“Another side of Paris worth seeing”

Ricki Stevenson's Black Paris Tours
Ranked #92 of 560 Tours in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A walking-public/city bus tour that takes you to the Paris haunts, hangouts and places made famous by African-Americans. Founded in 1997 by former newscaster and travel reporter, Ricki Stevenson, Black Paris Tours provides little-known facts about the early presence of Africans and African Americans in the City of Light and introduces travelers to great jazz clubs, Diaspora museums of interest and restaurants worth writing home about!
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I went to Paris as part of our 34th wedding anniversary celebration. Visiting Paris was high on our list as we also visited Milaga,Spain and spent a day in Morocco. It was a wonderful time. The highlight of the vacation was Paris. Madame Stevenson gave Paris a personal face for us and helped us to feel like we belonged and could claim Paris as our own. At her recommendation, we went to a great Jazz club and a free outdoor jazz concert in the park. During our day long tour we visited historical sites that reflected the influence of Blacks in Paris, toured little Africa and ate lunch at a wonderful Senegalese restuarant where they welcomed us and treated us like family (and the food was delicious!), she gave advice about saving money on the rail system, answered all our questions, and showed us a side of Paris that many people never see. I will go back soon. I have made a commitment to all my neices and nephews that when they visiti Paris I will pay for the tour so that they too can know that Paris belongs to us all. My life was changed by the experience. I have a more accurate picture of Paris that is inclusive and liberating.

1  Thank sandra h

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I'd been to Paris one and half times before. This time was different. Richer. Juicier. More memorable all because my and my friends did one of the Black Paris Tours. BPT, even before we boarded the plane for Paris, helped make our adventure sweeter and easier by providing resources and advice to us via emails. Things we would not have known but for BPT.

Wow! I had no idea the Black presence in Paris was so extensive. BPT educated me, making my visit, this time around, feel more welcoming. I finally understood why I, a writer, loved Paris so. Paris had not only been the home to writers like James Baldwin and Langston Hughes, but legions of black artists, performers, painters and such had left either lived or visited Paris some time during their careers. I only knew the extent to which Paris had been touched by black people because Ricki Stevenson knows the history of Black people in Paris like I know the contour of my body.

Ah, Little Africa! Little Africa was the highlight of my experience of Paris. What an absolutely rich and soul satisfying several hours that me and my friends shared with BPT at dinner in a most charming African restaurant. And let's not forget the food, it was scrumptious delicious!

Thank you Black Paris Tours for making mine and my friends' visit to Paris unforgettable! See you on my next visit to the City of Light!

DeBora M. Ricks

2  Thank DeBoraRicks
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This tour exceeded all my expectations. It incorporated Black Paris into a tour of Paris more generally so I received a real sense of the relationship between and among blacks, including exiled blacks from the United States, black activists who came to Paris to obtain support in the racial justice work and white Parisians. It expanded my knowledge of such notables as Josephine Baker and Alexander Dumas. And educated me on the legacy of the Dumas' : I - general under Napoleon; II - author most noted fro Three Musketeers; and III - playwright. It was humbling and exhilarating to see the honor bestowed on the three by France for their significant contributions to France. Finally, seeing locations where black artists continue to come and share their musical talents and what is known as Little Africa gave me an understanding of the continuing relationship of blacks to France.

1  Thank AdjoaA
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I took this tour with my husband and daughter right after Christmas and it was the best one I have ever taken. I followed the instructions on the website and everything went smoothly. From the moment I contacted Ricki I knew I was in good hands. We finalized our tour and then immediately received additional information, such as how to arrange for pick-up from the airport, suggestions for restaurants, spas, and jazz clubs. This was not part of her tour but our first indication that she really cared that we had a great experience throughout our time in the city..Who does that???? In addition, Ricki's to-do lists were not just handy but they were prepared by an American who loves Paris. She sees the magic of the city with similar eyes...what a treat. Finally, the tour itself was superb. We went across the city seeing the obelisk from Egypt, then to see the 3 generations of Alexander Dumas monuments, to the era of jazz greats and today's rock and hip-hop venues. Finally, on to my personal passion - shopping. She took us to a "marche" or outdoor area where the Parisians go to purchase everything from groceries to cashmere coats. So now I will end where I started: this was A Fabulous Experience...simply perfect! Go!!!!

2  Thank henderfam
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I enjoyed the Black Paris Tour and Ricki Stevenson is well informed and a delight to be with, we have remained in touch and I have referred several friends to her tour. Carmel Rey