“Cosy, great location”

Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris
Ranked #478 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
“Cosy, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here with my wife. Small hotel in a building from the 13th century. Friendly staff. Clean small room. The location is fantastic, quiet, but with great restaurants and bars close by. Recommended!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We spent a week in Paris at the Vieux Paris. We cannot say enough about the staff. Alain, Henry, et. al. were very accommodating and helpful with everything we wanted. The hotel is charming with a very nice breakfast available in the morning. You cannot beat the location, walking distance to Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, the Dorsay, the Louvre, the Cluny and a skip to the Seine. Wonderful cafes in the area and an excellent restaurant, Ze Kitchen Gallerie right around the corner. The rooms are small, but well appointed. The pillows could be more comfortable, we had two lumpy ones, but all in all a comfortable night's sleep. This is a great place to stay if you like to walk around and want a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gabpt
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely week staying at this gorgeous hotel. I was delighted with its rich history surrounding the beat generation poets and was thrilled at the poet alumni that had stayed at the hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous at all times at very welcoming. We had been to Paris once before so had a plan of what we wanted to visit but if you weren't sure what to see the staff were always at hand to help with ideas or a map of how to get there. The location couldn't be better with easy access to lots of the sights. Great also as a starting point for an amble along the Seine or the older parts of Paris. Our was pretty compact but had everything we needed and had real character - as long as you used your wardrobe facility and popped your suitcase away it was fine. The air conditioning was very efficient but a bit rattley - it was chilly when we went so we didn't need it much and turned it off mostly but I could imagine it might be a bit noisy if it was on all the time in the height of summer. Basically, I loved my stay here and felt very welcomed - a warmly staffed cosy slice of real paris. Much better than a stay in a boring chain hotel and it was in a fantastic location. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate N
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed at the Vieux Paris for a week in July 2012 with my cousin. The rate was high for this we thinks overrated 4 stars hotel.The day we check in, the lady owner came to our room ,asked me to help her to translate some Mandarin Chinese Name for some rooms arrangement. it is complicate to help when the guests are not with us, after a while, I wanted to go , but Madame blocked the way, insisted that I stayed! Finally the guests arrived and I worked with them, It took me almost an hour before she let me go but did not even says "thanks" !

There was a very hospitable and funny front-desk person name Remie ? Recently, I have a big group and looking for hotel to stay, and I phone the hotel and was told that the helpful Remie is not working there anymore, what a shame, lucky I found a cheaper and owners are nicer hotel to stay.

Lillian CHAN N L

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I hate to rate this a 2, actually I would rate this hotel between a 2 and a 3, it just didn't do it for me right from the beginning. The location is great and is walking distance to Notre Dame. The hotel is 10 steps from the Seine so it is perfect for walking to some great locations, but the hotel is small, small, small, small. The elevator is the size of a coffin and only fits one person with a medium sized suitcase. If you are a couple, good luck getting in together with your luggage. I stretched out my arm and the elevator isn't even the width of my arm. The front desk man was rude and I'm pretty used to the Parisians having been to Paris many times on business, but i just didn't find the staff here at all friendly or helpful. The room is well, SMALL. When i mean small, I mean it is so small that i could barely put my takeout food on the side table without my drink practically falling off, I ended up eating on the bed because there is just no room to do anything. This is the first hotel I've stayed at in Paris where i was really frustrated by the size of the room. I don't know what I would have done if someone else was with me. It was a nightmare. The shower is well, cruise ship small. I'm not one to complain about the size of rooms normally because really if you are on vacation, you really just sleep there, but this room was too claustrophobic. I think for the rate, you can definitely find a better hotel somewhere else in Paris. It looked really charming online, but this is an example of how looks can be deceiving.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank shoes4me
Thalwil, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Paris and want to be right in the heart of things. I stayed there with my daughter for a weekend and could not have asked for a better place to stay. The location is excellent - a few minutes walk to Notre Dame, Marais district, Saint Germain and more, and steps from the Seine. And the metro is right around the corner. We were greeted extremely warmly and the service remained excellent throughout our stay. Despite being in such a busy, active area, the room was completely quiet. The room itself was full of charm. We loved that it was not just a typical standard hotel room, but rather exquisite exposed beams and lovely wallpaper and curtains. It was very clean as well. We were in an "executive" queen room and it had a little sitting area separate from the bed, which was great. The room and bathroom were small but not unusually so for Europe. The bed, pillows and comforter were really comfortable. The air conditioning worked great, as did everything else except for the wifi which worked ok in the sitting room part of the room but not in the bed area at all. Wifi coverage might depend on the specific room you get. We chose not to do the breakfast as there are so many cute cafes so close. There is a fantastic restaurant (Le Lutin dans le Jardin) for dinner about 20 meters from the hotel door. Another reviewer called this an absolute gem and I fully agree.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ExpatInCH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Fantastic location on the left bank just across from Notre Dame and the Louvre. Stayed there for 3 nights in Paris in October and just loved it. The hotel is small and almost hidden in an alley, but for a couple looking to be out and about sightseeing in Paris the friendly staff and central location make it ideal. Very clean and the staff spoke excellent English. Would definitely stay there again if traveling to Paris.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple