“Highly recommended”

Ranked #551 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Bay Area in California
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 19 September 2007

I have been to Paris twice. First in 2004 and second in 2006. I stayed over 5eme and stayed at hotels ranked here on Tripadvisor. I decided to stay over the Marais, because I realized I haven't explored the right bank at all. After reading a few travel books and researching the internet, I decided to stay at Castex Hotel. It's my Mom's first Paris visit and I wanted her to enjoy it. I totally enjoyed the atmosphere of the Marais and highly recommend staying at Castex Hotel. As a matter of fact, I prefer this hotel over the 2 hotels i previously stayed at (which I also found from tripadvisor).
The hotel is about 1 1/2 blocks away from the Bastille Metro(Saint Antoine exit). The hotel is walkable in my opinion to Notre Dame, Pompadour (I obviously like to walk). Don't forget to checkout Amorino (good Gelato) right in front of the Pompadour. I will definitely stay at the Castex Hotel again.

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Los Angeles,CA
Reviewed 30 August 2007

HORRIBLE AND FILTHY- Didn't anyone check their beds?

I don't understand these other reviews.. Yes the bathroom was ok, but the sheets were dirty, and I had to change them myself since there was no staff available! We slept in our clothes, and couldn't wait to leave .
I think Rick Steve should take it out of his book, although they do book his tours through this place.
Tiny dirty rooms, peeling paint, bad locks, and terrible breakfast.
A total waste of time. Almost ruined our first experience of Paris.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — cleanliness and dark and dank , depressing
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Wolffgroup
New Zealand
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We loved our stay at the Catex. The hotel is very convenient to the Bastille metro station and a short stroll from Notre Dame and the Seine. The area is very lively right in Marais but the Rue Castex is very quiet. It is close to many restuarants.
The room we had was comfortable, clean and charming. The consierge was very helpful and friendly. This was such a lovely spot to stay in Paris for great value, I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tell_me_how
Whistler, BC
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel and were very impressed. The front desk staff (24 hours) were friendly and helpful. The room #504 was small but spotless and quiet (it overlooks a rooftop courtyard and is away from traffic noise). The bed was comfortable (2 singles pushed together). We really appreciated the free WIFI and internet. The air-conditioning, while not needed while we were there as we had a cool, rainy spell of weather, kept the room cool and the air circulating. The breakfasts were included for us as we used Rick Steve's France book for a discount (stay 5 nights get the 5th night free and all breakfasts). I found that the breakfasts were just right with enough choices. The hotel's location was perfect--close to Bastille metro stop and within walking distance of Notre Dame and many other sites. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
New Orleans, La
Reviewed 24 August 2007

This hotel was charming. Small, as are all hotels in Paris, but that just added to the charm. The staff is extremely attentive and eager to help. We unfortunately only got to stay one night because we actually moved to this hotel to be close to Gare de Lyon train station for a very early departure. The rooms are well decorated and have nice stone floors. The bathrooms are clean and well equiped. It is 1/2 a block from place de Bastille, and very close to the train station. Not much ambience outside of the hotel, but the inside is drenched in it. It is very quiet too, eventhough it was Bastille day and there wer thousands of people a half a block away. I'd stay here again.

• Liked — The charming atmosphere
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2007
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2007

I booked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews, and was not disappointed. As in all Paris hotels, the room was very small with almost no storage space. We had a room with a bath, not a shower, and by Paris standards the bathroom was reasonably sized. All the fixtures were very modern and in excellent shape. The bath itself was large and deep by North American standards.

The room was in excellent condition and the flooring was a very attractive tile, rather than the usual hotel carpet. The lobby was well appointed and the computer in the lobby that provided free internet access was new and worked fine. (If you are not used to French keyboards, beware!)

I did not breakfast at the hotel, so cannot comment on that aspect. Given the large number of excellent cafés in the neighbourhood, especially along Boul. St. Antoine, you can undoubtedly save money by breakfasting out.

I found the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I booked on-line and experienced no difficulty with the reservations or any other aspect of the booking.

I think it is a fair value for the price. Paris is expensive, and this hotel has an excellent location. It’s very close to a metro station and it’s in a very good walking neighbourhood. I have stayed, recently, in a perfectly acceptable hotel in the 5th arrondissment that was much cheaper, so if saving money is your prime consideration, you can do better. But given the location, and the quality, it’s fair value and I would go back again without qualms.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BCBoy3
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 12 August 2007

My partner and I highly recommend this charming hotel located near the Bastille Metro stop. The staff members were extraordinary - they were completely helpful in every way. Even though the breakfast was not included in the room rate, we found the breakfasts in the hotel dining room to be very generous and a good value. As with many European hotels the rooms were very small and with minimal lighting and storage space. Baths too were small, but very clean and well equipped. This is an excellent find - and a real value in an expensive city.

• Liked — Staff was excellent
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple