“Bed Bugs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #701 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Brussels, Belgium
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Location is perfect and stuff is nice.
However for the first time in my life I have experienced ''bed bugs'' eventhough I stayed countless cheap hotels and hostels in Europe.

I woke up in the middle of the night with pain and I saw one of them on my foot.

I had to threw away all of my stuff including my luggage since I scred to bring this bed bugs to home.

Good luck

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank buskerMRT
sizyad, no connection I am just a hotel manager at Welcome Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2009
dear Madam sir

in aswer to your reveiw you have to knwo that hotel is not responisble bed bugs is not a quesiton of clean or not clean 100% it is the customer who bring that with him and the only for the hotelier to knwo that is to have a complain it happen eaven in 4 or 5 star
than next be more tolerant

regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

Also very nice staff, the rooms were worn albeit clean, the stairs could have used a vacuuming, the worst of it was the scaffolding covering the front of the hotel and therefore our room.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Eastern Townships, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

Location, Location, Location....

Located on a busy Paris street - St. Germaine de Pres; My sister, brother & I enjoyed a week immersed in Paris life. Although a touristy area we could people- watch from the cafe's and watch the Parisians and tourists alike with their little dogs, baguettes and noisy scooters/motorcycles always on the go.

As other reviews have said, the hotel was noisy but since I sleep like a rock I had no problems - except the 1st night (as usual)

I'm an early riser and needed a cafe crema the instant I get out of bed, so I had to pull on the sweats and luckily found cafe L'atlas around the corner and after 2 large was able to get on with the day. Cost E5.50 per.

I usually waited until 8:30 to go to the grocery store (when it opens) and pick up a ham sandwich, fruit (remember to weigh it on the scale and get a price) and juice. Cheaper than b/f at the hotel (E.11.00) which only starts at 7:30 am.

Staff at the hotel were helpful and cheerful.

We splurged for dinner at Allards (close by) 1 night and I definitely recommend it. Make a reservation though.....

I also recommend the L'open bus tour Paris - 2 days hop on and off for E.32.00.

We couldn't climb the Eiffel tower as the line-ups were to long, but that wasn't a problem.

I also recommend getting a shuttle (Paris) booked for transfers to the airport before arrival and remember to book the return 48 hours in advance. The country code is 00 + the #. Another tip is if you love expresso like I do there is a machine at the a/p that dispenses one for only 1E.20.

Get a global phone card too. Local calls at the hotel E0.60.

Taxi stand is on St. Germaine de pres.

I come from Quebec so I have some french and I can tell you the Parisians are v. charming when you try. They may speak to you in english, but are as I said --charming. I don't recommend Flore restaurant, but I do the Rose. Excellent Chablis. If you want to get take away wine go to Moki's and ask early in the day to have a bottle put in the Fridge there (no fridge in room) and pick it up after dinner so you can have in the room. Bring a bottle opener.

The wardrobe in the room has hangars that will only support a light shirt - not a jacket/blazer. Beds are comfortable and we separated the 2 twins with a little table. 1 extra pillow and 2 blankets in wardrobe - we got another pillow and were fine.

It took 2 days to get the lightbulb outside the room changed but at least it was.

There you have it - good value for the money. Book the internet rate E 115.00 per night.

• Liked — Street to which it is located
  • Disliked — No coffee in room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank coffeelover060
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

I stayed here in April and eventually moved to another hotel operated by the same company. The staff at the hotel are REALLY hospitable and friendly, they communicate with you through email really quickly and the price and location are great.

I want to be as honest as possible since I wish some of the reviews I'd read here would have been a bit more specific, so here are the pluses:

1) The location is perfect. I love this little area of Paris, it's so easy to get anywhere and there are lots of good shops and restaurants nearby.

2) The front desk staff -- especially Eric -- are very accomodating and pleasant. Excellent English spoken here. They have umbrellas at the front door so if it's raining you can grab one on your way out.

3) The price was definitely reasonable for Paris -- especially with the state of the dollar these days!

The few downsides:

1) Many previous guests have commented on the room size, but almost all rooms in Paris (especially in this price range) are small, so that wasn't the issue so much as the drabness and overall quality of the room. This is one of those personal things that may not matter to you at all.

2) I know everyone says you never spend time in your hotel -- but I do, to sleep! When you're walking so much all day you want a good night's sleep. But the street here gets VERY noisy at night. Imagine staying in Times Square with the windows to your hotel open -- that kind of noisy. Again this isn't a fault of the hotel (it's Paris!) but if you're a light sleeper you want to pick another place. I was on the 5th floor, well above street level and even with the windows shut and the curtains pulled it was a REALLY noisy night. I can't imagine staying here in summer, closing the windows would suffocate you (no A/C) but having them open would be an all night party/traffic marathon in your room.

3) There is a restaurant below the hotel and I don't know if it's the venting or what but at about midnight it smelled like someone was standing right in my room cooking onions. Again, you may love this charming detail but I wanted to be honest.

So this is a pleasant, basic budget-level hotel in an awesome location but it's quite noisy at night and the rooms are spare. I think if I had been here on a short, budget-conscious trip with a friend and we were planning to be out all night anyway then I would stay here again ... but since I was in town on business and traveling by myself, I chose to move to another hotel down the street owned by the same company and they were great about me changing hotels. I think I wasn't really aware of the difference between two and three star hotels in Paris -- again, not the hotel's fault! And they get bonus points for flexibility.

The Welcome Hotel was clean and had clean towels and good water pressure and the people who work here are very helpful, speak excellent English and are very responsive. Oh -- the WiFi works well, too, for only 6Euro a day. However, if you are a light sleeper I'd look elsewhere.

• Liked — Location & price
  • Disliked — Very noisy at night
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chooviss
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2008

booked hotel for 3 nights for easter break after reading reviews. hotel location excellent. outside hotel many cafes/resaturants/bakers/cheese shop/chocolate shops/supermarket etc. room itself small (typical paris)though very clean. we didnt want to spend a fortune on a hotel when we wouldnt spend much time here. bathroom tiny but managed. room looked out onto bust Rue St Germaine which i can imagine in the summer with windows opened it would be very noisey but fine for this time of year. didnt opt for breakfast in the hotel for 11 euro when there as many nicer and cheaper places to eat just outside the hotel-and the 2 of us ate for 10 euro and much nicer at Pauls down the street.

would stay here again for a good price and well located hotel for accessing all of Paris sites. 3 metro stations nearby to.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s21
Oporto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

I will repeat! Rooms not so big but very clean; staff friendly; very well located in center Paris, charming and with a family atmosphere!!!

Stayed December 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2007

This hotel was recommended by someone that had stayed here in the past
and mostly, the reviews on here were pretty good so we decided to try it and were not disappointed. We arrived in Paris during a transport strike but were able to get the RER as far as Gare du Nord and took the metro to Odeon from there, just a couple of blocks away. (normally
you could go to St. Michel on the RER, a few blocks further than the Odeon) Only had hand luggage so it was simple to get around. I had heard the rooms were very small so asked if there was one a little larger. There was, and it was slightly larger but had two single beds and a larger bathroom with a tub with hand held shower attachment and we deicded to go with the double bed and smaller bathroom with shower stall.

The room wasn't impossibly small and we had all the room we needed as we weren't in it long anyway. It was clean and well maintained though the decor was a bit unmatched as the blue and yellow plaid bedspread didn't really go with the orange and yellow curtains but it was all in good condition and the sheets and the bathroom were immaculate. That's the important part.

We were here in November from a Monday to Wednesday. We left the heat off and were comfortable. There was a lot of noise from Blvd St Germain but it wasn't that bad with the windows closed. The tiny lift held the two of us with hand luggage, just. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but went to several different places in the area for that and for evening meals. Ate at the Mondrian Cafe for one of those and were very pleased with it.

Overall we were pleased with the hotel and would stay there again. As others have said, there's no air conditioning so i think it would be warm in summer and with the windows open, it would be noisy but for a weekday stay in winter it was great!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No tea/coffee making facilities in the room
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple