“Budget Hotel - Don't feel to safe”

Hotel Brady Gare de L'Est
Ranked #905 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Kettering, Ohio
“Budget Hotel - Don't feel to safe”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a budget hotel near gare de l'est. The gare is around a 10 minute walk. The nearest metro is around a 5 minute walk. This is one of the hotels where you need to ring the doorbell and be buzzed in. This area is very busy during the days. A lot of middle eastern and african cuisine nearbly. The hotel is kind of weird shape. It is thin and long. So you need to keep on walking back and going through hall doors to get to your room. The room was clean. Though the previous occupants trash was still in my room when I checked in. The room was not as comfortable as the Lamarck Comfort Inn. The hotel is actually pretty centrally located. You can walk to quite a few place in central paris if you are a walker. This place however doesn't seem to safe. You are right next to all prostitiutes in a parallel street. They come out pretty early. I still saw everyday people walk those streets at night, but it didn't seem too safe. This area seems to be good during the day. Not so good at night. I think breakfast was pricy at 12 Euros. You can reserve an airport shuttle at the desk for 28 Euros. It isn't a bad price, but you can get for cheaper on the internet. If you don't have a reason to be near the gare de l'est. I would stay at another location like the Lamarck location. I stayed hear because I used my choice rewards point. This hotel needed the least amount of point. The day desk person wasn't too helpful or friendly, but the night person was. No Ice Machine or refridgerator, but the desk will chill your bottle in their fridge. There was no air conditioning. The window opened into a central quad area. However, people can look into your rooms if you don't close your drapes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank waterdance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sodertalje, Sweden
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Rooms were clean and comfortable but not very big. Close to the metro so it was easy to get around. Not the best location but a good value. Staff was friendly and helpful providing maps and answering questions.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Firstly, the hotel in itself is fantastic. It has been recently renovated and everything is pretty much sparkling new and clean - from the taps to the flooring. It is nice, new and pristine. The staff are incredibly friendly and more than willing to help you with anything.

Location however, while it is rather central and close to two Metro stations, is horrible. My mom and I arrived at about 8pm and had to walk down Boulevard de Strasbourg (the street it is on) to looking for the hotel. It was so, ridiculously scary. It was a predominantly African area - nothing wrong with that if it didn't include plenty of racist remarks, rowdy gangs, men and women speaking to each other as if they were about to pull each others' hairs off and drunken people. Upon arrival, albeit the fantastic rooms and service, my mom and I frantically looked for a new hotel to stay in. We were so terrified (coming from someone who has lived all her life in a third world country in an unsafe neighborhood), we even skipped dinner. We literally found ourselves running in and out of the hotel to avoid time spent on that street.

An absolute shame as it really was a lovely hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Emily M
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Good property, with decent renovated and clean rooms. Simply good comparing the price and the quality. Rooms are a bit small but newly renovated, breakfast is quite ok. I would suggest not to read too many of the old reviews.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michel99
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I originally booked this hotel using Choice Privileges rewards points, because it was available at lower reward levels than many Choice properties in Paris, and it was also convenient to the Gare du Nord (and Gare de l'Est), which is what I was looking for. The rooms looked decent from the photos so I thought I would give it a try.

To be honest, I was not impressed as I walked through the neighborhood to the hotel from the Gare de l'Est, and I was even less impressed when I arrived at the front entrance. The hotel has a very non-descript entrance that is easy to miss if one isn't looking for it; once one enters, one has to pass through two additional doors and corridors to get to the lobby. The lobby itself was small and was being renovated, but the person at reception was pleasant and efficient - and I was on my way to my room fairly quickly.

The hotel itself has a somewhat strange configuration, with what appear to be multiple buildings connected by outside hallways ... my room was on the second floor, at the end of a long-ish hallway, and I had to pass through various doors, going outside and then back inside, to get to it. Still not too impressed...

... but the room itself was very comfortable, and while quite tiny (as is typical in many European hotels), it was spotlessly clean, with a large, comfortable bed, a spotless bathroom, a small but otherwise ample workspace, and an in-room controlled heater that pumped out as much heat as anyone could want. There were two electrical outlets by the work area - one was used by the desk lamp, but I could unplug that and then use one for my laptop and the other to charge my phone, and there was still ample light from the other lighting in the room. There is a small wall-mounted wardrobe adjacent to the bed and a small folding stand by the door for luggage. This was not a fancy room, so those looking for luxury might find themselves more comfortable elsewhere, but the room had everything that I needed for a comfortable stay.

Just a couple of things worth noting ...

-- There is no in-room coffee service or kettle. Coffee is available in the lobby, but it is not free. At most Comfort hotels I stay at, there's in room coffee, and that is true of the ones I stay at in London. This is my first time at a Choice property in Paris, and I don't know if not having coffee in the room is standard practice here, but I mention it for those who enjoy making a cuppa for themselves in the room. Next time I'll bring an immersion heater or a small hot pot.

-- Breakfast was not included in my award stay, which was the first time that I've encountered this at any of my stays at Comfort properties. It may be included in paid stays (the reception person seemed to imply that, but I didn't explicitly ask) but since I don't normally eat breakfast, this was a non-issue for me. But I mention it for the benefit of others who may be planning on using their Choice Privileges points for stays at this hotel.

-- The wireless internet is free, but its performance is variable. Sometimes it works great, and sometimes it is sluggish, and it may take a number of attempts to establish the connection, and then a little patience thereafter to get to a point where response time is acceptable. I use my laptop extensively while traveling, so this turned out to be somewhat of an annoyance - not enough to downgrade my rating of the hotel, but simply something to be aware of and worth pointing out to others who may be considering a stay here.

The neighborhood turned out to be quite OK. There is a good Sichuan Chinese restaurant diagonally across the street from the hotel, and if one walks south on boulevard de Strasbourg, one will find additional restaurants along the way to Sebastopol. There is also a Monoprix supermarket nearby and another at the corner of Sebastopol for those who like to pick up stuff to eat.

Finally, the hotel is just a few steps away from two Metro stations, which makes it easy to get around to just about anywhere in Paris from the hotel. And, as mentioned earlier, it's not a long walk (or Metro ride) to the Gare de l'Est and just a bit farther to the Gare du Nord where the Eurostar trains arrive and depart.

My "value" rating is based on the redemption level of Choice Privileges points and not based on the regular paid rate per night. The sign in the lobby shows room at over 100 euros/night, and while that may be market rate in Paris, it seems perhaps a wee bit high for what is on offer here. Discounted rates may be available at the brand website or through other booking channels.

I would stay here again on future visits to Paris.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank step12dude
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel is brilliant. The location is great, walking distance to the centre of town but also has a metro station 2 minute walk away if you'd prefer. The hotel itself is quite small, but very clean and tidy - it was also refurbished earlier this year. The price was very good too, though we chose to not pay for breakfast as we went out to local bakeries, so I can't comment on the food.

The staff were also great - really friendly. Their English was brilliant and they helped me learn a little more French grammar.

When I next visit Paris, I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tiffany S
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is close to the Gare de l'est in the african neighbourhood which means: plenty of foodstores, little cafes and worldrestaurants. All in all a very vivid neighbourhood where you won't be bothered unlike what some other reviewers pretend. I stayed in the hotel together with my 8-year old son and one thing is sure, he loved it. The personel was very helpful and friendly from the first till the last minute. Breakfast is abundant with more than enough choice (and that for a really cheap price compared to what other restaurants charge) and my son even got extra sweets. The rooms are cosy with everything you need. In short: this is for the hotel I'll use for my next visit in Paris. Oh, per year I stay at roughly 30 to 40 hotels. And this one definitally is recommended warmly to you.

Stayed November 2013