“Good, Clean Hostel”

Auberge de Jeunesse MIJE Fourcy
Ranked #3 of 187 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My friends and I got a private room at this hostel, and it was overall a good choice. The included breakfast was pretty good, the rooms were clean, and even though we shared a toilet we never had a problem using it anytime we needed it. The staff was quite helpful, although we had one hiccup in that they mixed up the dates we were staying and we had to move to a sister hostel for one night. For this location (right in the heart of the Marais) and price, you really can't beat the MIJE Fourcy.

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the street was surprisingly quieter than some facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I had a private room for 3 nights facing the court yard. The room was clean and comfortable. Bed was a bit firm but good enough. Shower great. Only complaint was my room faced the court yard which while a gorgeous view led to noise in the night and morning. After a full day of walking... This made it difficult to rest. Even so I would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jouliagoulia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed at the one round the corner from Fourcy as when you book you can be placed at any three of there branches (all within streets of each other) I stayed at Fourcounnier, and paid a little extra for a private room which was the best decision I've made during travels. Check-In isn't till 3pm but they have a secure luggage room with small lockers for valuables, the staff were friendly, spoke English and always happy to help. There is no lift but only 3 floors I think so isn't too bad, I was in room 22 and it was perfect for one person, spacious, very clean with shelves and a rail with coat hangers for clothes, a long type table with a stool and a comfortable bed with clean sheets everyday. There were huge French windows which opened onto an ivy covered wall and the street below. There was also a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink with plenty of space for storage of toiletries. Bin was emptied regularly and there were hooks on the wall for coats and bags ect, there was also a small storage space under the bed too which came in useful for shoes ect. Free breakfast included, basic but free. A smallish courtyard with tables and chairs and inside seating area. There is also a coffee machine and internet kiosk.
All in all it felt more like a hotel in some ways than a hostel, brilliant location, 2 minutes from the metro and main street of Rivoli and two minutes in the opposite direction to the river. There is a curfew of 1am and is closed from then until 7am but I didn't find this a problem at all.
5/5 and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: With the prices of sharing rooms in dorms compared to other European Countries I preferred to pay th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Kayleigh T
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at this hostel. On both occasions I've found the rooms comfortable and clean (though the white walls do appear grubby but likely only need a fresh coat of paint). I really enjoy the design of the hostel (around a central courtyard) and love its location within Le Marais quarters in Paris. During this most recent trip, we arrived midday and had only one evening in Paris. After checking into the hostel, we spent the day on foot and were able to visit the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Saint Sulpice and Le Cartier Latin with its wonderful shops and restaurants. The St Paul metro station is steps away and you can get to Gare Lyon (from which you are able to grab the TGV) in a couple of stops.

I would stay at this hostel again!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Angela J
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Their policy is to only accept reservations 45 days prior to your trip. On day 45, I tried to make a reservation. For some reason, they didn't get my email. I couldn't get confirmation. I sent a fax and they then said they were booked up. I'm the type of person to make my res months in advance and was worried about this. They told me on the phone to call a few days prior to my visit. When I did call, they always seemed confused about the reservation.

Now this did not just happened once; I also tried to make reservations for my daughter for a different trip and the same thing happened. Then they had two (instead of one) room for her. Once she arrived, she did not get the building she asked for and she had to move twice during her stay. She did not like the hostel. And, yes, we enjoy our hostels. This one was poorly run.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank Deb-paralegal
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed at the MIJE Fourcy with a group of 30 students in Dec 12/ Jan 13. It was a good place for a group of kids, great location - metro st Paul. Small supermarket around the corner plus cafes, chemist, bank etc. Friendly reception, you can have a free safe for the group leader. The internet kiosk isn't flash as it is very slow and hard to use. Many used the free wifi at Starbucks across from the metro entrance. Good french breakfast. Small rooms but hey it's a hostel in Paris! The building was quite safe. Rooms were warm but the beds were average re comfort. Would take a group here again. Read previous reviews re bed bugs but we didn't have any problems.

Room Tip: Our group was on 1st and 2nd floors - good as didn't have to drag cases up too far. Has a lift b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ozgirl07
Reviewed 4 December 2012

MIJE Fourcy could be a great hostel if they fixed one problem: bed bugs. I read previous reviews where others mentioned getting bitten by bed bugs, but I thought the problem had been taken care of so I risked it. Well apparently it is still a problem evidenced by the 3 huge, swollen, red and itchy bite marks on my arm that I acquired there. I wrote an e-mail to the staff telling them what happened to me but have received no reply.

Other than this issue it is a nice hostel. The building is very beautiful and peaceful, and the staff were all very polite. It is in a great central location to many tourist sites and right by the metro station. The price can't be beat for the location! Despite all the good things about this place, I will not return because I find the bed bug problem unacceptable. If so many people have complained and it is still an issue, that just goes to show that they are not taking it seriously. I really wouldn't recommend this hostel based on this fact, unless you want to risk getting bitten.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a private room! I had to share a room with 2 girls who snored louder than...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo