“Truly superb meal, excellent service.”
Review of Vivant

Vivant
Ranked #7,708 of 17,292 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$20 - US$60
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A vast, inviting counter. A handful of tables. A wine cellar teeming with natural wines. A chef. And a sommelier. This is Vivant Cave. An honest and authentic spot defined by five clean and simple elements. A setting for simple pleasures, where superficiality and guilt can’t sit at any table. And a spot in which, when it comes to palatable fulfillment, the journey is the same for both solid and liquid. Even though with different, yet intertwining paths. Vivant Cave is divergence and convergence. Duality and harmony at the same time. A double tandem, each with a diverse duo of personality and atmosphere, both powering the same engine: the pleasure of the palate. Every night is an unperilous odyssey, voyaging through the grape varieties and terroirs of our boundless haven Mother Earth, mooring with delectable plates that will ennoble your drinks. And vice-versa of course. Vivant Cave is about engagement. Between daily catch and grape harvests, vegetable gardens and vines, the chef and the sommelier. And every time, it’s a heart-to-heart in which each single guest is never just a simple spectator. Because in this homelike spot, sharing is quintessential. Vivant Cave is all about Nature. From the cork of your bottles, to the tip of your forks.
San Diego, California
“Truly superb meal, excellent service.”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I like finding gems of restaurants. Places where the chef may be somewhat unknown and is free to explore and serve creative and delicious food without the pomp of a 3* experience. I'd read about Vivant on several foodie blogs and made it my purpose to visit the eatery on a long layover at CDG in December. Following a long walk from my hotel, I was disappointed to discover that my email requests for a reservation had not been received, but they were quick to seat me as there were some available tables that evening.

The owner was standoffish at first until the first course and wine pairing arrived. We talked about the wine and how some of the flavors, unique to my palette, reminded me of some Belgian beers. There was a spark in his eye as we started talking beer. Then, on the spot, he told me that he wanted to change the pairings and bring me some things that I would find especially interesting. I was blown away. Truly fabulous pairings with perfectly prepared and unpretentiously presented food. I've eaten at many Michelin starred restaurants, but will return to Vivant the moment I next visit Paris.

Thanks for such a tremendous and memorable meal!

For those interested, I believe that it ran somewhere around 150 Euros for the tasting menu including the pairing.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jeffrey G

Paris, France
“Little gem in the 10th”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Got to know this place by chance. Was looking for a glass of wine but it has been impossible not to order something to eat. The interior design is simple, somehow "old style" and at the same time modern. Couple of tables but most seats are at "comptoir". So you can enjoy the japanese chef preparing delicious and fresh dishes. Not wide range of choice. I had asparagus with mushrooms & then seabass with colorful vegetables. Amazing! Prices are super for quality (35euro for stater & main course). The plus: all wines are bio & natural. The minus: the guy who was running the place yesterday tries to be fun but actually I found him rude. (sometimes he works also for Bones)

• Visited April 2014
Sydney, Canada
“Excellent food, terrible service”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I travelled to Paris as part of our honeymoon. We are some fantastic food, both fine dining and not. Our experience at this restaurant was mixed. We had read the reviews prior to visiting and decided not knowing the menu would be a fantastic way to have dinner. The sommelier greeted us at the door and was quite polite. We asked for a suggestion of a bottle of wine and were given a delicious bottle of Spanish wine. I read a previous review of the opening of the bottle of wine and this is quite true. When we asked for a suggestion he opened the bottle of wine and didn't tell us how much it was. In the end the bottle of wine was pretty fantastic and about 50 euro so wasn't too much of a worry. This is where the service stopped being good. A waiter with a bald head (this is for the restaurants owners information) was terrible. We have a fair bit of experience with fine dining and he was the worst I have encountered. I believe in the entire conversational exchange we had with him, he said three words. One of which included scallops. One was chocolate and I'm not sure of the other. Each dish which came out was slapped on the table with no care or respect for the fantastic food. I watched the waiters interaction with other diners and with French customers it was jovial and friendly. With others who didn't speak French it was nothing short of discraceful. Can I reiterate that my wife and I are not rude travellers. Having come from australia and having little experience with languages we attempted numerous times to engage in French of which were not answered or acknowledged. After the second course and I still didn't have water I put my hand up asking for service (I had asked in terrible French several times previous). The waiter waved me off whilst he was leaning on the kitchen wall and came with water after the third course. We decided early on that we wouldn't let this experience ruin our night. The food was Devine. The head chef and sous chef worked extremely hard (so did the person washing up) and their preparation was evident in the quality of the dinner. Altogether every course was just delicious and the food was better than other restaurants such as frenchie (which was still excellent). Altogether it was quite expensive but the food was worth it. If I was the restaurant owner and want to fill tables during the winter I would sack the waiter and congratulate the chefs.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Scaleson
Princeton, NJ
“Avoid this place on your trip to Paris!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Talk about bait and switch! I have never had such a bad experience at a restaurant in Paris. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Paris and THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM! Not only was the food plain old mediocre at best, but they were total con artists with the wine. We ordered a 50 euro bottle of 2006 cabernet sauvignon that the waiter brought it over already open (he did not open it in front of us or show us the bottle before pouring), then we told him we thought it might be corked and he agreed, but then brought over a random decantor (without telling us what it was or where it came from). He said the other wine we originally ordered was now sold out and to have this instead. It was also terrible wine (and why would he it bring it over already in a decanter, without even showing us the bottle!) He eventually brought over the empty bottle 20 minutes later for us to see that it was a random 2012 cabernet sauvignon and then when we got the bill it was a 65 euros! The food was also tasteless and really not up to par with so many other great restaurants in Paris.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Stephanie M
London, United Kingdom
“Helping you, The diner.”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I love food, Wine and Travel.
My wife and I are classically trained chefs from the Uk. Sorry to have to say this. We both love looking for great places to dine when visiting cities/towns/villages all over Europe/the world with the help of TRIPADVISOR. VIVANT TABLE was a huge disappointment. The food was ok! The dining room was basic to say the least. But the staff were terrible. Zero service, care or love. Do not bother going. There are so many other restaurants in Paris to have fun and eat. SEPTIME to name just one. I hate writing bad reviews, this dinning room needed one. The bill was 230euros for 2. Crazy. What is the world coming to. Too cool for school. If your in the trade do not go. Regards.

• Visited December 2013