“Coffee in Paris”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Montmartre
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We love our coffee and would recommend La Bal Cafe as delivering a great product - as good as we get at home in Melbourne, Australia. Le Bal is tucked away in a little side street but is well worth the effort to get there.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Le Bal Cafe was pretty hip when we have visited Paris. I would not call it a restaurant, it is a cafe bar. We have been to lunch there and it was delicious. The people running the place where really engaging and nice. I can not comment how the place looks in the evening but we liked the dishes and the menu.
What was for me surprising was that they have also some dishes that kids may like...

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Four of us went to dinner and thoroughly enjoyed the small menu with its distinct options. Two of our group were huge fans of the skate wing and while my pintade was good, not great, the starters -- especially my beetroot salad were excellent. Our three desserts were excellent-- the lemon pot de creme was superb, the cheesecake the best I've had and the chocolate -- again -- great but paled in comparison to the others.

I liked the fact that the restaurant itself was quite small and the service personal and helpful. I can imagine that on a weekend for brunch it might be different story as brunch is the new trendy (and very very expensive) option in Paris these days, especially amongst the Bobos.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

If you look up specialty coffee in Paris, you are bound to find blogs and reviewers touting that Le Bal is a must go in Paris. They could not be more wrong. As mentioned by another reviewer, Paris is a foodie heaven. So what's the fuss over Le Bal? It's the hipster atmosphere: minimalist interior design, London roasted coffee, and coffee table book store/'art space' in front. I waited for a table for myself for 15 minutes, while the waitress sat at least 3 or 4 tables for two. They were waiting for the bar to become vacant to sit me there. All the while, there were at least 3 seats vacant, but I can assume I wasn't seated there as it would be a minor inconvenience to the waitress, who got upset with two children sitting there. After reminding them that I was still waiting, I was seated at the end of the bar and served a Has Bean espresso. The espresso was miles better than the typical Parisian cafe, but having searched the city already for good coffee, I can attest to the fact that it is not worth traveling to Le Bal for the coffee. Go to Black Market or Telescope, not here. The waitress came by, seeming impatient that I hadn't made up my mind in the two minutes that I had been seated, and I asked her about one of the dishes. She explained it to me and I said okay. She walked off and another waitress soon came over to ask me what I wanted. I was keen on asking a little bit more about the over-priced menu, labelling a smoked salmon sandwich for 15 euros and a plate with eggs, bacon, tomato and toast for 9 euros, with the option to supplement veal sausage for 3. The waitress explained that she enjoyed the meat pie. All of a sudden, the original waitress who I had asked to explain another dish was there telling me that I had already ordered a blue cheese and eggs dish, wish I can assure that I did not. After having to explain to her three times that I did not order the blue cheese and eggs, she went pouting off into the kitchen to cancel the order that she had made. Soon after my meat-pie that I had actually ordered myself arrived. It looked beautiful, with a nice puff pastry style dough covering the meat filling. However, as another reviewer described, the portions are very small for the price. As I broke the crust and dove into the meat-pie, my forked grabbed an unusually large piece of meat. I was incredulous because it looked so god-damn delicious. After putting it into my mouth, I realized it was more of a poison apple. It was laden with fat and gristle. I pulled out three large pieces (the majority of the meat) of the same make. I was disgusted with the plate by then and did not proceed to finish the very average salad. The whole while, the barista sneered at me over the earlier interaction with the waitress. The waitress who was actually attentive enough to wait for me to place an order came over and apologized for her coworker, saying that it was a busy time. I told her that I worked as a barista, a server and a cook, and I would never think to treat any customer like that EVER. I told her about my pie and they later took it away, half finished. I went to pay and was given a bill for the full price of the pie and coffee. My advice is to stay away from this culture-trap. The only good thing I can say is that I was allowed to use their wifi, on which I wrote this review.

7  Thank anomictraveller
Reviewed 23 March 2013

With all the great restaurants in Paris, why come here? It's not good and extremely expensive. A glass of red wine, an entree for 2, a main dish and desert for 2 for approx 40 euros per person? I don't get it. Didn't try the brunch or tea-time but dinner was awful. Any plain bistro in town has better dishes than this place. Sure, waiters are nice. So what? Try out "Le Virage" on rue Lepic, just 10min walk away. Now that is food which comes from a kitchen where it's actually being cooked. And you can see the cook do it from A to Z.
Sorry, but I won't give it a second try.

1  Thank worldy10