“Location is superb”

Ranked #917 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Oslo, Norway
“Location is superb”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We took a weekend break here in February 2014. Room was cold, no hot water. Got some blankets from reception who also sorted out the hot water problem. Charming hotel with views of Notre Dame from the windows. Excellent location. A hidden gem.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Milemileman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I read all the reviews of Hotel Esmeralda, made my reservation, confirmed, re-confirmed, and worried if I had made the right decision. I am happy to report that I did make the right decision. We stayed in the family room (room 19) on the top floor, for 2 nights, and had space for all 4 of us. After staying at Hiltons and Marriotts for the rest of our trip, my kids (ages 12 and 14) reported that they liked Hotel Esmeralda the best. They will remember THIS hotel over all the cookie cutter ones. The furniture is faded, the carpet worn, but the the beds were clean and comfortable and the bathroom was as clean as our London Marriott hotel. This hotel would never pass building code in the USA, and that is exactly why I like it!! The staff was friendly and helpful (they do speak English), the location is fabulous, and it is oozing with character and quirkiness. There are no frills, but if you choose this hotel, you are probably already fine with that. I agree with the reviews below about street noise. It did not bother my husband and kids, but I am a lighter sleeper. We kept the window open for air, but I had to close it due to noise. We took the RER from the airport and as mentioned in another review, it was a quick and simple walk. I had printed google map directions so it was no problem. Can't wait to go back and hear the bells of Notre Dame ringing from my room!

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and enjoy the views of Notre Dame!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank yonherboyz
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I had the chance to stay here with my girlfriend over the Winter holiday in December of 2012. It had been recommended by my girlfriend's father. For starters, this place is in the Center of all the action, and could not be more ideally situated in the Latin Quarter, close to a lot of good cafes and restaurants. From your window you can see the Notre Dame across the Seine! I had been to Paris several times, frequently staying in the Latin Quarter so I was really excited to stay here. It's close to the metro, once you exit the metro station (RER) this hotel is about a 2 minute walk. The Hotel Esmeralda is perhaps the best value for a hotel room in Paris considering its location. I found the hotel to be charming and would definitely return.

The value comes with its price, however. The Hotel is very dated, and most of the furniture looked quite old. If you have a high travel standard, staying in Ritz Carltons or Four Seasons, this would not be suitable. If you like funky character in a hotel, you'll like it here. Although it wasn't an issue for us in the winter, there is no Air Conditioning. This becomes a factor in the warmer months because you have to keep the windows open to regulate room temperature. Which brings up Road Noise, The hotel is close to a main street which is often full of cars. As mentioned, the stairs are quite steep, but manageable. I'm not sure if the staff speaks English, but they are Spanish, and I had no problem speaking to them as I speak Spanish. The staff was generally friendly, and there was someone at the reception desk 24 hours a day.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs, even with the windows closed it can get quite noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martinez_Jr
New Mexico
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Imagine waking up each morning to the bells of Notre Dame, and a panoramic view of this wonderful church. Hotel Esmeralda is a magical place located about 5 minutes walk from Notre Dame. There is a very nice restaurant ( the Tea Caddy ) a few feet away and many places close by for beer and pizza or a price fixed menu. The Hotel Esmeralda accepts credit cards- but I do have to warn you about the stairs---if you have bad knees- you may want to stay some where else---I was up on the third floor and there is no elevator- so dragging luggage may be a problem. There is no breakfast- another small problem- but there are a variety of cafes close by. The staff are situated in a cubbyhole in the foyer- and are always ready to respond to questions. and help with luggage, and getting a cab to the airport. You can reserve on line and Francisco and company keep a nice tidy place. My room had a nice bathroom, and was more than comfortable. Towels were changed daily. Wonderful place and centrally located !

Room Tip: First or second floor- you do not want to have to climb stairs to the third or fourth floor. Inside...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank madisonavenue
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We found this hotel on our return to Paris, following a retreat in southern France. We were really just keen to go back to Paris and enjoy our last few days in this beautiful city, making the most of its attractions, being in each others company. We certainly achieved it. This place is in 'Position A', not only for the Latin Quarter, but essentially everything that visitors to Paris could want.

It's true, that the room was extremely basic and perhaps a little less clean that it might have been. It's also true that the bathroom was not much bigger than a telephone booth and that the shower took a while to drain. But boy, did we find our feet here. The Latin Quarter began at the doorstep. St. Germain was a few blocks away. Notre Dame was a stones throw across the river, along with all of Paris' attractions beside the river. Pere Le Chaise cemetery was a simple metro ride away, Galleries Lafayette a cheap taxi ride from here. So all we had to do was relax, have fun, have a drink, eat and enjoy each others company. A great spot. Give it a go. You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: A double bed and a prime location were good enough for us.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew F
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

If you'd like to stay in an affordable place with the best location this is your best option!
Staff is friendly and helpful always willing and with a great smile. Do not
expect amazing rooms or deco. You will not find them here. Expect a magic location walking distance to notre dome, la isle & several caffes. I stayed there in 2006 and woukd definetelly go back again.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is nothing fancy but I would go back in a heartbeat!! The price and location are fantastic! The front desk was very helpful. It wasn't the cleanest, the carpet could definitely use some help, and the beds were a bit older than I've experienced, the stairs were difficult for my grandmother to navigate (we still laugh that she looked like she was climbing Everest when she hand over handed the rope up the steep stairs), but the location helped me fall in love with Paris. There is a beautiful park across the street, next door to Shakespeare and CO., across from Notre Dame, and right up the street from the most amazing cafe (I can't remember the name, but go through the park, turn right, and it's on the corner. Try the apricot pastry with a cafe au lait.) I would wake early, spend some time wandering the quiet avenues, including, take a leisurely breakfast at the cafe, head to Mass at Notre Dame...every morning. It was heavenly. I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, at least, with a view of Notre Dame. I don't know if it was...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends