“A "Not to Miss" Piece of Paris!”

Ricki Stevenson's Black Paris Tours
Ranked #91 of 553 Tours in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A walking-public/city bus tour that takes you to the Paris haunts, hangouts and places made famous by African-Americans. Founded in 1997 by former newscaster and travel reporter, Ricki Stevenson, Black Paris Tours provides little-known facts about the early presence of Africans and African Americans in the City of Light and introduces travelers to great jazz clubs, Diaspora museums of interest and restaurants worth writing home about!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

After hearing an interview with Ricki Stevenson on NPR's "Marketplace" several years back and then reading "The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family", I'd always wanted to take her "Black Paris Tour." So glad we did! Ricki provided incredible insights into the long history of African-American experiences with Paris. Through Ricki, we stepped where many African-American intellectuals, athletes, performers, writers and civil rights activists had once lived, spoke, performed or simply enjoyed life outside the US context of slavery and Jim Crow segregation. The tour is well thought-out and informative - kept me engaged until the end! And after re-discovering the incredible life of Josephine Baker through the Black Paris Tour, I headed South to Dordogne to visit the Josephine Baker museum at Chateau Les Milandes. Thank you, Ricki, for adding such a rich dimension to my France vacation!

1  Thank SirenitaJudy

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had the great pleasure of touring Paris with Ricki Stevenson on Saturday and Monday, and it opened my eyes to an entire new Parisian world. I have been to Europe, Paris specifically, many times and I had never taken a Black Paris Tour but after this last trip I will always link up with Ricki when I return to France. This was an educational and engaging experience, she is a true historian and world class traveler. I learned so much about my history as a Black American in Paris as well as the history of our two nations. I also had the pleasure of taking the Bastille Day cruise with her, and it was phenomenal. The wonderful men and women I met on both tours we a great part of the touring experience, we all shared contact information and will stay in touch. This is an amazing tour and brought about great value to my Parisian experience.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great job Madame Stevenson (and Team). This added so much more value to my vacation that will be cherished and shared for generations. I encourage everyone to take this tour because it helps understand the traditions and cultural foundation to ALL of Paris.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My son and I barely had two days in Paris before traveling to Nice. We wanted something to include culture as well as see the usual sites. The Black Paris Tour gave us the cultural experience we were looking for and more!
This is a tour anyone could take and enjoy. Let me be clear, it is a walking tour. But Ricki Stevenson takes you into a world of black history that tells the tale of American literary, entertainment and sports icons that found success and above all respect as they left permanent imprints in Paris. She educated us on the lives of Dumas and is connection to Arc de Triomphe, Josephine Baker and our connection with the Tour de France. Definitely a walk back into time worth taking. Be sure to visit little Africa and get a meal worth it's cost in Euros. That will be the best and cheapest meal of your Paris visit.
The downside is we probably didn't experience all there was to experience. The day got away from us and it had to end sometime. We are going to have to do it again to be sure we capture all there is to experience. This tour is definitely worth it as it takes you off the beaten path of the usual tours. Also the BPT staff will inform you on how to navigate the touristy parts of Paris to make your experience easier and enjoyable. This is a must for your check list. Word of advice. READ HER CONFIRMATION EMAIL and follow the directions that apply to you. You will be pleased that you did. Thank you Ricki Stevenson.

1  Thank OnTheGoLuvinEuro
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a tour that truly highlights the contributions made by people of color to the French government, culture, arts and economy. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and knowledge I gained from Ricki Stephenson on this unique tour. As a Travel Agent with C&G GLOBAL CONNECTIONS TRAVEL, I will recommend this tour to my clients.

The only aspect of the tour that I feel is somewhat challenging, especially for older travelers, is the amount of walking that is needed to complete the tour. However, Ricki Stevenson does let tourists know in advance that it is a walking tour so make sure you are ready for a lot of walking before joining the tour.

3  Thank Patraislar