“Beware of Cancellation Policy”
Review of Hotel Jules Cesar

Hotel Jules Cesar
Ranked #1,194 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Calgary, Canada
“Beware of Cancellation Policy”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel charges one night's rate as a deposit on booking. This deposit is non-refundable no matter what. I was trapped by their cancellation policy and lost my deposit. Their cancellation policy is in two paragraph. The first would state that if you cancel after a certain date (the day before your arrival) you will be charged for one night's stay. I make the mistake of stopping after reading this first paragraph because I thought it is good enough. If ever I am going to cancel my booking, it will be before the date provided. I then cancelled my booking about a week ago and it was then I found out that the deposit will not be refunded because there is a second paragraph to their policy which is exactly the same as the first except for an additional three words - "on or before" the date. So when you put the two paragraphs together, it would mean that the deposit is non-refundable no matter what date you cancel. Granted I should have read the whole thing, but the way that this cancellation policy is put together is very close to being misleading. It should state the cancellation policy in one simple paragraph and directly stated that the deposit is non-refundable instead of making it sound as though you will only be charged if cancelled after a certain date while in another paragraph go one to say that you will be charged no matter what.. My booking agent contacted the hotel and the staff at the hotel told her that if I sent in an email, they will refund my deposit. I did sent in two emails since then but no response at all from the hotel. I am still hoping that they will credit me with the deposit or in the very least, change the way their cancellation policy is put together.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DannyandChristine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I arrived earlier than the official check in time. On noticing how tired I was after a long flight, the receptionist Mr. Phillip requested me to give him 45 mins and he got my single room readied.

The room was small but functional. It has a closet, a tv, a desk and clean bed and bathroom. The hi speed wifi worked beautifully and a password can easily be obtained from the front desk for free.

The elevator is VERY OLD and I did feel claustrophobic inside it. With luggage you can accommodate only one person. It's slow and creaks. The steps are narrow. This is the only minus at the hotel. It's nothing fancy but very functional.

It's a short 5 minute walk from the Gare de Lyon stn.

Breakfast was basic hence I did not use it. I just walked out and enjoyed food in various eateries around the area.

You can pay and have a soft drink or a hot beverage from the bending machine.

The house keeping ensured all rooms were well aired out so they don't have any kind of smell. The rooms also had a balcony which was good for fresh air. I noticed split airconditioning unit but I didn't need it for the winter time.

I would most certainly recommend this hotel to others. It's NOT luxurious but very practical and functional.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MumbaiIndiTraveller
Lincolnville, Maine
Reviewed 16 November 2013

A quick walk to the Gare de Lyon train station and other Metro stations, this makes a great base for seeing Paris. There are several grocery stores nearby (Fanprix, Monoprix, Carrefour) as well as numerous restaurants. The staff is very helpful with many helpful suggestions. The rooms are clean and neat, just what you would expect for a three star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with 2, 3, 4, and 5 face the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The problem is that the rate quoted 'includes breakfast'. Only the small print points out that this is basic, contiinenttal breakfast, but that the buffet breakfast (which proved to be the only option oon offer) was extra - 10 euros each (not actually priced on thhe booking details), which is probably reasonable these days, but which we hadn't really wanted.

That said, the hotel is fine - simple, good location, we were in a fifth floor double room, very basic furnishings, good modernised bathrooom.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank peter k
El Cajon, California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Because I was unable to book a single room for the four nights I would spend in Paris, I booked the first two nights in a double room and then moved to a single room.
I arrived in Paris late at night on the TGV from Milan and found the hotel easily. The location is not more than 7 minutes walk from Gare de Lyon. The double room was a decent size for Paris; the view was over some rooftops. The bathroom was equipped with a (slippery) corner shower, a toilet and a bidet with room to move around. The double bed was comfortable.
After two nights I moved to the single room for another two nights at the hotel (much lower price). I was pleasantly surprised about this room. The room looked out on Avenue Ledru Rollin and the large dual pane vinyl windows, which could swing open, kept the street noise out.
The bunk size bed was not large but functional. The single bathroom was simple but clean. I did not use the breakfast in the hotel at 10 Euro because there is a very good choice of breakfast French style starting at about 5.50 Euro or one which includes eggs for about 8.00 Euro and up. (cafe A La Ville De Lyon, Rue de Lyon, just around the corner.)
The rooms looked nice and I noticed crown molding even in the single room. The only turn off was the lobby of this hotel which was cluttered with some cardboard boxes in the corner and magazines and newspapers everywhere. But there is a very tiny elevator. I would rate this hotel a solid two stars.
I found out that the transfer to Gare du Nord (Paris Nord) after four nights was also easy. Line D runs from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord in minutes, with only one intermediate stop. You’ll find that you’re not the only one on that train with a suitcase in tow.

Room Tip: Some rooms have not much of a view, back side of other buildings, roofs, others face a typical Paris...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Rudolph B
Reviewed 7 October 2013

the hotel near by gar de lyon station the area its very quiet and safety. The staff
is very kind and helpful .The metro station 2min walk .the room was very clean .
special thanks Philip he give us a good tips about the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel was clean and comfy. 24hr staffed front desk. The staff was friendly and spoke English (we didn't require it but it made things easier). The room we stayed in was on the street, not a sound from the street with the windows closed. It was a good size, like a medium sized bedroom in the USA. The bathroom was clean but small, but that was seemingly the case with most hotels we looked at in Paris. Our first choice was booked but ultimately I am glad we stayed in the Hotel Jules Cesar. It is a couple blocks from the Gare de Lyon and because of this there was plenty of dinning and cafes around. There was a supermarket right around the corner where you can get bottled water for less than 1 euro. To get to the hotel, we caught the Air France shuttle bus From CDG airport to Gare de Lyon and walked with two rolling suitcases easily. With a short walk we caught a RER train from Austerlitz station to Versailles. We left Paris for Arles via a TGV train from Gare de Lyon. The location was perfect for our stay. It is a short walk to Bastille where we enjoyed the outdoor market and caught the Metro to the sights. If you are looking to be in the heart of Paris and amongst the sites I might recommend another hotel. If you are OK with a few blocks walk and a bit of a Metro ride to Eiffel Tower, then staying at Hotel Jules Cesar will be fine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple