Hotel Central Saint Germain
Great 4.5/5
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
Very Good 4/5
All reviewscluny la sorbonneflat rooflatin quarterquiet streetluxembourg gardensshops restaurantsexcellent locationnear notre dameleft banksmall thingswithin walking distancegood nights sleeplovely little hotelmain attractionsgreat areashort walkbreakfast was delicious
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 October 2011

The location of this hotel is wonderful - easy walk from the metro/RER stop (you can easily go to and from Charles de Gaulle), easy walk to the Seine, Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, Luxembourg Gardens. The room wasn't the smallest we've stayed in in Paris, had adequate closet space, desk, 2 chairs, 2 large windows, small but functional bathroom. nice reading lights next to both sides of the bed. This is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel, but the first room we were given smelled strongly of smoke - they were apologetic, assigned us another and said they would have their cleaning staff attend to the first room. Staff was mostly pleasant and helpful, except, unfortunately, for the person who checked us in - we didn't feel at all welcome - she treated us as though we were disturbing her. Later in our visit she warmed up - may have been language-related - French and English were not her first language, we were limping along in French. The room was expensive compared to others we've stayed in, but we had to find something last minute and this was on the lower end of what was available. The only downside of our visit was the noise - we had a room on the street and the street noise (voices, vehicles, all night long, garbage truck in the AM) kept us awake - we didn't contact management as we didn't want to make the effort to change rooms - I'm sure they would have been accomodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street - street-side is very loud.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KateRoanoke_VA
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a fantastic location, would definitely stay around this area again. However, my expectations were lifted due to the reviews but then the benchmark is Paris, for the price, location and room size (we were two adults+ child+toddler) the hotel is ideal (but bear in mind it is a three star hotel); I would recommend this hotel if the hotel amenities do not matter for the traveler, but for a family with children we would definitely book earlier in a four star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It isn't uber-swanky, but its cozy and the staff are very friendly. The location is fantastic, which made it great for seeing the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aj2taylo
Reviewed 18 July 2011

First, let me say, the hotel is adequate. The rooms are small, but typical for Europe. The breakfast was fine, the location is good if you like the 6th arr (which I do) That being said, I've been to Paris several times and have traveled all over France and Europe. This is the first time I've felt that my family and I were a burden to the staff. I am by no means an overly sensitive person, quite the contrary, but this experience bothered me enough to sign up and write a review. While I didn't expect them to roll out the red carpet, It would have been nice if the front desk staff was a bit more welcoming and eager to help. Rather, I felt as if any question we asked from the moment we arrived to the moment we left (4 days and 4 questions) was an inconvenience to the front desk staff. Also, a breakfast staff member rolled her eyes at my children when they asked for more milk for their cereal. I don't think that's an unreasonable request. It wasn't a great way to end our vacation. Our friends are planning on staying at the same hotel next month, and I feel the need to tell them the same.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My wife and I just completed an 8 day stay at Hotel Central Saint Germain. While researching the hotel on tripadvisor.ca we noted many serious criricisms that almost prevented our booking, but the positive reviews clinched the deal. I therefore feel obligated to update the negatives and include my positives for future travellers.
Air conditioned; free wifi; adequate breakfast; elevator to 1st 5 floors; free safe in room;tv with 2 English news channels; accepts Visa: close to interesting cafes and bistros; clean; friendly, helpful staff at front desk, in breakfast room and maid service.
Because of a mobility problem, we requested a room that required no stairs because we knew the top floor required an elevator ride followed by a flight up a spiral staircase. We were put in a 4th floor room, which was great until "for the first time ever" the elevator broke down for over 3 days. The climb up 68 narrow spiral stair case steps was too much for me to handle so the staff found a room on the 1st floor and helped move the luggage.
It is interesting to note that any request was answered with, "That is not possible" but then it was made possible. As examples; help moving luggage, finding a lower floor room, finding an airport taxi that accepted Visa.
Will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple