“Cheap, cheerful and kooky”
Review of Les Argonautes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Les Argonautes
Ranked #1,513 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Lund
“Cheap, cheerful and kooky”
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Me and two friends stayed for 3 nights at this kooky little place smack bang on one of the touristiest bar streets in the Quartier Latin.

Choose this hotel if you want a cheap, clean place to sleep, in a convenient location by the foot of the Notre Dame. Expect no luxurious Parisian romance or frills.

The hotel is quite run down, but very clean. The décor in the reception/breakfast room is a full-on jungle theme. Don't miss the minuscule "roof garden" by the reception.

The staff is friendly, if a little quirky. We shared a double room with an extra bed, which was a foldable, moderately comfortable IKEA-style cot. The double bed was 140 cm wide, and to normal French comfort standards. Again, no frills, but perfectly adequate.

Our room had a shower in a makeshift bathroom corner, but no toilet. The shared toilets are tiny, and a bit outdated, but spotlessly clean.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, if you can stand the hubub of the street below. Note that the bars and clubs in the neighbourhood are very noisy during the night on weekends, bring earplugs if you're sensitive.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ida1

Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My husband and I came across this place while walking around looking for a cheap hotel in a good location. We stayed in two different rooms on two different stays. The first was a double room at the back of the hotel with a shower and a sink but we had to share a bathroom. The second was a double room at the front of the hotel with full bathroom facilities. Both rooms were very good and clean as was the shared bathroom. The decor is older but clean. This hotel is a little quirky but has great personality. We found that the hotel met all of our needs and gave us a great base to explore the city. It is located on a busy pedestrian only lane than has many restaurants, bars and shops. It is located right across from Notre Dame. We did find that in the night it was a little noisy with our window open but nothing that kept us up all night. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They offer a breakfast a 5 euros that has unlimited coffee which is a bargain in this area of Paris. You will find that there are more cheap eat choices in this area with gyros and pizza take out places but also some fixed price menus that start at 15 euros for dinnner and up. Overall great location! I can't wait to go back to stay at this hotel again and explore Paris!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kelall
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Just wrapped up a 3 day stay here. Has all the basics - good hot water pressure, heating (don't know about a/c), and a decent bed. Location is less than 100 ft from St-Michel metro/RER stop so convenient from airport and the street has TONS of restaurants to choose from. The stairs to the entrance were reasonable, at least wide and straight. The guy who checked me in seemed very nice and not sleazy at all. The room is a good size for a single. I certainly had a *little* bit of room to move about. The wifi from the 2nd floor had good strength.

Downsides - I had a "quiet" room on 2nd floor and Saturday night, could still feel the throbbing in my room until 4am. Sunday night was a lot quieter though. The heat is turned up high, but I'd rather that than the reverse!!! No cleaning during the 3 days so you're stuck with your mess. On the other hand, it means I don't worry so much about housekeeping stealing my stuff! For the price though, don't know if it can be beat. The alternative would be Mont blanc which is just down the street and even closer to the Metro.

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank wu1102
London
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I stayed in a single room and can thoroughly recommend this hotel - my room was basic but spotlessly clean, it was quiet (some others, I believe, have complained about noise, but I was at the back of the hotel and so this wasn't an issue), the shower water was hot - and the location! Set in a busy street full of bars and eateries, everything one might want is close at hand, and it is one street back from the Notre Dame - if I leaned out of my window I could see the Seine and hear the bells from a nearby church chime... fantastic!

The hotel has a charming, slightly eccentric air - the ceilings of the rooms have wooden beams, the breakfast room is decked out in exotic curios and it has a lovely little suntrap courtyard - but above all, the best thing about this hotel was the ever-helpful attitude of the staff. They told me everything I wanted to know about the area, and I needed to make a number of late-night calls while I was there (my phone wasn't working, I was supposed to meet friends, it was a disaster) and the hotel receptionist patiently tried the numbers over and over again and even rang up to my room to see if I wanted to try a number again. It rare to find such kindness amongst strangers. I recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank MissMarvelette
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I am a 28 year old woman and I stayed alone at Les Argonautes in the Latin Quarter (5th district) for three nights, Friday through Sunday night. Definitely not what I'm used to but I really enjoyed it. It is located right around the corner from Notre Dame and 10minutes walk from the Louvre. (Take a picnic to the metal bridge next to the museum, it's lovely) I had a single room on the first floor. It was very loud until about 5am but luckily I had earplugs, get a good pair if you're staying in a single room. The club below is not open on Sundays so I got a good rest. The other reviews talked of breaking plates but they don't do that anymore.
If you're lucky Mr. Jamie, an older Scottish man, will be there (as he stays there quite often) and you can spend your evenings chatting with him and Tsila the night innkeeper in the little lush garden in the middle of the hotel. I would say that was a highlight of my Paris stay. My friends were surprised when I told them I spent my nights having great conversations instead of hitting the clubs, but it was wonderful. Mr. Jamie and Tsila are extremely helpful when it comes to asking questions about the city. Don't bother with the other staff members, they're a bit spacey to say the least. Expect to receive a wake-up call only half the time you ask for it.
Tips on the surrounding area- There is a bakery called Le Bougelerie de Papa on the corner, eat there. The croissant is incredible and the coffee is cheap. The local street dancers hang out there at night and are fun to chat with. There is also a pizza parlor on the opposite corner of St. Michel square next to William Z souvenir shop that has the best pizza I've had in my life! Wow! When eating out it's cheaper to order from the menu instead of al a carte. You get appetizer, entrée and dessert. Order the House wine because you're in France and they wine is going to be great anyway. Plus it's only about 1euro more than a soda. They measure in cl, whatever that is, not ml or oz. 50cl is enough for two big glasses of wine. Ask for a carafe d'eau (carafe of tap water) instead of the bottle, it tastes fine. Also, if you pass over Notre Dame bridge (there's a flower market there) and head 2 streets forward you'll come to Rue Rivoli take a right (away from the Louvre, which is on the same street down to the left) and keep walking. There you will find local street grocers, real french patisseries with gorgeous sweets, and some shops and a supermarket that's open on Sundays. You'll also see French people; which is unusual in the city center.
Back to the hotel- The double rooms are on the top floors and have a toilet and shower en suite and from what I understand are much quieter. You must book early if you want these rooms! I was a bit skeptical about sharing a toilet but they were surprisingly clean. The single room was small but always clean and they refresh the towels and make the bed everyday. The shower is clean and en suite. There is always hot water and they give packets of shower gel and soap. The only complaint about the room is the long round pillow they provide, a bit lumpy. Bring your own if you like flatter pillows.
I always felt safe in this area and if you get lost, ask the police where to go- they are everywhere.
If you plan on visiting Paris for the hotels, stay somewhere else. But if you go to soak up the life; stay at Les Argonautes.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Texas-Girl-In-Greece
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2010

It was the best location in my opinion being close to the Metro, walking tours, Notre Dame and even not far from the Louvre. The Latin Quarter is full of restaurants and also with live music at night. It's on a narrow street that just seemed magical. The room was okay but clean and the staff was nice but a little loud and smelled like food coming from below. If you're on a budget, then you just can't beat the location and neat place overall.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank sheela7
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Quaint. Clean. Friendly staff. No frills. Price is right. Stayed here in 2006 and again in 2009. It's now my "go to" place when in Paris for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple