“Nice enough but wont be back”

Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome
Ranked #55 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Jerusalem, Israel
“Nice enough but wont be back”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Well, it is in a very good location in Paris and you expect it to be expensive but the standard of the room was in no way worth the rate charged. Park Hyatt is my favorite brand and i am beginning to discover that there are wild differences in the standards and the service, this is definitely the worst Park Hyatt i have stayed at.

The pros:
Good Location, clean and modern hotel with comfortable bed and nice bathroom even though the standard queen room is tiny by Park Hyatt standards. Breakfast was nice and staff were polite enough although very fake and snotty in the old Parisian way which tends to lose it charm after a while. Check in was smooth and very efficient.

The cons:
The room was old, worn out and in desperate need of renovation, the carpets were worn out and dirty and in need of a serious change (not Park Hyatt standard at all)
There were almost no power outlets in the room and none near the working area which seems a bit weird for anyone wishing to work.
The internet service was a DISASTER and kept dying on me ALL the time, it seems that this is a long running issue at this hotel, luckily as a Platinum member i did not have to pay for it otherwise it was 19 euros a day which is a rip off, everything else at the hotel is outrageously priced, i had to pay 130 euros for breakfast for two???
It also seems that unless you are a Gulf Sheik or a Russian or Chinese oligarch, then you are treated by the staff more as part of the decor than anything else, they simply have NO time for you, i was constantly stopped on the way in or out and asked if i had a reservation (and this is to sit in the lobby for Gods sake!) . All the common areas (restaurants and bars also) attract affluent Parisian clients that simply take over the place for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the week particularly and the hotel clients are totally marginalized because of this. I had to argue with one lady only because a colleague and i wished to sit in the lobby for a short business meeting and there were no places to sit, since all the table were set up for lunch for the external clients. This is really a serious issue that management needs to reconsider since the usual practice is for the hotel guests to have priority and not the other way around.

The moral of the story is that for $800 a night (not including anything) you can find much better in Paris, i will definitely NEVER go back to this hotel, and very luckily a new Mandarin Oriental has just opened close by. BYE BYE Park Hyatt Vendome.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank ahmadsameh
PHPV, Directeur général at Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to send your comments further to your recent stay at Park Hyatt Paris- Vendôme.

I was very sorry to learn that we didn't meet your expectations regarding your overall stay. Allow me to sincerely apologize and I assure you that all your comments have been brought up to the designated departments to follow-up and to avoid such incident to re-occur. Should you have any comments which you would like to share, please do not hesitate to contact us. This will definitely assist us in achieving the high standards of service we are aiming.

Dear Guest, I sincerely hope that these inconveniences will not affect the trust you have shown towards Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme, and urge you please not to hesitate to contact my office or our Guest Relations Manager, Ms Melanie Salas on melanie.salas@hyatt.com would your travels bring you back to Paris in a not too distant future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Sincerely yours,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was my second stay here, and it was very nice. First, the location is just excellent. About two blocks form the Palais Garnier - Opera, which is convenient for using the Air France bus to and from CDG (cost 10 Euros). Lots of luxury jewelry stores and other shops along Rue de la Paix, incuding the Ritz hotel. I went for a late night stroll both nights (weather in late February was surprisingly nice, a little brisk but not cold). The Place de la Concorde is a few blocks south west, and I got to see the Eiffel Tower twinkling through a slight layer of fog.

Back to the hotel - I am a Diamond member with Hyatt, and I was upgraded from a junior suite to an executive suite, which was really nice - basically two adjoining rooms, with a living room area on one side and a bedroom area on the other side. And two full bathrooms. Also, received a nice bottle of Bordeaux and a small box of 4 chocolates;aas a welcome amenity. Internet was free for Diamons members, but is 19 euros per day otherwise.

Had breakfast both mornings. Had the American breakfast / buffet in Les Orchidess one morning and had breakfast in my room on the second morning. Breakfast was complimentary as Diamond, but otherwise is 48 euros.

The room was a little too warm for me, and even with the heat turned off, I slept with the windows open both nights. My room opened to a couryard below, so no street noise at all.

The bathrooms are really nice - all marble, with a decent sized tub and a separate shower area. Actually the shower and a vanity is behind a glass door and both are adjacent to the tub - basically a wet area. Very nice thick towels and nice size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. Towel warmer was a nice touch. Robes, slippers provided. Also an umbrella was available, but fortunately I didn't need it during my stay.

Mini bar has a nice variety of drinks and a small number of food items, and is very expensive - 12 euros for a coke or a beer (33 cL), 6 euros for a small can of pringles or a regular size container of TicTacs, 12 euros for a small container of nuts or candies.

There is a lot of staff at this hotel, and all are very friendly and professional. Everyone speaks perfect English and even understands my high school level French!

Had dinner at the restaurant Pur on my second night. Had the 5 course menu with wine. Delicious food and great service.

Communicated with the concierge prior to arrival to secure reservations at Pur as well as other reservations elsewhere in the city. All requests were handled promptly and efficiently, and with a friendly sense of humor.

All in all, a great hotel in a great city. And pricey but first class.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Tanq K
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and comments. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and you appreciated the service of our staff.

Needless to say that a follow up of your comments has been done with the departments concerned and should you have any additional comments which you would like to share, please do not hesitate to contact us. This will definitely assist us in achieving the high standards of service we are aiming.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

My warmest regards,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a too-brief recent trip to Paris and was very impressed both by the service and by the hotel itself. A newish establishment, situated on Place Vendome, it is both clean and spacious. Arriving early in the morning (around 10am) we were nonetheless able to check-in to our room and checked out only after 3pm on the day of departure. The staff were friendly and relaxed.

The rooms are modern in design and large, the beds huge - far beyond King-size. Our room had a small balcony looking onto the street and Paris on a cold but bright morning is best viewed with a glass of champagne in hand from ones hotel balcony. An auspicious start to our stay.

The hotel doesn't have a pool, which slightly disappointed my companion, but the positive vibe at the hotel more than made up for this.

Breakfast was wonderful (an adjective I very rarely use in reviews of hotel restaurants), with the Eggs Benedict scoring high for us both. A refreshing point was also that the breakfast restaurant wasn't overfull, which is sometimes the case with city centre 5-star hotels. The only slight qualm came at the end when presented with a bill for 102 euros for our breakfast for two. Surely some mistake? Apparently not.

This notwithstanding, it was an excellent experience overall. I will definitely repeat the experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Glengarry3007
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having shared your comments on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you liked your stay at the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme!

As far as the breakfast price is concerned, surely the breakfasts in five star hotels are expensive but we would like to assure you that the rate is on line, if not even less expensive then the price of breakfasts offered in the top hotels in the main destinations worldwide.

Looking forward to welcoming you back, I send you my warmest regards.

Arlington, VA
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Park Hyatt in Paris. The location was fantastic! The hotel is on a main street, but is surprisingly quiet inside-- once you're inside, it's quite serene. Our room looked out on the Rue de la Paix, and you could open the windows and look down into the Place Vendome. The room was fairly spacious, and quite well equipped. The decor was striking- not just our room, but all the public areas as well. Luxurious down quilt on the bed kept us too warm, and we had to open the window--in February! A shortcoming was that there weren't enough electric outlets to charge up all of our electronics at one time. And the hotel charges guests for use of WiFi- that was a surprise. The staff that we encountered were all very warm and friendly. The staff at the registration desk and the concierge desk were very helpful. If you can afford this hotel, you should give it a try.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to request a room facing the Rue de la Paix. You'll get a great view, and w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure to welcome you to the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme and I was most pleased to learn that your stay met your expectations.

Your kind words and compliments were immediately shared with our staff who were very grateful to receive them.

I was, however, very sorry to learn the inconvenience encountered with the fact that there was not enough electrical outlets in the room. For your next stay, please do not hesitate to advise us of your needs and we will make sure that an extension strip will be displayed upon your arrival.

I would like to thank you for having shared your experience and comments with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Denver
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I had written a long detailed review but unfortunately my delete button stuck and it was completely erased. I'll go over the highlights and lowlights of my experience.

This hotel exudes opulence and you can tell it from the moment you walk in through to the bathroom scales in the rooms.

I was travelling on an award stay and even though I was lost revenue to them at no point did I feel treated that way. I was welcome, given early check-in, and even provided a welcome gift for being a HGP Platinum (not a listed benefit of Platinum). The rooms and bathrooms and ridiculous, but in a good way.

The only two things I disliked about my stay were that it was not longer. The other complaint is that it took three calls and thirty minutes to get a US to European power adapter sent up. I normally travel with them but as I had not originally planned to go to Europe on this trip I didn't have one in my bag.

I didn't spend much time in the room since I wanted to use my day and a half in Paris to sit in the Tullieres Garden and read, enjoy some Berthillon, and just take in the city where I lived for a year as a child. I loved my time in Paris and at this hotel and around Paris but luckily for me, Berlin was even better.

If you can afford it I see no reason not to stay at the the Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome, really a great place in a great location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank TheFielding
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community.

I was, however, very sorry to learn about the inconvenience encountered with the time of delivery of the adapter . Allow me to sincerely apologize and assure you that your comments have been brought up to the department concerned to follow-up and to avoid such inconvenience to-reoccur.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back at Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme

My warmest regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed here last May while visiting Paris over the weekend. The hotel is just a few minutes walk from the Place Vendome and the Paris Opera House. We took the metro at the Paris Opera stop. The hotel is lovely, elegant, and quiet. The rooms are beautiful; I was enamored with the Rodin-esque sculptures on the light fixtures and door handles. The staff was warm, welcoming, and helpful. We had difficulty getting a taxi to dinner one evening, so we took the metro around the city during the rest of our stay. We are returning to Paris for our honeymoon and are looking forward to staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It makes us so happy to receive such positive feedback and we really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon for your honeymoon!

Please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Manager, Ms. Melanie Salas on melanie.salas@hyatt.com or myself for any assistance you may need.

My warmest regard,

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have stayed there for business purposes for 2 nights. The hotel is wonderful located between Opera and Place Vendome, the most prestigious square in Paris. Service was very attentive throughout the whole stay, no service member that didn't greet me. I used the Bar where the service was a bit slow, although it was not particularly full, but friendly and competent. The decoration throughout the hotel and rooms is contemporary. The rooms are very spacious but the bathroom is quite strange with a bathtub in midway between shower and the rest of the bathroom. There is also a mirror and a small sink IN the shower which gives a strange feeling. All in all the rooms are nice but not very practical as I couldn't find any plugs near my bed or elsewhere in the room besides the closet. My Laptop which is not the largest (15") didn't fit in the safe neither. The breakfast buffet is colourful and gives a good choice, it is definitely worth to pay the 5 EUR difference between continental breakfast and buffet. A good hotel to stay athough you'll find other hotels that have more soul and more attention to detail in Paris.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Christian1616
PHPV, Directeur général at Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme.

All your comments, both positive and negative, are very much appreciated and very important for us because they help us to focus on our areas of improvement.

We are very pleased that you liked our hotel and the location but especially that you appreciated the assistance of our staff,

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Sincerely yours,