“DON'T RECOMMEND ... Personal belongings mistaken as rubbish!!!”
Review of Modern' Est

Modern' Est
Ranked #1,413 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I chose this hotel for our 6 night stay in a double room, because the one I was used to was fully booked at the time I was supposed to go to Paris. I was intruiged by its location (a few steps from gare de l'est, and lots of bus stops), the reviews on tripadvisor were encouraging and also the price and the photos.

Our stay was almost perfect except for two points:
1. Gare de l'est location is not exaxtly perfect, if you're used to stay at city center (near chatelet), you would feel uncomfortable with the amount of transportation you have to change to move from one point to another. However, there are buses right infront of the hotel that takes you right to cdg airport, an another to denfret rochareau (the one that the orlybus stops at going to orly airport) which was really convienient.
* although this point is not directly related to the hotel, but I feel obliged to mention it.

2. There was an incident which happend to us, at some point, I couldn't find my pair of shoes and pair of slippers, I turned the room upside down looking for them but in vain, we tried asking the housekeeping lady about them (she didn't speak any english) so we turned to the reception, which was actually petty rude, he told us that no way the housekeeping would've taken them, and he was like so what's your conclusion, it's like we're accusing them of being thieves. Ok I see you, but where are they???? I don't think I would've hidden them or something. Anyways, he said he's going to ask housekeeping and get back to us, which he didn't, although we left after a while right infront of him and he didn't say anything at all. After some thinking I figured out something, there's a rubbish bin next to the door where we put plastic bags and other unwanted stuff, my guess that I mistakenly left them NEXT to it, so it was considered rubbish, hence, thrown out. I'm speechless beyond that point if that was actually the case.

Anyways, that's a personal case, dunno if it would happen to anybody else, so generally about the hotel's Pros:
1. english speeking reception staff
2. there's no A/C but there's a fan.
3. sound-proof windows since sometimes it could be noisy outside.
4. a number of restaurants around the block. and a supermarket.
5. if you have a late flight out of paris, you could leave your luggage at the hotel and pick it up later.

Overall, I don't recommend this hotel, and I won't choose it for further stays in Paris.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hi_there2080

Reviewed 10 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed in a triple room which was a bit old looking but very tidy and spacious compared to some Parisian hotels I've visited. The reception is small and the man there understood my frenglish well but answered in french. The lift was small and scary. What I liked about was the good size of the bathroom, eventhough the tiles were very seventiesh brown. Walls in the room were thin and we could hear people speaking spanish in the next room or watching TV. The beds were ok but the room became very hot in the night eventhough it was chilly outside so we slept window open. Our view was towards the courtyard and there was this strange office opposite where people kept working trough the night and staring at uss so we had to keep the curtains closed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suvi_W
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed there for only 1 night after we arrive from Zurich by train.I picked up this hotel due to its location because its realy close to train stationand metro.
Neighbourhood is not very pleasing. Some people on the street walk toward and ask for cigarette to me. After the first night we passed to IBIS Montmarte.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tguclu
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Arriving from the TVG the taxi driver dumped me in the middle of the buses that stop in front of the Hotel and pointed. I couldn't see it at first and then was a bit freaked when I saw it and where it was located. The sidewalk in front was all broken up and it was so small. The inside is old and shabby, really needs some restoration and a bit of upgrading. I took a gulp and proceeded to the check in. I wasn't happy and couldn't believe someone recommended this place to me!! But had to suck it up and the man at the desk was reassuring me with a smirk, that it was perfectly safe. The room was very small, clean enough, but couldn't sleep at all and for the "quiet" part of the Hotel it was pretty noisy. In the morning there was allot of other fellow travelers staying there and for the most part the staff was friendly and helpful, particularly one man who was very kind to me. No breakfast is ever included in Paris at the 2 or 3 star Hotels, but it was a good price and decent. I stayed 2 nights and learned to ride the Metro as it was right outside the doors. So was the Gard de l'st Train Station and a City Bus Station/stop. Would recommend for the value and if you are travelling with people, but not alone. Neighborhood kinda sketchy!

Room Tip: Get another Hotel for a GOOD room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank PLJensen
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights with extended family of 10, occupying 4 rooms. We were looking in Paris for a cheaper accommodation as we wanted to use the hotel only for sleeping. For me was very convenient, that I could take a bus from the airport (terminal 3/bus nr.350) as I was travelling in the evening on my own to meet the rest of the family and found it safer to use the bus rather than RER/metro. Good plus point was that there was public parking just across the street (under Gare d'Est train station) to park our 2 cars. Also nearby was a stop for the 'hop on, hop off' bus line. Metro line was also easy to use - stop is just a few steps from the hotel (just be aware of pick-pockets as one of our ladies caught an young Romanian girl with her hand in her bag just when she pulled the wallet out - maybe good idea to watch your belonging not only in metro, but at any other busy tourist place). We didn't take a breakfast in the hotel - there is a lovely bakery nearby (turn left from hotel and on the right side of the street about in the middle is the bakery) - you cannot sit there - but if you only need a coffee & croissant to grab - this is the place. There is also small supermarket just around the corner (turn left from hotel - it's third shop on the left).
Room was reasonable clean, one of the room had a broken side bed - but this was fixed (as soon as the receptionist was able to understand that we are asking him to fix the broken bed, not to change the room!!!). Our room has a window view into a small closed area - I was scared to leave it open during the night or any other time when we were out - which resulted in a very warm/smelly room.
The minus points were all the other points that you are reading in all the other reviews - especially the very thin walls and the very rude receptionists. We were aware of this, so it didn't bother us too much. Although there was a complain about us being too noisy the last night, but we were company of 10 people who's rooms were on three different floors. We came back from whole day out before midnight but went straight on in our rooms - for my feeling that was just normal coming to a hotel and saying good night to each other before heading to our rooms - so I am only guessing that the rooms have really very thin walls or the guest complaining didn't have any idea what to expect from this hotel.
My advise to you is to read some more of the reviews and then decide what is for you more important - I think that this hotel is convenient for people travelling on a budget, young people (backpackers) or if you are really very easy going.
I don't know if I ever would come back to this hotel - there are many more hotels in Paris to choose from. Maybe I would consider it when again travelling with such a large family & travelling on budget (which is not going to happen any time soon anyway)...

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

at 22.06.2011 just I asked the price and is this price included the breakfast or not.
Then a reception man answered extream rudely " forget the breakfast !! If you buy the shoes which cost included the Jeans, too ?" and he did a strange gesture that means you are stupid guest. after I had very unpleasantness feeling.
He has no conception what is a Hotel business, just only conceited man.
He doesn't respect the guest. It can't allow that his behave like that. He must apologize !!
I can't recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family