“Worst stay ever! Avoid at all costs!”
Review of Hotel Le Squara

Hotel Le Squara
Ranked #908 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I read the first several reviews, looked at the pictures and thought this should be a charming hotel in Montmarte. WRONG. First it is not in Montmarte but a very seedy area of Paris , according to cab driver. Sandwiched between 2 cheap souvenir shops reminiscent of the jersey shore you can barely find the entrance. This place is dollhouse tiny. As my nice cab driver dropped me off I immediately felt ill at ease in the area where seemingly several drunks and homeless people abound. It was also a very dirty smokey area of Paris.
A day previous to arrival I had called the hotel and asked for early check in which I was told they would accommodate for an extra 80e. Although a bit steep I didn't want to walk around for 6 hours till 2pm check in. I also asked for airport transfers and was quoted 75e one way. I opted for a cab 50e! When I finally arrived at the front desk the beginning of the horror began. Manning the front desk are the owner Manuela Le Squara and her son Jean Cristophe. I found out from trip adviser. The owner was the rudest nastiest person I ever encountered in France and this was my 6th trip there. I tried speaking to her in French and she retorted that she spoke English. She immediately told me I could not have early check in nothing was available. When I told her I had called previously from the states she dismissed my claim. Not wanting to start an argument I left my bag and roamed the streets.
When I returned my bag was already in my room. While at the front desk to finally check in she wanted to charge me the full stay. I told her I probably would only be staying 2 days because I was traveling solo and did not feel safe in the area. She started another argument and demanded I pay for the total stay upfront. Now legally and I checked this out, they can only charge u one extra day that u stay if u check out early. She also repeatedly charged my credit card different amounts even though I had enough available on my card to stay a month. She said she does this because she has problems with American credit cards! Go figure? After charging 4 different amounts the card company suspected fraud and closed the card and would not let any more transactions thru. I was livid.
Now let me also add I took this trip solo for rest and relaxation after taking care of my 2 very ill parents for 4 years who recently died. After dealing with this hotel ordeal I was ready for the grave! For the next 3 days whether it was due to stress and /or the terrible initial confrontation from the owner I was so ill I couldn't leave the hotel for 3 days and when I was able I came home to the states.
When booking. com tried to resolve the issue the owner said she didn't speak English. When booking asked who she was she said the receptionist. When booking asked for the manager or owner she said they were not available. Booking.com told me they had problems before with her.
The night before I checked out I called down to the front desk that I was leaving in the morning and to prepare the bill I was coming down to pay. I spoke to the son. Twenty minutes later I went down and a part time front desk worker was on.....a very nice person and one of only two other workers at the hotel! The bill was for three nights the total number of nights I stayed. I was pleasantly suprised until I got home and found they had charged 3 extra nights! Deceitful ....sly. ...and slick! Not only will I never return to this hotel I will never return to Paris which has always been my favorite place in the world. A few more facts about the hotel.....it really is more like a bed and breakfast. The breakfast definitely skip. The breakfast is inadequate for the price and the breakfast room is smaller than the regular hotel rooms. The NOISE...another disaster. I asked for a quiet room. Well there are none. Motorcycles screeching, people laughing yelling all night. There was also a smell to the room that was weird and may have contributed to my illness. I don't know but it was not pleasant. Also all the lights in the room are controlled by a card at the room entrance. So if u r with someone and have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night u may wake them in addition to stubbing your toe.
I rarely rarely write reviews but if I could help someone not waste any money, I'm glad to help.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank sophialaurenPhila_Pa

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This has a doorway you could almost miss form the street and it is pretty much behind the Moulin Rouge, but what a pleasant surprise.
This was an emergency trip and so I wanted a 5 star hotel on a budget. La Squara is 4 and a half.I arrived with an urgent appointment, and had to leave my bags and run out the door. the receptionist( in the teeny, tiny lobby) let me use the restroom to change as my room wasn't going to be available until the afternoon.When I arrived back, they had upgraded me to a lovely large and luxurious room, to make up for all the stressI was under!!
If you walk up the street to Rue Des Abesses, Montmartre changes dramatically from the street scene where the Moulin Rouge is. Lovely shops and restaurants, cute bistros of varying cuisine. It was quite the pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Recently stayed at this little hotel. It is stylishly decorated and spotlessly clean. We had a deluxe bedroom facing the 'courtyard' which was perfectly quiet in the evening. The room was small - great for just a few days. The breakfast was alright - but probably like many in similar establishments. Far better to go up the road to Pain de Quotdien which serves all manner of delicious options. Dinner possibilities are aplenty. We were recommended two by the hotel: La Mascotte - which was a very good fish restaurant; and Chez Toinette - which was examplary - beautifully presented and delicious French food - and the service from the owner was outstanding - and well priced to boot!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jenny1794
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you want five star treatment for four-star prices you must visit Hotel le Squara. Elegance is the word that comes to mind. The hotel and rooms are decorated very elegantly, with the owner/operator Manuela Squara being the epitome of elegance and hospitality. The attention you receive from Manuela, her son Jean-Christophe, and staff falls within the realm of personal assistant. They have taken care of all my needs: making reservations at all the museums and attractions, assisting me with excursions and even hailing a taxi. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day. The hotel is located in the Montmartre area of Paris and is just around the corner from Moulin Rouge, which adds to the charm. The neighborhood is filled with cafes, restaurants, bistros, and pubs that offer French, as well as many other international food choices. The metro station (Metro 2) is only steps away. The taxi area is a few meters past. I plan to stay here on my next and subsequent visits to Paris, and highly recommend Hotel le Squara to others.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the proper size to accommodate your family's needs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly located in a nice neighborhood with close nearby typically local restaurants where the French local people go. A night out in this part of town is recommended.

The rooms are very nicely decorated, clean but small. That doesn't matter for a city trip. After a long day of site seeing, you can take a nice long shower. It has a rain shower head. The bed wasn't king size but very comfortable.

The French breakfast was good and we couldn't wish for more.

A public car park is located nearby on walking distance. The staff was very nice and helpful. Ask them for the local specialties.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dlanor80
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and we once again weren't disappointed. Situated around the Corner from the Moulin Rouge and walking distance to Sacre Coeur this hotel is one of Paris,s hidden gems. If you like small intimate boutique hotels with staff who go out of their way to make your stay something special then this is the hotel for you. Rooms are small but the decor and ambiance is warm! romantic and superbly done. The whole hotel is immaculate from top to bottom, if you want a taste of a real Paris hotel with staff who just can't do enough then would highly recommend. We will booking again next time we return to Paris.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Baggie210
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel is nicely rennovated in a modern and original style. It is surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the Moulin Rouge district and a very short walk from some great quality bistros and cafes on Rue Abbesses. Despite that the rooms are very quiet even with the windows open at night. I will definitely back next time i'm in Paris.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple