“Good Value for the Euro”
Review of Les Argonautes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Les Argonautes
Ranked #1,509 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Right in Little Athens in the Latin Quarter. Good clean rooms with an accomodating staff that uses English. Is noisy at night due to Cafes and Night Life and early morning with trash pickup and deliveries.

Best deal in Paris and if you are a good sleeper and or are tired this location is not a problem. Just be aware it is noisy at night.

We would stay there again.

Older travelers

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2008

Not bad! I couldn't get my usual budget Paris hotel so choose this one based on other Tripadvisor member's reviews.

The location is superb, although the surrounding night life can be a bit strange. VERY close to Notre Dame, and very close to the RER and the Metro.

For 70 Euro a night with a bathroom included, it was a perfect price. A little bit noisy at night, but I easily fell asleep thru it. The hotel was good to hold my luggage on my day of departure while I went out into the city for a few more hours.

The Boulangerie on the street is excellent for a quick breakfast (coffee and a croissant) and during lunch/dinner hour the Crepere on the same street is excellent!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I stayed here for a few nights in 2005 in two, different rooms. The rooms are tiny, no frills at all, tiny showers, I don't even think there was a TV; however, they are clean and neat, and most of all very inexpensive. The staff was fabulous; I came in one night from Montmartre a bit blitzed from a party, two of them were drinking at one of the little tables in the reception area, and they invited me to sit down with them, gave me drinks, and told me the craziest stories in the world. One of them was an old, Scottish man in a kilt who performs Scottish ballads in the Greek restaurant downstairs, oddly enough. If you spot him, try to get him talking. I found him highly entertaining and pleasant.

The Greek restaurant downstairs is a hoot; make sure to stop in. The food is good, but the show is better. When my friend and I first walked in, the waiter violently threw a plate at our feet and walked away. We weren't sure if that meant to get the hell out of the restaurant, but then we spotted a table of people passing a helmet around and smashing cheap, ceramic dishes over the wearer's head. So we stayed. The waiters kept pulling hot girls in off the street, and had them all up on the stage in a dance contest. The waiters were quite nimble themselves. One poured some sort of liquid on the ground between the tables, lit it on fire, and did an amazing, Greek fire dance. Another one seated one of the hot girls on the corner of a small table, picked the table with the girl on it up using only his teeth, and span her around. It was a very surprising show, very fun.

So the noise - yes, it is noisy until late at night due to all the traffic on Rue de Huchette and due to the smashing plates. So either bring earplugs or get a room in the back of the hotel.

As far as location - couldn't be better. St. Michel metro is one block away, Notre Dame cathedral is just across a small footbridge, there are tons of restaurants in and around the hotel. If you're out late at night, get an egg and cheese crepe from the crepe vendors who will be around. So satisfying.

Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely - as long as you are on a budget, a deep sleeper/earplug wearer, and don't want any extras outside of a friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2008

The good is that this hotel was in a good location - close to several restaurants and bars/clubs and sites; the staff was very friendly as well. The bad - despite our room, 303, being located at the back of the building, off the noisy street, it was still noisy until about 2am. We both had a hard time sleeping that night. The super slack, old, pathetic pillows did not help either. The bed was a full - I know beds and rooms are not as spacious in Europe however we live in London and have been traveling Europe on a budget for the past year and this place is probably at the bottom of our list. The rooms were small and a bit dingy, the lighting was bad. The shower was teeny tiny and the water pressure was horrible. I shower daily but I was really reluctant to get into that shower each morning/night and I am a size 4; 5'4. I usually don't mind staying in budget hotels, hostels and B&Bs but I in this case, I never looked forward to retreating to the room after a full, long day of sightseeing. The toilet, however, was communal and always kept clean and I never had to wait to use it. There is no sink in the toilet room so to wash up, you have to go back to your room for that. The chambermaids seemed to be very busy in the morning, tidying up and our rooms were maintained to the best of their ability each day. They serve a breakfast for 5 euro, however we didn't try it. We chose to take it at a boulangerie (make a right out the door and walk down to the corner). Be careful walking the stairs as they are narrow and can be a bit steep for some people. Although I was pleased with the location, the price and the dining options, I would not choose to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2008

We (my wife and I) must say: We loved the place, period. To us, it was perfect: a small and intimist place, no frills, close to everything (yes, I mean it! By foot: Notredame 2 min, Cluny 1 min, St Michel Metro 30 s, Saint Chapelle 3 min, Luxemburg 3 min).

The hotel is in the Quartier Latin and this means some noise. We absolutely do not mind - the noise level was less than the others reviews made us imagine. It was kind of funny, in fact.

Friendly staff, strange place... somewhat small room - we get the 56 euro double room. The shower in the room was amazing, much more a necessity than a toilet :)

Les Argonautes do not try to be fancy - it's clean and basic and that's it. We love the place and we would stay again and again. Just do not eat in La Huchette and you'll be ok :D

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2008

Hotel Les Argonautes is in an amazing location -- on the mostly pedestrian Rue de la Huchette -- one of Paris' oldest Rive Gauche streets -- and within a few minutes' walk to Notre Dame. Shops, cafes, and restaurants are open late in the area; we ate dinner at 23:00 one night! It's by the Métro - Saint Michel, making it so easy to get anywhere in Paris by Metro. There are also several buses stopping nearby. We walked and took the buses because of my broken leg, and found the location to be perfect as it was possible to get to a lot of places without spending money on taxis.

The staff was friendly. And our room was clean and comfortable. We had a sink and shower, but the toilet was down the hall. Great value for 70 euros per night.

I had a broken leg while traveling, as noted above, and needed help coming and going from the hotel. Be aware that there is a long, narrow flight of stairs immediately at the door to enter the hotel. Reception desk is at the top of those stairs. Then there are three more steps to go up to the elevator, which is small but takes you to the rest of the floors. You must be able to handle stairs on your own or with help in order to stay there. But the place is great. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2008

This hotel is in an absolutely great location in the city center, and for the price of 80 euros a night - there is no beating the value.

I stayed for two nights based on the recommendation of one of my colleagues. The bed was alright and clean, and so was the rest of the room. The bathroom was dated, but largely clean except for some minor mold on the shower screen.

Other reviewers are right about the noise! I was skeptical at first about how bad it was, but after staying I agree. It was soooo loud because it is over a very crowed pedestrian street with lots of bars, places to eat and Greek restaurants - two of which are located directly accross from the hotel and were breaking plates in the street late into the night. The crouds stay present early into the morning. The windows that are slightly thicker that plastic wrap you use in the kitchen, do nothing to block the noise. (Also note that garbage is collected VERY early from the street on the Wednesday of the stay - this is REALLY loud).

For me and my girlfriend, this was alright because we were out the whole day and were very tired when we returned - additionally we were not planning for a 'romantic' weekend (this is DEFINITELY not the place for that).

Overall the hotel was clean, in an outstanding location (2 minutes walk from Notre Dame and several key metro stops), the staff was friendly, and was a really great value. Not sure if I would stay again because of the REALLY bad noise (our room was directly on the street) but if you are planning on being either really tired or drunk when you get back - you won't have problems. Given that I was aware of the noise at the time of booking, the cleanliness and the incredible location for the value - I rate the hotel a 4-all things considered.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple