“I wish I could have stayed”

Nell Hotel & Suites (Residence Nell)
Ranked #1 of 155 Speciality Lodging in Paris
London
“I wish I could have stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Having read all the wonderful reviews here, I managed to justify the price on a recent business trip and booked with great excitement: especially as my offices in Paris are just around the corner. I booked via hotels.com and perhaps that was the mistake: when I arrived, I discovered I wasn't staying there - I'd been moved due to a "leak"... not to a hotel nearby, but to an average tourist hotel 15 minutes walk away. They claim to have contacted hotels.com to let me know, but I've heard nothing.

The receptionist was very apologetic, but I actually feel very ripped off. The hotel I'm now in is currently advertised at a much lower rate. Thanks Residence Nell for taking my money and sending to me a boudoir of tacky red velvet on the ground floor, next to the breakfast room. And you know what's even worse? Their sister hotel, the Hotel de Nell, has rooms available! Clearly, there was no leak, it's because someone else was paying them more for my room. I've heard of this happening in cheap hotels, but not in supposedly boutique properties.

I'm sure Residence Nell is a great place to stay; but sadly not my experience. I actually think they're a dishonest company.

Feel free to contact me, Residence Nell and discuss.

Room Tip: avoid like the plague if you don't book direct
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rrp20
NELL09, Directeur général at Nell Hotel & Suites (Residence Nell), responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Mr,

We apologize again for the change in your plans.

We do consider and respect all the comments which give all the personal and individual point of view and balance satisfaction. You were unsatisfied to have to change of hotel, we really understand and apologize.

A young child created a leak in an apartment beyond our control the day of your check-in. He hung him on the tap and extract it…plumbers tried to fix it between noon and 3pm but they couldn’t do it. Parents were very sorry but what could they do, it is a child accident. By ourselves, we were unable to fix it in 3 hours…that is a pity.

We tried to call you but the line was always busy. We even called Expedia to let them know and request their assistance. They confirmed us by email we keep for you that they also tried to contact you in vain.

On arrival, our receptionist explained you this technical problem, apologized himself for this and gave you all the information for the other hotel.
You told him that you didn't need a taxi neither the metro because it was 15 mn walking distance.
We really did the maximum to find you a new hotel and found the Golden Tulip Opera de Noailles renovated 2 years ago, 4 stars too. We booked a Deluxe room on the rate of €430 to welcome you on the best way and had pleasure to pay the difference between your rate of €315 to apologize about the inconvenience.
We read you room description, it is available on their website too and of course, it was not close to the breakfast room. TripAdvisor readers can check and will make their own point of view.

To finish, be sure that if we had any availabilities in our 5 star Hotel de NELL not so far, we gave you a room there and with an upgrade. It would be the best solution for your and for us, we did not pay the rate difference…so, really believe it was not possible. Expedia can confirm too.

We do regret this situation and to be unable to give you your room. For information, this one had been closed 72h, time to fix everything and the child’s parents had been very fair to use their civil liability and apologize again.

I personally stay at your disposal by email, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Chief Operating Officer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night stay at the Residence Nell. We had the deluxe apartment (or the Classic apartment), hard to tell from the description, but we had a double sink in the bath. Our bed was Queen size (American standard) though I believe it was advertised as King. Our daughter had the studio and their bed was slightly smaller, though bigger than the American double bed. I suppose the apartments could accommodate an additional person or two, if they didn't mind sofa beds. I think it might be too cramped for adults; children should be OK. A short stay would be OK with more than two adults.
We liked having the kitchenette and the equipment: microwave, stove, refrigerator, and coffee maker, as well as dishes and cooking ware, etc.
The Good: The Staff was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful. The sheets were so soft! Our bath was spacious and lovely and the towels were large and soft. The location was good; close to three metro stops and near bus lines. We didn't use the bus system but we did use the metro. There was free wi-fi, but you had to keep signing in each time you returned to the hotel.
The Not-So-Good: We did have trouble with the bath plumbing. The hot water was difficult to turn off. I had to have the staff turn it off one time. It was also difficult to switch to the shower mode or back to the bath spout. (Hopefully this will be taken care of soon.) Our room cornered on two busy streets, with two restaurants below. It was quite noisy till about 1-2 am. If this type of noise is bothersome, you should request a room that is away from those streets. Our daughter's room was secluded and quiet.

Room Tip: Bedrooms on Northwest have street noise till about 1-2 am.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
NELL09, Directeur général at Nell Hotel & Suites (Residence Nell), responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Robbie M,

I thank you so much for this complete and nice review about your stay here.

With the double sink, this is the Deluxe Apartment, which is up to 4 adults (2 adults and 2 children for the Classic and 2 adults for the Studio).

Thank you also for your comment on the staff. I'm glad that they are courteous and helpful. :)

Be sure that we have fixed the problem of bath plumbing in your apartment. Everything is in order now and we apologize again about it.

Don't hesitate to send us an email for your next trip in Paris, it will be a pleasure to offer you a VIP treatment.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have just returned from a 3 night stay with my wife and two daughters (11 and 14). I have to say that I can't fault Residence Nell and i would heartily recommend it for families. Here are my thoughts:
- 15 min walk from Gare du Nord so perfect for Eurostar from London
- 5 min walk from at least 3 metro stations that get to all major tourist attractions
- some nice bars and shops close by
- apartment was bigger than expected (it's Paris after all!)
- spotless and cleaned every day. They even do your washing up
- small kitchen and fridge are very handy
- we booked breakfast which was delivered to the room every day. There are lots of shops close by if you want to do breakfast yourself
- big, comfy sofa bed was great for the kids
- free wifi (how would we cope without it!)
- very friendly, helpful staff

We had a brilliant time in Paris.
10/10 for Residence Nell and we will definitely be back in the future.

S

Room Tip: We were on the first floor so some bar noise but it was fine and added to the atmosphere. Lots of wa...
1 Thank Stephen G
Dear Stephen,

All the staff join me to thank you so much for this excellent review.

I am really glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

I stay at your disposal for your next trip in Paris and I hope to welcome you again this year.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The problem with staying in a hotel is that you find yourself either in your own room or in a hotel lounge. If you go to look around a city and the weather is filthy, you have to pay a fortune for a room to be pleasant enough to sit around in, or you spend your time in hotel lobbies, and let's face it, not many of these are that attractive.

So, I went to Residence Nell with my wife for a weekend in Paris. We stayed in one of their larger rooms on the 5th floor. It was quiet, private, and luxurious. Simple things like the furniture, pillows, bathroom fittings are very high quality. The concierge service is discreet and helpful. You don't feel like you are in a hotel: rather that you've hired an upmarket (small) flat for the stay. A small kitchen, a comfortable sofa in front of a television, and room to sit around when it pours with rain, were all welcome. We liked it a lot, and would stay again.

Of course, because it's not a hotel, you can't go downstairs in your slippers for breakfast, but we found the bars and restaurants around it excellent. There are reasonable restaurants nearby, and better ones at Opera. If you fly into CDG, take the bus to Opera, and get a taxi from there, would be my advice.

No criticisms: and best hotel pillows I have ever had!

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade. It's worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Richdhouse,

What an amazing review on your stay with us.

All my team join me to thank you so much for this complete comment.

It will be a real pleasure to propose you the best rates by email or by phone for your next trip here, in Paris.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 5 night family city break in May. Overall good experience. Booked a classic apartment but when arrived we were told that our apartment was unavailable for "technical" reasons. We we're put in 602 on the top floor, which is actually a good room, but the sofa bed didn't work so our son had to sleep on the sofa itself - not ideal but we did get a €50 refund.

For the remaining 4 nights we stayed in 402, nice but not quite as good as 602. Sofa bed was good. Still a luxurious apartment with small kitchen, good shower, and modern decor.

Really liked the area, surrounded by lively streets with loads of restaurants but not too touristy. Good for metro. We went to Disney for one day and it took 1 hour from the hotel. Starting at grand boulevard and changing to RER at auber, really quick.

Staff on reception were always friendly and spoke good English.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank penguin195
NELL09, Directeur général at Nell Hotel & Suites (Residence Nell), responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear penguin195,

We thank for your good review and I want to apologize again for this technical problem.

Everything is in order now and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Don't hesitate to contact us for your next trip in Paris, it will be a pleasure to upgrade.

Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were visiting Paris for three nights and stayed at the Residence Nell with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter. We got the suite with adjoining room so we actually had two kitchenettes. The staff spoke English very well and kindly helped us with our various excursions and reservations. There are several restaurants in easy walking distance as well as an into alley mall with cafe's, book shops and various novelties. We could not have asked for a nicer place to stay while in Paris and will certainly be returning.

1 Thank MollyGwood
NELL09, Directeur général at Nell Hotel & Suites (Residence Nell), responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Mrs,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comment.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family at the Résidence,

All the staff and I hope to welcome you again in a near future and wish you an excellent day.

Warm Regards,

Arnaud Valary,
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Close to Gare du Nord (10 minutes and €10 by cab) and well presented, the room we rented (deluxe) was spacious and suitable for a family of parents with 2 young kids (who slept on an easy to set up and put away sofa bed).
Small kitchenette with good Nespresso coffee machine and useful crockery and cutlery let us have breakfast in the small living room.
TV's in both rooms was a bonus with good choice of channels.
The bathroom was a joy with a good (slightly weak) shower, excellent toiletries and an adequate amount of towels, bathrobes, slippers, etc.
Overall would recommend but it's not cheap.

Dear Shahirakk,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Résidence.

Thank you for this beautiful comment.

We stay at your entire disposal for any information or booking you may need,

Warm Regards,