“Wonderful stay in Paris”

Hotel Crayon by Elegancia
Ranked #313 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Wonderful stay in Paris”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We were staying at this beautiful hotel right near the center of Paris. The neighborhood is full of restaurants and shops. The hotel stuff was really nice and friendly. The rooms were clean and beautiful. Will be happy to come back!!! Personal thanks to Didier )

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here in Nov 2012 for my birthday and ended up getting engaged here so that says it all!
It's not cheap and the rooms are small but as that seems to be the norm in Paris, this is an absolute gem.
If your into cool design and interiors then you will love this place. The hotel and rooms are well designed, funky and quirky whilst being relaxing and comfortable.
It's not pretentious at all and was a joy to come back to after a long day.
Breakfast wasn't include, we did pay extra for it one morning but it wasn't worth writing home about (in fact it was slightly confusing) so we ate out on the other days.
The people were lovely and helpful, the location is great.
Would look to stay here again next time we come to Paris and would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather B T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I actually thought I'd written a review about Crayon, but I guess not.

Paris has a reputation for expensive hotels and small rooms, so obviously Crayon was expensive with small rooms, so let's move on.

A group of us went to Paris for New Year's 2012/13 but didn't end up staying in the same hotels. My partner and I paid a little more, but considering what they got for their money, I am more than satisfied with our choice. We took a long time deliberating over where to stay and - in context - I think Crayon really is a little gem. I guess the best way to sum it up is this: we didn't come to Paris to sit in a hotel room so we didn't need the extra space, but I woke up liking my surroundings, and was happy to see the hotel at the end of a day's sight-seeing and enjoyed some great sleep.

The hotel was quirky and chic, the room was nicely decorated, the bathroom was clean but miniscule, the bed was ridiculously comfy and - oh my god - the location. We were just a few minutes walk from the Louvre and found it to be a great starting point for any outing with several metro stations practically on our doorstep.

The breakfast was a bit 'meh' so I'd opt for eating out. Staff were pleasant.

Some reviewers have mentioned noise - we were there for NYE and we had no issue. We found it relaxing and homely. I'd happily return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Biz P
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Crayon Jan. 29-31, 2014. It was absolutely everything I was expecting and all of it in a good way. I will tell you the things that I anticipate American travelers would possibly complain about (and tell you to get over it). The room we were in was small by American standards. However, you are staying in the heart of Paris a 5 minute walk from the Louvre Museum and the subway system that will get you everywhere in Paris. The buildings are old and quaint and charming so the room size is comparable to what you'd get in a hotel in downtown NYC.... Only at a better price than what you'd pay to stay near Times Square. So my advice, get over the size of the room and go outside and enjoy Paris, you only sleep in the room anyway.

The employees were beyond friendly and helpful. Our flight arrived in Paris at 8:30am and we arrived at the hotel around 10am. We expected only to be able to store our bags there until a room was ready. We were fortunate that our room was already available so we're allowed in right away. This was FANTASTIC! I've had early check-ins before but never that early in the morning. What a fabulous service. I would imagine that during peak tourist season this won't be possible but the simple fact remains that if they have a room available when you arrive they'll let you in it right away, what fabulous customer service.

Breakfast was available for an additional price and we did eat breakfast one morning there. The selection was good and both of us ate and left feeling full. Picky eaters might have a problem because while the selections were good this isn't a traditional buffet with tons of choices. But the food available (eggs, cheese, fruit, toast, etc) was excellent and there was enough to choose from for us to find something we liked.

Overall, if I go back to Paris I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Fabulous hotel, great location, incredible staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JRPaulson728
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Loved the location, a short walk to the Louvre and minutes from Notre Dame. Rooms are small but beautifully decorated and well appointed. I would stay here again in a heart beat!! The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good but not worth the additional cost.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mary E
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Arrived in Paris in December 2013, not having spent a lot of time in Europe, I was horrfied at the size of the lift and the height of the ceiling on floor 5...BTW the lift only goes to floor 5, you have to walk up stairs to the next floor, so I would not recommend a room on the 6th floor. The room we had was small but comfortable, we managed to upgrade to the suite (Room 402) and it was really nice, when I return I will be booking this room.

The location is fantastic, we walked everywhere. Even in the holiday period, with many shops closed, there were enough restaurants around to get dinner etc.

The staff really made the difference, doing whatever you needed with a smile. I do not like to single out staff, however, it would be remiss of me not to note that Melodie was outstanding in every respect and made all the difference to our stay, no amount of ridiculous questions was too much and her advice was impeccable...thank you Melodie.

I would stay here again when in Paris, however, I would be booking the suite, the lack of space in the other rooms, whilst common in Paris, was not something I was please about. At the pubished rate, the suite offers great value in Paris.

Room Tip: Book room 402! This is the only suite...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dragonsrock
New Zealand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way back through Paris after a month travelling; due to flying in to Orly and out through CDG we decided it was just as easy to stay in the city centre. We were on the 5th floor, overlooking the street. Very comfortable beds, great shower with good water pressure (there is both a rain head shower and a hand held/wall mounted shower piece). The room was really tiny - with our two suitcases on the floor there were only inches to move around (...climb over the top of the beds to get to the bathroom) however despite the squeeze, I really enjoyed this hotel. I think it would be tricky if you were staying several days as there is not much in the way of storage space but perfectly fine for a short stay.

Nice selection of toiletries provided, and a really good wifi connection. When we checked in, we were asked how many devices each of us needed to connect with, and they issue you a voucher with a code for each. Aircon worked well, and the hotel is located on a nice quiet little street.

We didn't have time for breakfast as we decided sleep was more important the morning we left, however there were two options offered - light croissant/coffee type breakfast served in a little sitting area on the ground floor for 7 euro or a more substantial breakfast in the basement for 12 euro. We didn't go down to the basement level but the sitting area for the light breakfast also has a Nespresso machine and a fridge with an honesty bar - reasonable prices.

I would stay here again. The service was good, with genuine friendliness - the reception staff ask whether you would prefer to converse in French or English, and are very accommodating.
The overall decor is a bit quirky, a mix of old refurbished furniture, art, modern fittings, and unusual wallpapers and paint colour combinations - our room was a mustard/tan with dark brown, and art painted directly on the wall - it actually worked well. Not a hotel for those afraid of pattern or colour!

Room Tip: A street-front room is fine as the hotel is on a small, quiet street - we had room 503 and the tiny...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family