“The Northern and Eastern parts are the real Paris, the old Paris, the strange Paris....”
Review of Opera district

and up
Treasures of the Opera Garnier Tour in Paris
Ranked #147 of 1,265 things to do in Paris
Reviewed 6 January 2014

If you start going north-east from the center of the map on this page, you'll find yourself in the Sentier area. There you will find the wholesale garment district of Paris (though most of the designer and other shops have hand-written signs saying "No Retail"), streets sprinkled with the weirdest and most hideous-looking prostitutes in the Universe, and some good strictly kosher restauarants run by families and aimed at the local workers.

Keep going north, maybe a little north-west now, you will pass or go through Galeries Lafayette (lovely things to buy, and don't forget to look at the building itself, especially the interior of the dome), and will reach what the locals call the "Faubourg Montmartre" area, home to smaller streets whose planning (or lack thereof) is still reminiscent of pre-Haussmann to Belle Epoque Paris, including that whoich holds the Folies Bergere. Here, too, is a conveniently (for us) Jewish neighborhood, not gentrified and not as self-conscious as the Pletzl, and maybe better for grocery stores and synagogues for every taste than for restaurants.

1  Thank Monobasis

Reviewed 4 January 2014

And at Christmas time a wonderful place just to wander and see the lights. You will eventually reach the major stores where the lights are a major highlight of a December trip to Paris.

2  Thank HiddenCaviar
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The higher brow area. Lovely to walk about in, people watch and do a bit of banking. Sit and have one of those little black coffees. Chase Manhattan bank has a branch there. If you look, you can also find the American Express office. You are just a block away from Galeries Lafayette. It is safe to stroll around if you keep your wits about you. I was approached with several attempts at pick pocketing, and other scams. The pick pockets start with a couple of different ways. One is a swarm of children, who thrust paper in your face, temporarily blinding you while the others thrust their hands in your pockets. Another is to approach as if asking directions or if you speak German, English, or what ever. The more interesting one is the "Gold Ring in the Palm". I'm not sure how that works but the best defense is get as far away as fast as possible when a stranger shows you this.

1  Thank ChrisDCarlson
Reviewed 10 October 2013

When I head to the Opera, I encountered three girls who usually commit pickpocketing while request false petition. Luckily I warded it off, but one of them spit on me. She has a rather dark skin and long hair:her role is ask for a sign having a paper. Pay Attention to them !

3  Thank yoshirinyoshi
Reviewed 9 September 2013

If you are shopping in Paris be sure to ask about the exchange and return policy. I was recently in Paris and purchased a rather expensive purse from one of the stores near Palais Royal. I had visit this store on several occasions in the past. I decided before my return that it would not suit my needs. I inquired about returning it. The consensus was yes, I could for a refund. The following day all of the staff suddenly did not speak English and did not know what I was talking about (except for one lovely girl who was very helpful and knew the scam that was unfolding). I threatned to call my Lawyer, Police, Security, anyone just to get my refund. After much ado and eventually being banned from shopping there ever again, I was given my refund. It was very upsetting and unsettling. Buyer beware. Some stores are no refund, no exchange, even on full price items. This store carries some expensive purses so be sure before you purchase.

3  Thank ilvlaw