“Interesting”

Neighbourhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Saronno, Italy
“Interesting”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We ate here for lunch on our last day, so we had outer suitcases with us. We were the first to enter. Outside you could read the various menus, one of which was €10, once inside that disappeared and you got to chose for €15 or €22. The bathroom is upstairs, so definately not wheel chair friendly. Unfortunately there was no toilet water and the tap was dry, not a good first impression. Entree was ok,we then waited 40 mins for main course, could that have been because my husband ordered boeuf borgongon? My filet mignon, was burnt on the underside, and dry as a bone. I had not been asked how I liked my meat and this was over cooked to say the least. Quaint restaurant, bad service, food is edible but nothing to write home about

• Visited March 2013

• Hebrew first
Castro-Urdiales, Cantabria, Spain
“Could be dangerous for your health”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I went into this restaurant with my partner lured by the 10€ menu and the charms of the old man, but as soon as we were inside, what promised to be a cheep and cheerful meal turned out to be one of my worst restaurant nightmares. To start, once at the table, the 10€ menu was nowhere to be seen. Seemed the waiter noticed our puzzled expresions, as he approched us after a short while with the menu, trying to discourage us from taking. When we insisted on the cheaper meals, the already cold service turned freezing. The meals were pretty much thrown at us, and at one point the waiter burped loudly when walking past my girlfriend, and when asked for a spoon to eat our starter (onion soup), the waiter huffed and puffed and made us wait a good 10 minutes, by which point the soup was cold. The same attitude followed through the main course, and they even seemed too bothered to ask us about dessert, but the worst was still to come.

WHEN EATING OUR DESERTS, I FOUND SHARDS OF GLASS!!! When i told the waiter, he ripped the plate out of my hand without any word, and stormed off. he reappeared with another serving of the sweet, making me hand over all the shards i´d already found. Since my girlfriend speaks fluent french, she questioned him as to what he was going to do about it, as it is clearly very dangerous to swallow glass. He simply dismissed our worries and left us. After eating the new portion carefully looking for any more of the extra ingredients, we waited for our bill desperate to leave.

We did not expect to have to pay for my meal, given the circumstances, but the waiter, obviously expecting us to just do a runner, summoned some of the other staff to stand guard at the door while he brought our bill. After putting te bill down, he said that as a gesture of "goodwill" he would discount a bottle of water from the price (surprise, surprise, the cheapest item), and then took his position with the rest of the staff blocking our exit until we paid up. In the end, containing our fury, we decided to do what we considered fair: we paid for both drinks and 1 menu, discounting the one containing the glass, and swiftly made our way away from the place. Luckily, as they moved in to check the money left, we had the chance to escape.

Icing on the cake THE NEXT DAY WE BOTH HAD UPSET STOMACHS. Luckily for me, it was more to do with the quality of the food, and not with any glass shards.

AVOID AT ALL COST. There are much better places in this area for the same price

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Gabriel B
Dunedin, Florida
“Good Food, but not family friendly”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and I ate here one evening. I liked the fixed price menus for 10, 15, and 22 Euros. The onion pie with greens and onion soup were both good starters. The beef stew was very good as a main dish, while the lamb chops were a little grisly. The caramel flan and the chocolate cake with cream were both very good dessert choices.

While we were there a family with two small children came in and the owner refused to serve them. He claimed they would not find anything they liked on the menu. Also note that the toilet in the bathroom has no toilet seat.

Overall, we got a decent meal at a good price. The restaurant is about 5 blocks from Notre Dame.

• Visited September 2012
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
“Nice restaurant with decent french meals /average price / unpretentious interior”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Well! Dreaming about French cuisine for a long time after our last visit we finally got a chance to taste it again! Previously we tried almost all specific French dishes (snails, duck, casoulle, crème brûlée, etc ), except oysters and frogs! So we promised ourselves to complete our mission and we made it!
After having a really long and nice day in search of new adventures and unseen sights, we ended up standing in the Latin Quarter not far from Notre-Dame-de –Paris. This quarter is full of tiny restaurants and is packed with tourists and local people as well (especially students). We hesitantly walked from one door to another trying to find appealing and not expensive menu and comfortable place to settle up for the next 2 hours. We chose a very nice place called “L’auperge du Moulin”. Met by a friendly waiter, we took a table for two persons. The menu was quite diverse with all specific French dishes (all dish with English descriptions) but we decided to take one of the suggested menu options, which comprised of starter, main course, dessert and cost 22 euro.
While we waited our dishes being cooked, waiter brought us a basket with bread and a bottle of wine Fontbreuil Bourdoux we had ordered which was good enough.
In 10 min we got our starters. My husband was lucky enough to get frogs in tomato sauce and I got oysters. Although my oysters looked quit edible, I could not eat them at all, could not even swallow a bit of its strange and slippery flesh, which, fortunately, my husband found very tasty and kindly agreed to exchange our dishes! Surprisingly, frogs were extremely delicious and reminded me chicken meet. Absolutely appropriate tomato sauce was chosen just right!
For the main course I ordered Fondue. I should admit cheese combination (3 kinds) was perfectly good with bagette peaces and boiled potato.
Waiter didn’t make us wait him and as soon as we finished our main course, he brought us desserts, which I was especially looking forward to, as I have never tried desserts better than in Paris! I got my crème brûlée and was absolutely satisfied as it was even better than I had last time. It had delicate taste which I still feel on my tongue!
The total cost for this meal was 70 euro: 2 menu options for 22 euro, a bottle of wine for 22 euro and a bottle of water.

• Visited March 2012
toronto
“traditional meal and great spot for fondue”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Our last night we found ourselves charmed into this tiny restaurant by the owner who was standing on the street reeling people into his establishment. It was not all that busy and they were friendly enough to give the two of us a four person table so we could seat the baby as well. The tables were very close to each other and we were right by the kitchen. It was cramped and I was touching the wine rack behind me, and I was afraid I would knock something off! It was a cozy ambiance with dim lighting

Great traditional meal with many fondue options. We had a shrimp cocktail salad for starters, three cheese fondue (with bread and potato for dipping) and beef Bourguignon for the entrée and cheese for dessert. We did find it odd that the dessert cheese was served with salad. Overall the meal was good and if we were craving fondue we'd definitely go back there. The antipasto meat fondue looked quite delicious at the table next to us.

Stay away from the house wine, it's the only bad experience we had with wine in France.

• Visited January 2012