“Up to expectations - a modest and quiet place, perfect location”

Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge
Ranked #1,107 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
The Hague
“Up to expectations - a modest and quiet place, perfect location”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Although the hotel may appear to be in need of some LTC, everything is functional and clean. The room size is standard for the Parisian standards. It´s located in a very quiet, residental street, just steps from the vibrating life of Le Marais. Definitely worth the money. Breakfast is probably an affair to skip - as did we- as there´s plenty of nice places around to enoy a cup of coffee and a croissant out in fresh air rather than in a basement.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Contrary to most of the reviews I've seen on here I found the Hotel Saintonge to be a perfect place to spend my two days in Paris. The gentleman on the desk was charming at all times, our room was compact but clean and modern and had a fridge and a safe to keep valuables. The bathroom was recently re-tiled, well stocked with towels and soaps, a hairdryer and the room was cleaned properly...what more can I say? I was very worried because I read the reviews on here after Id booked, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised. The room cost about 115 euros a night and there are few hotels in paris in a good area for that money. I suspect the people on here who gave the hotel bad reviews are expecting 5 stars for a hundred euros but you have to be realistic. I will certainly go back again one day soon. If anything this experience has taught me to take hotel reviews with a pinch of salt.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank g_b_hart
falmoth
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My wife and I spent seven nights and eight days at Hotel Saintonge, and enjoyed every minute of it. To be sure the room was small - but not tight, and certainly not as small as some I have seen- but it was easy to get around the bed and nothing unusual or out-of-the-orginary for an old building in Europe. The bathroom was recently retiled throughout, fully functional - with NO Plumbing PROBLEMS of any sort - and always spotless! The decor of the room was plain, but hardly unattractive. Our room was thoroughly serviced every morning - the bed made, the room cleaned (except for a couple of dust bunnies that I discovered behind the desk when I had to move it out to reach something that had fallen on the floor) and the bathroom scrubbed spotless until it shone. The location of the hotel on a very narrow street in the Marais district was also fantastic, and a short and delightful walk to the Seine along a great street lined with many great shops. Finally, Saintonge Street was extremely - and I stress extremely - quiet with the exception of one or two cars passing by each night, a short-lived and rather calm party at a business establishment across the street, and the footsteps of passing pedestrians which as a rule was the onluy thing we heard. Finally, the staff was great. Was it the Ritz? Or a Howard Johnson? Of course not. That is not what we were looking for and it is not what we expected. And while there is always some room for improvement - like really dressing up the rooms - I still give the hotel at least four stars. GM and NTM, Cape Cod, MA
P.S. We have some perspective as we have stayed in many hotels in all parts of the world.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gwmallett
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 20 August 2010

My advice is to do not book your room at this hotel; the room are very small and dirty. Furthermore it seams that the credit card often doesn’t work!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MilanoRoma74

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Campbell, California
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Pictures don't tell the truth: We booked this hotel through France Hotel Guide Book online and were impressed with the pictures, but reality is much different. I should have read and believed the reviews. The room was not clean (litter under the bed which stayed there throughout our stay). Towel rack was broken, bathtub drain clogged, impossible to take a shower without wetting the whole bathroom. Breakfast not worth the 10 euros it costs. Noisy room. Only positive point was the location.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank npedrozo
London
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Receptionist asked if my wife was my wife and then made some sort of dirty weekend joke. Lift did not work. Could it go downhill from there. YES! spare the details but spent the next couple of hours finding an alternative. Ended one block from Hotel de Ville at Hotel de la Bretonnerie. Same price different class, even had a four poster bed. Based on our experience you can trust the reviews on this site. Even though we lost all the money paid on Santoigne it was worth coming to Bretonnerie.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank S_J_C_C
Greenwich Village, NYC
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We booked it. Hard at the time to find a reasonable place for three singles during this time frame. We checked again a month later, then noticed the awful reviews here.

We actually looked around a bit after reading them, but not too hard, then we concluded that it was the usual "a few people were unhappy and they left all the bad reviews" kind of thing. We convinced ourselves that it would be okay.

We checked in late at night. The front desk clerk was not helpful. He also told us the wifi was extra, even though we had spoken with a woman originally who said it was free. That was the least of it, though.

All three of our rooms were filthy. That carpets were ancient, mildewed and stained. The bathrooms were also filthy and there was black mold in all the grout. The beds were actually filthy, too, and there was dirt on the sheets. Not a little dirt, either. Hair, as well. This was not just in one room, but all three.

The rooms were horribly hot, and this is in October. No windows, except on an interior airshaft at the bottom of which were a few people chain smoking and talking loudly. The loud talking from the lobby was audible, as well.

When we complained in the morning and then said that wanted to leave, the front desk person was incredibly rude and threatening.

We got out of there.

PLEASE DON'T DO WHAT WE DID. Do not disregard the great weight of the majority of commenters here. This is a terrible, filthy, depressing place. I kid you not. I hope that someone reads this and avoids the place because of it. Then I will have done some good.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business