detailed and accurate. .
the new guy at the breakfast service is an English speaking person who might be too shy as he just started 2 weeks ago. the training is still in progress and your review will help my housekeeper to finish the job.
i will also add one more wifi Equipment in the breakfast room to make sure you get your connection at all times in the hotel
thanks for staying with even if you didn't choose the hotel
have a good week end
best regards
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
ontario
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Loved this hotel. It was a little difficult to find at first but once we got our bearings, it was in a super location, just a few minutes walk from the Arc de Triomphe. Close to Charles de Gaulle Etoille metro station and the aero bus to the airport on Carnot. Sure, the elevator is small, but this is Europe. That's the norm. Don't expect the same type of room that you get in North America. The hotel was very clean and the staff was really helpful. Jean Loup at the front desk was a great help to us. We had a great room and the bathroom was small, again, the norm in Europe, but it was clean, well stocked and suited our purpose. Overall this hotel met all of our needs and I would stay here again. We didn't have the breakfast so I can't comment on it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
itsasmendi, Directeur général at Best Western Star Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
dear Sir,
I am delighted to read your comment posted about us I shared it with my team to show how important is everyone's job in the hotel.
keep well and don't hesitate to tell your friends about our dedication to our valuable guests at all time.
Kent
Reviewed 5 May 2014

So this lovely end to my otherwise excellent trip took place last week, beginning of May. I had just got in from the south quite late and needed a stop over before moving onwards the next day. Initial thoughts were good, the area was nice (I stayed there in the Mercure Wagram merely a few days before, much better by the way) and the hotel lobby was fine. The man who checked me in was polite, even though I was tired!
I then went to my tiny of tiniest rooms (even by Parisian standards) and unpacked a little, thought I best head to bed as it was quite late. I tried to go to the toilet and because being over 6'2 meant I could not shut the separate toilet door, meaning I was basically going to the toilet on my bed, (it's next to your head where you sleep by the way). This was annoying. I then got into bed and my feet were hanging out the bottom. So I tried to sleep and get this night over and done with, yet around 10 minutes in I was awoken by a lady being violently sick for about 20 minutes. I thought this was next door and that it would stop allowing me to sleep. How I was wrong. My actual neighbours came back around when this woman was better. I completely knew it was them as there was talking, slamming of doors and running of taps. To be honest it sounded as if they were in my room, the soundproofing is utterly terrible. I found out the lady was actually under my neighbours on the floor below!
So, after 1 hour of me trying to get to sleep I finally did. Then, guess what? I was woken up in the morning again by some other neighbours, who weren't even loud, just brushing their teeth (!) and talking normally, yet of course I heard it. After my night of about 6 hours sleep at most I just wanted out. The room was dark and dingy even with the curtains open in the morning as well. However, after looking around my room to see if I'd left anything behind I noticed some disgusting things. They are as follows:
- There was a brown stain on my sheets, not even tiny, quite large. This is not acceptable even in a 3 star hotel.
- After the above I did some more research. There were hairs on the towels underneath the one I had used. Had they even been washed?!
- The mini fridge was next to my head at the top of the bed. It had a boiling hot pipe running down the back of it and I was surprised I did not burn my hand during the night as I almost did on discovering it!

The positives were merely the front desk people. They were good.

As I was out early for my train that day I did not have time to complain and show pictures to the front desk. Overall, an appalling stay, it ruined the last day of my otherwise perfect trip to France. I actually stayed in a semi decent hotel in Arizona which was a Best Western, and that was 'fine', yet this has completely warned me away from them. I will never again be staying in this hotel nor a Best Western.

Room Tip: None, especially not on the 5th floor looking to the 'courtyard'.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
dear sir,
first of all I would like to apologize for your bad moment of truth you experienced while staying in our Hotel .
this kind of comment you just wrote is very important for all of us at the hotel and give us the opportunity to get better every day . I am also 6'3 and fully understand your problem but to avoid such situation in the future don't hesitate to mention it at the time of the booking or upon arrival in order to ask for a bigger room . what is not acceptable is the stain on the bed sheet and the hairs on the towels i will have to reinforce some of the process put in place to avoid such problem. I presume that the room you stayed in, is on the top floor (not knowing your name or your date of stay i can only assume) is the one nearby another one which i am thinking of redesigning to create one room only . I am glad to read you found the quality of our front staff people very good again i do apologize for this and to show you my goodwill would like to invite you for a free stay at your convenience in our hotel for you to have the real feeling of what we have been doing for years to get- as you said- so many good comments from our guests posted on tripadvisor.
funny enough 2 days after your comment another good comment was posted as usual on tripadvisor , the guest was delighted once again. we must be doing something right and this is what I want to show you as my only concern is caring about our guests at all time.
this is why I have been doing this job for 30 years with success .
i remain
yours faithfully
GM
you may contact me directly at the hotel to settle the deal offered to you.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

i stayed there with my family for 3 nights in march 2014, the room was nice and clean and the location was very comfortable, just a few minutes walk from the metro and the champs elysees and at night we could even see the eiffel tower lights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OhayonBar
itsasmendi, General Manager at Best Western Star Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
dear sir
all the team is happy to read that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us in the best western star champs elysees in Paris and thank you for posting a comment . we are always very carefull about the comments of our guests to continously improve the level of service provided.
have a good day
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The room was Ok, fairly small but standard for centrally located Paris digs. It was very conveniently located. Definitely sop around for prices as we booked through Best Western at a rate that was $150 Euro while colleagues of mine booked the same dates the day before arrival and received a $120 Euro rate which included breakfast. If you do not get a breakfast inclusive rate, they charge around $18 Euro for a pretty Spartan spread of pastries and cold cuts, with some eggs if you are lucky. You can definitely do a lot better for breakfast within a 2 block walk of the hotel...

Room Tip: Don't pay for the breakfast, go elsewhere if it is not included in your rate.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
dear valuable guest,
we would like to thank you for giving us a feedback on your last stay at the best western star champs elysees in Paris .
we do have different categories of room and i suggest you book a Superior room next time you visit us in Paris which are bigger than the standard room allocated this time to you..
the breakfast is a hot buffet served from 7 AM TO 10.30 AM at 13 euros per person, which offers a lot of products such as fresh orange juice , bacon, scrambled eggs , différents saussages, yogourts, frest fruit salad lots of ham mortadella etc... thanks for staying with us
have a great day
DG
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Good price for location, free water and coca cola but rooms are tiny and the lift took forever, staff polite and although I had breakfast in my rate I did not eat there so cannot give any feedback. Ok to sleep in but due to my workload I was hardly in so hence the ok review.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
itsasmendi, Directeur général at Best Western Star Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
dear sir ,
we are glad that you took some times to answer our Survey and we thank you for the imput .
we are happy to read that the hotel was to your liking and that the service proposed met your expectation
we hope to welcoming you once again in the best western star champs elysees in Paris
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The hotel is very good located, just few min from l'arc de trionphe . room was small but very nice warm and clean. the stuff was very friendly and incredibly helpful, they help us a lot . recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alex f
itsasmendi, General Manager at Best Western Star Champs Elysees, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
dear guest it was a pleasure having you with us at the best western star champs elysees in Paris and can read from the guest's comment that you did enjoy your stay with us . we are happy to make one's stay a memorable one and all the team is dedicated to the hotel and the brand.
have a great day