“Not bad”
Review of Les Argonautes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Les Argonautes
Ranked #1,512 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 23 November 2008

The hotel wasn't too bad, I guess we were lucky to get the room with the windows facing the wall, therefore we didn't really hear the sound of dishes breaking in the Greek restaurant downstairs :)) The location is great - you have to cross just one street and you are right in front of the Notre Dame. The hotel itself was ok, toilet was outside of the room, but there was a shower inside. Wi-Fi availiable in some corners of hotel:) Oh and there is a GREAT place for croissants down the street to the right:)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Les Argonautes

Reviewed 7 November 2008

The hotel is in the heart of the latin quarter, right by the Left Bank. Fantastic night life, dining, you are in walking distance of Notre Dame, Conciergerie, Sainte-Chapelle, and Jardin du Luxembourg. Room was small but very nice, the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I loved the place, the price was excellent. The Metro station was at the end of the block and the neighborhood very safe.

Negatives -- shower in the room but labatory was shared, no elevator so you have to walk up stairs, and there is a disco on the 1st floor which is open to 3:30 am. My room was above the dance floor but I didn't come to Paris to not be part of the night so it was not a problem. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to families with small children but anyone else -- yes.

The location was simply fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank wanderforever
Reviewed 28 October 2008

My brother and I visited Paris and ended up staying one night at Les Argonautes unintentionally. We had booked a studio rental but when the shower in the studio didn't work, the owner booked us a night at Les Argonautes. We had a "triple room". There was a queen or double plus a single roll-away bed. Plenty of room for my brother and I although part of my brothers bed went underneath the vanity area. There is a sink and small shower in the room, but it is an open-topped space, so don't shower if your buddy is sleeping. Very different. The toilet is down the hall tucked into a small room and is shared by all on the floor. Our room had a window, but I never heard the sounds of breaking plates and I am a light sleeper. The entire hotel was very clean and the linens were fresh.

What we really loved about this place was the decor. Our room had a safari theme going on which is carried on throughout the hotel. Yes, the room is worn down, but when you have a pack of leopards staring down at you while you lay in bed, you can't help but laugh.

Downstairs in the lobby there is a little breakfast place. The hotel manager makes fresh coffee and serves you the BEST bread and butter. He put some nice soothing Greek instrumental music on for us. We felt like we were on safari in the cozy breakfast place and the music put us at ease. We both smiled and truely felt like we were on vacation. It is one of our favorite memories of the trip.

The manager was very nice. He helped us with tips on how to get to different places, and held our bags for us the day we checked out.

If you are looking for a NICE place to stay, or something with comforts, this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for a good value, budget place, right in the heart of Paris, with a little bit of ecletic charm this place is perfect. Just keep a sense of humor about you and enjoy this little wacky safari hotel, which plays Greek music, in the Greek part of the French quarter, in the heart of Paris! The location can't be beat as it's practically at the feet of Notre Dame, the Seine, and the Metro.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Right in Little Athens in the Latin Quarter. Good clean rooms with an accomodating staff that uses English. Is noisy at night due to Cafes and Night Life and early morning with trash pickup and deliveries.

Best deal in Paris and if you are a good sleeper and or are tired this location is not a problem. Just be aware it is noisy at night.

We would stay there again.

Older travelers

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Not bad! I couldn't get my usual budget Paris hotel so choose this one based on other Tripadvisor member's reviews.

The location is superb, although the surrounding night life can be a bit strange. VERY close to Notre Dame, and very close to the RER and the Metro.

For 70 Euro a night with a bathroom included, it was a perfect price. A little bit noisy at night, but I easily fell asleep thru it. The hotel was good to hold my luggage on my day of departure while I went out into the city for a few more hours.

The Boulangerie on the street is excellent for a quick breakfast (coffee and a croissant) and during lunch/dinner hour the Crepere on the same street is excellent!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I stayed here for a few nights in 2005 in two, different rooms. The rooms are tiny, no frills at all, tiny showers, I don't even think there was a TV; however, they are clean and neat, and most of all very inexpensive. The staff was fabulous; I came in one night from Montmartre a bit blitzed from a party, two of them were drinking at one of the little tables in the reception area, and they invited me to sit down with them, gave me drinks, and told me the craziest stories in the world. One of them was an old, Scottish man in a kilt who performs Scottish ballads in the Greek restaurant downstairs, oddly enough. If you spot him, try to get him talking. I found him highly entertaining and pleasant.

The Greek restaurant downstairs is a hoot; make sure to stop in. The food is good, but the show is better. When my friend and I first walked in, the waiter violently threw a plate at our feet and walked away. We weren't sure if that meant to get the hell out of the restaurant, but then we spotted a table of people passing a helmet around and smashing cheap, ceramic dishes over the wearer's head. So we stayed. The waiters kept pulling hot girls in off the street, and had them all up on the stage in a dance contest. The waiters were quite nimble themselves. One poured some sort of liquid on the ground between the tables, lit it on fire, and did an amazing, Greek fire dance. Another one seated one of the hot girls on the corner of a small table, picked the table with the girl on it up using only his teeth, and span her around. It was a very surprising show, very fun.

So the noise - yes, it is noisy until late at night due to all the traffic on Rue de Huchette and due to the smashing plates. So either bring earplugs or get a room in the back of the hotel.

As far as location - couldn't be better. St. Michel metro is one block away, Notre Dame cathedral is just across a small footbridge, there are tons of restaurants in and around the hotel. If you're out late at night, get an egg and cheese crepe from the crepe vendors who will be around. So satisfying.

Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely - as long as you are on a budget, a deep sleeper/earplug wearer, and don't want any extras outside of a friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2008

The good is that this hotel was in a good location - close to several restaurants and bars/clubs and sites; the staff was very friendly as well. The bad - despite our room, 303, being located at the back of the building, off the noisy street, it was still noisy until about 2am. We both had a hard time sleeping that night. The super slack, old, pathetic pillows did not help either. The bed was a full - I know beds and rooms are not as spacious in Europe however we live in London and have been traveling Europe on a budget for the past year and this place is probably at the bottom of our list. The rooms were small and a bit dingy, the lighting was bad. The shower was teeny tiny and the water pressure was horrible. I shower daily but I was really reluctant to get into that shower each morning/night and I am a size 4; 5'4. I usually don't mind staying in budget hotels, hostels and B&Bs but I in this case, I never looked forward to retreating to the room after a full, long day of sightseeing. The toilet, however, was communal and always kept clean and I never had to wait to use it. There is no sink in the toilet room so to wash up, you have to go back to your room for that. The chambermaids seemed to be very busy in the morning, tidying up and our rooms were maintained to the best of their ability each day. They serve a breakfast for 5 euro, however we didn't try it. We chose to take it at a boulangerie (make a right out the door and walk down to the corner). Be careful walking the stairs as they are narrow and can be a bit steep for some people. Although I was pleased with the location, the price and the dining options, I would not choose to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple