“Cozy Room and Friendly Staa”
Review of Hotel Bonaparte

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Bonaparte
Ranked #1,013 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just returned after a solo trip to Paris and my sray was made even better by the staff at the hotel. They were friendly and offered great advice on food and on providing directions to places in the area. i had a single room, which I found quite large. The bed was comfortable and the shower was pwrfect. Lots of hot water and good pressure. My room was quiet, and I slept with the window open. I have found my new go to hotel inParis. I also loved the neighborhood and felt very safe wandering around in the early morning and evening.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LibraryTraveler41

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I put a lot of work into finding a hotel in Paris combing Trip Advisor (TA) forums and asking TA'ers for advice. It was my first time in Paris and as a woman traveling solo, location, cost and positive reviews were critical to making my choice. I'm so happy I chose Hotel Bonaparte. The location is fantastic; it's very close to La Seine, the street itself has a lot of shops, including a well known Pharmacy for anyone who likes discounted French cosmetics or products. There's a beautiful French bakery across the street and around the corner is a beautiful courtyard with Place St. Sulpice. There's also a police station which suggests there's more security.

It's in the St.Germain de Pres area which has wonderful shopping and cafes and it's close to Luxombourg Gardens. The metro is also very close by as is a taxi stand (you can only get taxi's at a stand).

My room was on the second floor and it was facing the street. It was a lovely room, simple but comfortable. It was quite spacious which I gather is unusual for Paris given many of the reviews I've read for other hotels. The bathroom was also quite spacious. There were large windows that opened up if you wanted to let in the sights and sounds of the city. It was a quiet street so no issues with noise from the street at night.

Frederic was very helpful to me. I arrive on a Saturday afternoon and fortunately my room was ready. I told him that I intended to visit a few museums but first that I wanted to take the hop on/hop off bus to orient myself. He provided me with a map of the city and a map of the bus route and suggested taking the green line, which takes you around all of the major sites. He also told me where to go that was close by to get a museum pass.

I would definitely go back to this hotel on a future trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Ruttegger
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We are just now waiting for or flight to Genoa after an eight night stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, which we think is underrated on TripAdvisor, perhaps because now almost all the rooms have been renovated.

First the good: Fabulous location, 5 minute walk to the Luxumbourg Gardens, just next to Place St Sulpice,on a quiet street, with taxi stands, two metros and several buses right there. We walked almost everywhere: 20 minutes to the Louvre, the Orsay, 25 to the Rodin museum and the Eiffel Tower, a longer but doable walk over to the Right Bank and up the Champs Élysées and over to musée Jacque-Mart André etc.

Our hotel room was large, attractively decorated in shades of grey, with a full bath and large window, more than enough space to put a week's supply of stuff out of the way. I also saw a much smaller room, freshly painted a soft taupe with large lovely bathroom. The staff graciously accommodated my request at the bed be double sheeted, as well as kindly offering themselves up as an exile francaise, helping me improve my VERY intermediate French. Magdalena, the manager, was lovely.

In not so short, this will be our new home in Paris. It's drawbacks are relatively unimportant to us: small elevator (we took the stairs), few amenities, breakfast just OK. I forgot--it was super clean,there are grocery stores nearby, and each room sports a refrigerator in which to store them. You can buy Evian at front desk, free wifi.

My one big request would be rubber mats for the bathtubs. I fell once, did not hurt myself, but could have. management seemed responsive to my complaint. no shower curtain was just fine with us.

Alors, merci a tout, nous revenirons!

Room Tip: Ask specifically for what you want
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Very well located amid bars, restaurants and shops, very close to Metro St. Sulpice. Orsay museum and river walkable.
We took slightly more expensive triple room on lower floor for extra space. Bathroom (shower) was small but adequate. Friends in a double on higher floor had reasonable bedroom and larger bathroom.
Breakfast is simple French buffet. Lift is tiny, taking max. one person and a case. Staff were consistently pleasant. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Lower floors avoid using lift
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BritRich750
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I'd definitely stay here again. I stayed here solo beginning of October 2013. Have very limited French, so relieved that the staff had good English. Very friendly, helpful staff. The location was perfect and the hotel area quiet yet safe. Near St. Germaine metro station that I used a lot and St. Sulpice metro. The lobby is more appealing than my room. My room was a great size. Appreciated the little refrigerator, table with chair, plenty of space,and wardrobe cabinet. Would like to have a coffee maker or electric water pot. I was on an upper floor, nice elevator, but liked taking the circular steps. The bathroom had a shower with curtain, small sink, but there was a shelf for items. It appeared to be remodeled recently. There was a small entrance to the room, then another door. I'm sure it kept out any noise. However, my room desperately needed a redo. The carpet was worn, the wallpaper appeared to be original, and I hope they get away from the bedspreads. Also liked that they had a group service with other hotels for a van to the airport that saved me a bundle. Everyone I met at the hotel seemed to like it and had stayed there before.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank C K M
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is located several blocks from the Metro station in the St Germaine area. We walked to Notre Dame and the Louvre easily, and to Metro stops for several different lines, including the one for Versailles. We purposely chose a 3 star hotel to offset other expenditures on the trip, so we were not expecting 5 star furnishings or service. The lobby was undergoing a complete paint job when we were staying - and it looked great when finished. The lobby was small and simple with a front desk and enough room to stand. A sitting room off the lobby had a comfortable sofa, chairs and a TV. The day manager was friendly and spoke perfect English. We were given a room on the first floor, and shown to the elevator. One person and one suitcase at a time were possible in the elevator - but it was nice to have for luggage. The steps wound around the elevator. Our room was closest to the floor lavatory and steps, and we could hear people in the hall from time to time - but nothing at all like staying in a Holiday Inn when a travel team is in residence. Our room was small, as we expected, with the shower and sink in separate "rooms" - both the size of small powder rooms or decent sized closets. This was weird, but once we got used to crossing the bedroom to wash hands after using the toilet, we didn't mind. The shower was in the bathtub, with no curtain, so we did have to be careful with spray. We didn't see many shower curtains in Europe - I am not sure why. The furniture was a mix of older hotel stock - not in bad shape, but nothing worn out or broken - no antiques, but certainly quaint. The bed was a queen and was comfortable. We had bed tables, a table for the laptop or eating with 2 chairs, and a full size wardrobe. The room was very clean and there was no smell of cigarettes or mold - both of which would have been an issue. We did have a window in an alcove that opened onto a tiny courtyard with 3 other windows - so we kept the sheer curtains closed for privacy. The real curtain blocked all light from the window at night.
The hotel does not have room service, nor was there a coffee pot in the room, but when I went down to the front desk one evening to ask for hot water for tea, the night manager went into the kitchen and fetched 2 coffee cups and a carafe of boiling water. Luckily he had just enough English, and I had just enough French to make this happen.

The breakfast buffet was self-service. Espresso coffee, Hot water and tea bags, orange and apple juice, milk and several types of cereal and yogurt - And of course croissants and buns. We STRONGLY recommend the croissants. We had free WiFi in our room and in the sitting room off the lobby. When I lost the passcode twice, the managers cheerfully issued me a new one. As in most places in Europe, there was no refrigerator in the room. If we return to Paris, we would definitely choose to come back to this hotel. The hotel manager helped us book a taxi for the airport which made our departure easy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank b1sally
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Bonaparte in October, 2013. We found it very comfortable, clean (seemed freshly painted and decorated), and the staff running the hotel could not have been nicer and more accommodating to us. They routinely gave us information on sites to visit and the best way to get there, whether to take the metro, city bus, or just walk. When we had a problem using the computer in the lounge, the night clerk willingly came to our aid and fixed the problem. Our room was a good size for hotels in Europe as was the bathroom. I suppose the towels could have been better, but that is a minor issue. We found the location of this hotel to be excellent. We could walk easily to the Luxembourg Palace and gardens, the Pantheon on the left bank, Ile de la Cite to see Notre Dame just to name a few places. It is also just around the corner from a metro stop. (St. Sulpice) There is a breakfast offered for around 10 or 12 Euros, but we felt it was cheaper to go to a cafe nearby for breakfast. We found one on the Boulevard St. Germain a few blocks away that offered 2 croissants and a cafe au lait or hot chocolate for under 4 Euros. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for comfort, convenience, cleanliness and a helpful staff at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple