“Charming and timeless....”

Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris
Ranked #534 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Absolutely loved staying at this wonderful gem of a hotel situated in the most perfect location on the left bank. Half a block to the Seine and a short walk to Notre Dame, the Louvre, the flower market and so many amazing Paris highlights. The staff here is warm, friendly and incredibly helpful, especially Alain and Ahmad. Looking forward to staying here again in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and open the windows for fresh air!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AMSJDS
There are newer reviews for Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Unfortunately I had an extremely unpleasant stay at this hotel.

We booked a standard room for 5 nights. Room was small, as expected for paris. There was room on the floor for my husband's suitcase but that was it. Mine ended up having to lean again the door which was very annoying when trying to get out.

The air conditioning in the hotel wasn't working. Being the middle of summer it was pretty warm in paris. It was exceptionally hot in our room. The first 3 nights I got hardly any sleep because the heat was so uncomfortable. It was torture. The hotel gave us a fan but unfortunately it provided no relief. When I asked the staff if they knew when the air conditioner would be fixed he wasn't sure and said it had already been out of order for 2 weeks.

Shower leaked every time we used it leading to a sopping wet bathroom floor.

On a positive note the hotel is in a great location.

If you're looking for a 4 star hotel look elsewhere. I have no idea how this hotel could be classified as a 4 star.

Would I stay there again? No way!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Miapod12
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We chose this little hotel (27 rooms) because it was so close to the Ile de la Cite, the heart of old Paris and it was affordable. The online reviews and photos showed lovely decorated rooms and when we arrived we were not disappointed.

The hotel staff arranged for our pick-up at the airport and couldn't have been more helpful and friendly despite our limited knowledge of French. We were warmly welcomed and our room was lovely, nicely decorated with good shower and bathroom facility. The staff went the extra mile in getting us acquainted with Paris, with directions, recommendations, etc.

We had such a lovely stay that when it was time to leave and move to another hotel to meet a tour we had booked, we were very sad to be leaving.

This place is the perfect romantic getaway for a couple visiting Paris. Mde Oddilard and her staff have made this place a little treasure to be found.

Room Tip: It's a quiet street so all the rooms should be quiet. We were on the third floor. The elevator...
1  Thank Jeffrey D
Reviewed 26 July 2014

It was one of the great moments of my life when I found the Relias Hotel de Viuex Paris just after the hotel had opened for business. While getting to know the woman with a life long dream of owning and operating a boutique hotel in the city she had lived all her life.
I was in my late 30's with the job of developing a global consortium for a USA based company. It required my spending equal time in Europe and Asia making over 100 trips to over 50 countries.
When you live in hotels in new countries, where you have no friends, your hotel becomes much more than just a place to sleep and eat.
After my first night and meeting Madame Oddilard, I was fortunate that I had a home and a friend who helped me learn what is the cultural fabric, that makes it a city whose residents live and work in what for most is a prime vacation destination. Then learning the passion, and energy this woman has for providing the best possible experience for her guest as they come to Paris for various reasons, but primarily for a vacation and experience one of the most unique cities in the world. What is truly remarkable was she took the risk of borrowing millions of at that time French Franks when she was in her early 60's, when most everyone else is thinking of retirement and a life of leisure she was just getting started.
I lived at the Hotel du Vieux Paris for up to 2 weeks at time and almost 3 months in total, using the extensive train network to travel to other countries that were less than a 4 hour train ride as the time to travel by air in the early 90's was extremely time consuming when you add time for the expensive ride to the airport, the security delays and the typical 20% delayed flight. With check-in for international flight now at a minimum of 3 hours plus getting to and from airport. Madame Oddilard helped me learn how to use my time most efficiently. Leading to a much better quality of life, especially when I could be back to my Paris home.
After a merger of companies, I decided it was time to use what I had learned about the culture and for the education of the global business traveler. Shortly after my first consulting contract I was severely injured and found I had to come back to Paris to see the physician who had started studying my injury in the late 1980's. I called Madame Oddilard and graciously she arranged my appointment with the doctor and even meeting my wife and I at the airport when we arrived at Charles DeGaul Airport and bringing us home to her hotel. After a medical error in 2000 I was left with damage to my spinal cord, ending my travel other than to try find a doctor who could help me. I did not know if I would ever make it back to my Paris home and my friend.
Finally after a trip to Dusseldorf, Germany from July 14- 18 to a doctor, who through a remarkable new treatment was able to treat the inflammation that caused the pain from my injury. After the remarkable results my traveling partner and me, took a train trip from Dusseldorf for a weekend in Munich, two nights at friends in Zug, Switzerland, and a return to Paris for 2 nights at the Hotel du Vieux and a reunion with my friend Madame Oddilard.
After 16 years I discovered my old home had been completely remodeled, including changing the rooms to create more suites, new bathrooms and a amazing decor that is of a quality rarely found. Yet, while I found new faces working to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They may not be perfect everyday, but with the same passion they learned from the owner and manager they will strive to meet your every need.
Earning her 4th star in Paris requires an investment in raising service levels along with the quality of the overall hotel, that assure the most discriminating guest the value they are seeking. If you are used to using large chain hotels and not open to the small hotel experience, where you interact directly with the owner, it may not be the right choice for you. However if you want one of the best boutique hotels in the world you will be happy at with your choice of the Hotel du Vieux Paris. It's location, it's history and most importantly you will meet a truly remarkable woman, now in her 80's with the same passion I saw over 20 years ago. You will never forget spending a night, a week or several months over a period of 20 years with my friend Madame Claude Oddilard and her creation the Relias Hotel du Vieux Paris. If one loves their work we all will be the beneficiary. Madame Oddilard is the epitome of someone who loves what she has created and now on a daily basis makes her guest the object of her dedication and her love for seeing her dream come true.

Room Tip: The Suites are simply wonderful, the rooms are smaller, but all guests are treated like you are the...
5  Thank Darrell B
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel because of all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and for the location. I couldn't have been more happy with the friendliness of the staff and especially the receptionists. Henry went out of his way to explain the hotel, the area and the best deals around town. His colleague at night was equally helpful with restaurant recommendations and answering requests. The room was small but pleasant, breakfast was good, and the hotel was very quiet considering it was just one street off a very busy road. This hotel is good value and I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank LindaG1970
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We usually rent apartments while in Paris. When the last rental was not up to our expectations, we were literally on the street looking on Trip Advisor for a good hotel. We immediately booked this hotel online and could not have been more delighted. The location is truly the best, near Notre Dame, strolling the Seine, fantastic restaurants and so much more. Very safe area, Free wifi, safe, AC... Oh the shopping :-) some of the best little boutiques around!

Henri and the rest of the lovely staff could not have been more helpful and entertaining. The restaurants Henri booked for us were excellent and just steps away from the hotel. Guests are treated like family and it's so refreshing to be surrounded by people who enjoy their job and making sure their guests are happy.

The room was clean, non-smoking, the beds very comfortable and even being on the 2nd floor (US floor) it was quiet. This charming hotel from the 1500's offered all the creature comforts. I also like the fact that it did not smell old or dated. We did not have the breakfast because we choose to sleep in, we heard it was wonderful! Next time we will make an effort to get up earlier to enjoy it.

We have never felt more welcomed like this in a hotel before - felt more like we were visiting friends. There was also a great vibe with the guests - everyone was friendly and we had dinner with 2 wonderful sisters with whom we exchanged emails and facebook.

We will definitely be returning, Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris was one of the highlights of our 2 weeks trip in France!

Room Tip: No matter what room you get, it will be nice to return to after spending the day enjoying everything...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CyndieSiegel
Reviewed 7 July 2014

You can not ask for a better location. It is a stones throw from the Seine and a 10 minute walk to both the Louvre and Notre Dame. This is a typical Parisian hotel being spread over 5 floors. The room was small (This is standard in Paris, and the hotel is over 500 years old) but very well decorated with original beams on display and the room was spotless. As the hotel was set on a side street a good nights sleep is assured. The hotel does not have a bar, however this was not a problem as it is surrounded by numerous small bars and restaurants, which is also useful if you want to have breakfast out. Best cafes for breakfast are on the Rue St Andre Des Arts and the intersection with Rue De Seine
The manager Henri could not be more friendly or helpful, he spoke excellent English and even printed out maps so that we could find our way on foot from the hotel to some of the designer shops that my wife wanted to visit.

WE COULD NOT PICK A BETTER LOCATION OR HOTEL.

Room Tip: As the hotels is in a side street all the rooms are relatively quite. If you want to guarantee a qui...
1  Thank 461TonyB