“Cooking class in Paris!”
Review of Reed

Reed
Ranked #1,160 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Paris, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cooking class in Paris!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Fun, personable, and informative...best way to describe Catherine Reed of Reed restaurant. She makes cooking in Paris look easy, but leaves no stone unturned when it comes to details and fresh ingredients!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Karolyn W

San Francisco, California
“Treasure in Paris”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Reed was the best place to celebrate our last meal in Paris with friends. Canadian born Catherine Reed runs the whole show so it is like being in her home - she is personable and engaging, guiding us in picking the perfect wine to compliment our choices of beef bourguignon, tomato tartlet, steamed baby artichokes, and the best tarte tatin and warm chocolate 'cake'. Book early as it is open only a few days a week.

• Visited May 2014
Oldenburg, Germany
“Amazing Flavours”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We showed up right at the opening time on a Friday night and got a table without a reservation. The overall meal was around 115 euros with a bottle of wine and it was well worth it. The chef (and host) was very polite and spoke fluent english. I would definitely return. It felt a little like being in a home restaurant. The decor was very nice and it was an overall wonderful experience.

• Visited March 2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Home Cooking”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This place is unusual - small, boutique style and very intimate. It is not your average place. Catherine Reed ' s menu is carefully chosen from available ingredients and equally carefully cooked for you in her kitchen. The flavours are perfect combinations making a meal which is essentially home cooked altogether delicious and bursting with flavour. We ate here on our last night in Paris. I had the butternut squash siup which was slightly spicy and delicious. My partner had the tomato tartlet which, considering he doesn't like tomatoes, I thought this a brave move. He saic it was the best starter he had ever had and the combination of flavours was perfect. Lamb stew and beef cheeks bourginion followed, and the meat just melted. Finally i had tarte tatin which I had just seen come out of the oven. I would definitely eat here again.

This restaurant is only open Wednesday to Saturday and seats only a few so be sure to book ahead with this one if you are not in the area.

Visited April 2014
Schaumburg, Illinois
“Was I at the same restaurant?”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was in Paris last week with my mom and aunt, and we were very much looking forward to going to REED. The reviews here on TA were good and she was recommended to us by several people. We made reservations for Friday at 7:30. We were very conscious about not being late, so we took a taxi and ended up getting there at 7:15. We were going to walk around for a while to kill time, but noticed people inside dining already, so we thought we'd ask if we could sit down since my mom has mobility issues and was tired from walking all day. We entered the restaurant and waited while Catherine finished talking to her patrons. She then approached us and I explained we had 7:30 reservations and understood we were early. I was going to say that we would leave and come back if she preferred, but she said "you can sit, but you'll have to wait." We understood and that was fine, but right from the beginning, her whole demeanor was extremely unfriendly.

To make a long story short, that attitude lasted all night. After an initial carafe of water, the carafe sat empty all night, the wine she brought us was not the same year as was on the menu, the beef cheeks were tasteless and fatty (however, the accompanying potatoes were the best I've ever tasted). We have had beef cheeks several times before, both in Paris and Italy, so we do have points of comparison.

She never once asked us how everything was...honestly, we felt like unwelcome party crashers. We left without ordering coffee or dessert, which is highly unusual for us. We are not restaurant or food snobs, we want nothing more than pleasant service and good tasting food...we got neither at REED.

I don't like giving bad reviews, but after looking forward to this dining experience, it was a tremendous let down. Perhaps it was an off-night for Catherine, but I would never go back or recommend it to anyone.

• Visited March 2014