“A LITTLE TREASURE”

Grand Hotel des Balcons
Ranked #559 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We simply love this precious boutique hotel in Paris on The Left Bank. Close to everything and as cozy as a comforter. Clean. Comfortable. Great location. The elevator is a friend-maker and the staff smiles at every turn. We'll be there again soon. The world's most beautiful city and a little treasure of a boutique hotel -- where the word was invented and honed.

Room Tip: Try them all. Each has their own distinct personality.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tpmedia

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in a twin room for 3 nights in March 2012.

We were delighted with the hotel. The room was very clean, the beds comfortable and it was very quiet. It was in a great location - down the road from two of the best cafes in Paris and a short walk to the Siene and Notre Dame etc. The staff are friendly. We would not hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We were told our room had a bath rather than a shower, but found when we got there that it did inclu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Operafan2
Reviewed 21 March 2012

An absolutely fantastic hotel experience. Great rooms and service and ideal location. Would stay theer this May but they're booked solid for the days I'll be in Paris.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at Balcons in February of 2012 and were very pleased with it. It's hidden down a side street which cancelled out any street noise but within a short walk are dozens of restaurants and shops. For you Starbucks addicts there is one located within a 5 minute walk of the hotel and the Odeon metro station connecting you with all of Paris is just across the street from the Starbucks. And if you don't want to catch a cab or ride the metro the Seine River and the Louvre are not that bad of a walk. We walked to the Louvre the first day we got there but once we familiarized ourselves with the metro we utilized it for all our transportation. I didn't reserve the cheapest room but also did not get the most expensive.We had two single beds pushed together. The rate was around E130/night. The elevator is not much larger than a phone booth but that really wasn't a big deal. There is no shower curtain in the bathroom but that was not a huge deal either. The water pressure was very good. I packed a beach towel with me and would recommend you do the same as you end up using at least one of the hotel towels to dry the floor. The staff was very courteous. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel so I can't testify to that.Wifi was free but if you left your device idle for any length of time you get knocked off and have to sign in again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dan T
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed 4 nights in this cozzy hotel. The location is perfect, in a quiet street, full of bookshops and hotels, close to metro Odeon and many restaurants and shops. I had stayed in other hotels several times, but this is much better. I will stay here again in my next visit to Paris.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stayed here for one night as a stopover before a flight from Orly. Much better option than an airport hotel. Less than ten minutes walk to Luxembourg RER station and from there I was at Orly airport in less than half an hour. Easy - 10 Euros.

The hotel.

Location :
Great. Easy walk into the Latin Quarter, Notre Dame, Musee D'Orsay and Le Louvre. Quiet street near the Odeon. Close to Metro and RER.

Room:
Clean, comfortable, compact but not too small, nothing elaborate but nicely fitted out. Was on the top floor (room 606) so had a bit of sky out the window. Single bed was like a small double. Comfortable, nice linen, two pillows, extra blanket. Bedside lamps.

Free wi-fi which worked well and a small desk to sit at with my laptop. Big wardrobe for a smallish room with shelves and hanging space. Spotless bathroom with hot, strong shower.

Key lock entry to the room, no Ving card. No safe in the room.

Satellite TV with about 24 channels. Mostly in French.

Reception :
Didn't have that much to do with staff apart from check-in and out but the service was smiling and helpful. Free selection of teas and biscuits in reception when I came back from dinner in the evening. Nice.

Breakfast :
Started from 0700 and I was out of there by 0630 so didn't have it. Buffet for 20 Euros. Dining room looked ok and clean.

Other :
There's an elevator big enough for one person and a case, so no need to cart luggage up stairs.

Thought is was a good 3 star hotel. Clean, nothing shabby or worn out, nice service, great location and good value for the area. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank davidgold
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Been a while, but always enjoyed this hotel, recommended by a friend on my first trip to Paris. First person I met was Alexander, and I sincerely hope he is still at the desk. I have seen Alexander interact with the tired tourists arriving.
The hotel was more basic in years past, but a great location, staff, and they remember you when you call back.
I have recommended this hotel to friends and five of them stayed with them, no one failed to be impressed by the charm of the hotel and the wonderful staff.

Several times I stayed there and also had friends in other rooms. My usual room was not available, but I returned the next day and was given a different key, they had moved everything to the room next to my friends and everything was in place.

You are close to everything, if you do not get lost on Paris' winding streets, in the 6th district near Metro Odeon and also an RER station Luxemberg as I recall, straight to Rossy (CDG), two metro lines cross at Odeon, and you feel you are truly in a charming French neighborhood, from Crepes on the street to street markets and of course pastry shops that also serve wonderful Cafe Creme.

Bravo to this place, one of my favorite in the world.

Room Tip: Fifth floor, but if they are working in the streets, you may wish to take a room in the back.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends