My husband and I finally took our long-overdue honeymoon this month. We went to Paris, Rome, Siena, and Florence. Needless to say, this trip involved a great deal of planning and research. TripAdvisor has been a vital resource for me, all of the reviewers' comments helped us to ensure a wonderful vacation so this is my way of returning the favour. On to the review...
We went to Paris twice during our entire vacation. We stayed on the left bank first, left for Italy, then the right bank to end our journey. Our preference for boutique hotels lined up well with what Hotel Keppler had to offer. To top it off, Hotel Keppler had amazing reviews on TA and I thought it would be a fitting final stop for us.
Our stay started off a little shaky. We were given a room that smelled of cigarette smoke and that was not going to cut it at all. Cedric immediately assigned us to another room; unfortunately, it smelled even worse than the original room. They were fully-booked that night so Cedric assured us that they will re-assign us to a different room the next day. My husband and I ended up taking the first room that night (ugh!).
The next day, true to their word, we were given a different room. Not only was it much better smell-wise, it was also bigger than the room we had booked. From then on, the rest of our stay was flawless. The room was a good size for us (our luggage total was 4 by this leg of the trip) and it was nicely decorated, rainfall shower, room safe, wifi, room service. The location was central, 8-minute walk to Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Elysees. We already did much of our sightseeing when we were on the left bank, we reserved the right bank for shopping.
Breakfast was included in our room rate and it was great! You are greeted by the wonderful breakfast staff as soon as you enter the elegant and spacious breakfast room, they set a basket of bread/croissants on your table and offer you coffee (ask for cappuccinos). Slight variations daily in the hot food selection - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, boiled eggs, sauteed mushrooms, yogurt. wonderful selection of breads and cheeses, fresh juice, smoked salmon, lots of fresh fruit. A great start to the day.
The biggest asset this hotel has is really the people. Cedric was able to turn a problem into an opportunity to create a great customer experience. I say this not only because of the room change but also because he knew how to take care of the guests. He took the time to greet us every time we went through the hotel doors, making dinner recommendations and reservations after finding out we were just going to go without one. We also saw him spending time with other guests, providing consistent service and just the right amount of attention. Also have to commend Abul (I hope I'm spelling his name right) for being so nice, helping us with our bags, and for making mean drinks at the bar. Even the ones we did not encounter as much were great during the brief interactions we had - Vincent, the other younger gentleman that was there during the day, and the breakfast staff.
We will for sure book this hotel on our next trip to Paris (hopefully soon...).
1. Dining: Charbon Rouge, 7-10 minute walk from the hotel. Best entree (appetizer) I've ever had - grilled octopus, great steaks (try the Lomo, filet from Argentina). Pricey but oh-so-worth-it! For French classics, Cedric from the hotel recommended La Fontaine de Mars and it did not disappoint. The cassoulet was very filling but so yummy and floating island for dessert was a perfect end to a great meal.
2. Do your research on pricing - check multiple travel websites, check the hotel website for any special offers, even call the hotel to see if they would offer an advanced booking discount (typically non-refundable, discounts will range between 10-15% on top of the best rate - based on my experience). Some may add on a free breakfast to your deal (worth it for Hotel Keppler).
3. VAT refund for non-EU citizens: Minimum purchase is 175 euros from the same retailer on the same day. The option of an immediate cash refund is available at select locations in the city, make sure to ask the retailer for details.
4. Shopping: To hit the minimum of 175 euros for a VAT refund, try shopping at department stores like Printemps or Galerie Lafayette. You can combine receipts (except for LV) and the selection is vast. There are detaxe stations for VAT refunds right in the store so you can get your refund right there and then (less a small processing fee, of course). Also, Hotel Keppler provided a map of the city that had a 10% discount card for Printemps - you get 10% off the retail price PLUS the VAT refund (approx. 12%) - even better!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, HotelsClick, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Hotel Keppler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keppler Hotel Paris
- Hotel Keppler Paris