“Good choice just across Gare L'Est”
Review of Modern' Est

Modern' Est
Ranked #1,459 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just across the street from Gare L'Est. Good basic breakfast. Very helpful staff gave me directions on best way to get to Eiffel tower. Good wifi. Price is ok as per Paris standards. Room was clean and in good condition. What I did not like was the noisy room, I could hear every step and conversation in contiguous rooms. Good thing I was really tired.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank guilloguzman

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Extremelly close from Gare de l'Est, this hotel is a good adress is you wish to avoid big surprises. The hotel is clean, and gives a good impression at first. You are in less that 5' inside the Gare de l'Est
What I did not appreciate is the fact people are staying in front of the hotel all day and night. (alcool, prostitution, etc...) and the lift is a tiny one. That could be a problem with when luggage is XL or XXL.
The hotel is bad value for money if you take normal rates. Better wait for special offers ! Normal rate is much too high compared to service offered.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Etienne_RICHARD
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had an unforgettable experience with this hotel. We had been shunted from one railway station to the next only to find that we had missed the last train to Germany. Travelling with heavy suitcases are not the best accompaniment when searching for a bed for the night. Eventually, we stumbled on the Hotel Modern Est. We paid an extortion amount for the night and the room stank of heavy perspiration. The lights went out in the street at 5.00am when we wanted to leave to catch the 6.00am train. . I slept fitfully as the stench kept me awake. Let me tell you, it was not fun trying to find everything in the dark. The staff who looked like 2 bouncers at the local nightclub, were helpful.
Not a great memory of Gay Paree.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Polkadot723
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in Sept. 2013. The hotel was very clean, and the staff were helpful. Because I had a last-minute reservation during a very busy week in Paris, the first night I had an odd room (the only one left) with tiny windows by the ceiling, it used to be an office. However, they moved me the next day and actually upgraded me to a nice double room for the price of a single, with a nice bathroom, so I very much appreciated it. I've spent a lot of time in Paris and this hotel is very good for the price, and the Metro is right outside the front door. A few blocks away is an interesting covered alley full of Indian restaurants. It's a busy, lively neighbourhood, which I liked.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LGRTL
Reviewed 7 October 2013

i had no complaints with this hotel. room was very comfortable with good beds, nice decor, safe, tv and wifi connection. Breakfast served in the small dining area was ample with eggs croissants juice cheese ham baguettes tea and coffee. .. Friendly enought staff at reception and 24hour security.
Ideal location with major train station to the left of the hotel and metro directly outside the front door.. its right bang in the middle of cafes and shops. Naturally any area in close proxmity to a railway station or metro.. in any city in europe....wouldnt be the most pleasing to the eye or the safest place to hang aroundn so you take precautions.
To sum it up...its not the Hilton but a pretty good budget hotel for anyone on a tight budget who's sole purpose is to see the sights of Paris with ease and just use the hotel as a base to sleep.
I would stay again and recommend it to like minded people.

Room Tip: our room was at the back of the hotel away from the noise and general activity
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank gilbies
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The only reason I got this gross hotel is that once we arrived, we were shocked by the nastiness of Paris, and did not want to walk any further with our luggage attracting attention.

It was located right across the train station, Gare d'lest.

Now to the point.

1. The refrigerator did not work. Could not keep our drinks cool in such a hot, unbearable room. That's the LEAST that they could have done!!

2. Of course, there was no air condition in a hot, suffocating, airless room. It was terrible. But the lobby had air condition for the owner!

3. The view was SO depressing. There was another building where people could see inside your room. On our side view, our room faced what looked like a rat alley. Very uncomfortable because we could not get air due to the other building blocking our room from getting air.

4. For some strange and scary reason, the restroom floor was hot. I was afraid the restroom would explode.

5. The shower was pretty pathetic. Is it a European thing that they put the shower head low on the wall so you can hold it with one hand and use the other hand to bathe?? That is not comfortable when bathing.

6. The elevator was so tiny but I didn't care about that. What I noticed though, it gave away how old the hotel is. It smelled like a century old disgusting building. YUK

NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank chatoaburida
Reviewed 22 July 2013

There were more amenities at this hotel than some other hotels we stayed at in Paris - a fan, blowdryer, bar-fridge, safe and TV.The reception staff were friendly and helpful, the beds and pillows comfortable. On the negative side, the stairs were treacherously slippery, there were no sheer curtains to provide privacy from the opposite windows and the bedroom lights were inadequate. Even so, we would probably stay here again because we liked the staff member with the twinkling, kind brown eyes!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family