“rude staff while over-charged”

Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture
Ranked #888 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
bucharest
“rude staff while over-charged”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I somehow feel sorry to give a bad review to this hotel, but aside it's nice location and cleanliness ( although they need a severe renovation), everything else went all wrong.
I booked a room on booking.com chosing the "book now, pay now" option and the hotel immediately put a hold on 100 euros on my credit card. I am honestly amazed that I read the reviews about Quality Axel and nobody had this issue before ! After our stay there, at check out, some lady at the reception asked for the entire price of the booking, clamining that the 100 euros they put a hold on was just so they could check the validity of my credit card. Ok, it happened before, but NEVER 100 EUROS !! And then, she became sarcastic and a little aggresive with her attitude towards us, telling us a lot of silly things while charging us again for our stay. At the end of the "show" she smiled and said our money will PROBABLY be back on our card in 2 weeks or so... Probably in 2 weeks or so??? It's december, Christmas time. Needless to mention that booking.com clearly stated that this hotel won't ask for a deposit when booking there.
As for the hotel...first day we arrived we received a room with a window facing a concrete wall ( they "forget" to mention that when they sell and their photos are misleading ). After putting up AGAIN with one of the staff scarcasm, we changed our room the next day. The new room was available a day before, as it was already clean and sparkling at 8 am....but they said a big NO to my face when I asked for a change or an upgrade.
Breakfast is decent , but definetly not a 3 star breakfast - more like for a 1 star guesthouse.
The door at our bathroom never closed and the elevator would simply make you feel like you're aging as you wait for it. We skipped the elevator as often as we could.
I cannot recommend this place unless other guests won't mind the issues my husband and I had with hotel QAO .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank camy c
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Madam, sir,

We thank you for your post on tripadvisor.

we are sorry for the experience you have lived. cel did not match the mission we have set ourselves to welcome you better and help you to discover our beautiful capital.

I hope to welcome you again personally, I will ensure that your stay is unforgettable.

Regards,

MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Myself and family stayed at hotel, we found rooms clean, but staff, especially one receptionist whom works in the mornings very arrogant and unhelpful, shockingly so! You pay for what you get, but I won't be going back. It's up a side street, which is nearly impossible to find. Our bed also had no base, so when my son, lay on the mattress he ended up sitting on the floor.

• Stayed December 2013
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear sir, dear Madam,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor website.

I want to introduce you our apologies for the problems encountered. I called the person in your opinion. I bring a lot of importance to the home of our customers because we are here to help you discover and enjoy our beautiful city.

I want to welcome you again and I will personally see to the success of this trip.

Manager
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Hotel manager was very impolite.
They do not change bed cover during my stay.
I think all hotel members must be changed to provide a good service.
Guest is the most important.
The room booked by priceline.com and booked by hotel homepage
is totally different.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SHK33
Monsieur,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor website.

I do not understand your words when our touch I have no recollection. I bring a lot of importance to the home of my clients and for this reason I remain courteous at all times. Regarding the change of cloth, I am amazed at this remark because our maids they change every 2 days. Moreover even if the first room assigned corresponding level reserved only comfort suit you, we approach you Upgrade to a higher category room upgrade. I wish this to be taken into account in your judgment.

director

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in a twin premium room ..... the slightly higher price was worth it. On arrival our room was not available due to an "incident" as we were told. The room we got was really just a large closet behind the coke machine on the ground floor .... it was horrible. Next day we were moved to a much larger room on the 6th floor.... very good with the only downside being the terribly soft and lumpy pillows. The breakfast was good but very simple with rolls, pastries, cheese etc. It was very disappointing however that the promised daily lunch pack was not provided. We compensated by simply taking rolls and cheese for lunch from the breakfast offering.

The location is very convenient being a 20 minute walk from Gard de Nord (we arrived by train from Amsterdam) and a similar walking time to the Louvre. Additionally the Grand Boulevards metro is only 2 minutes away.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for a premium room. We faced away from the street so apart from some noisy...
1 Thank Peter S
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Madame, Monsieur,
Dear Sir

Thank you for posting a review on TRIPADVISOR site.

We are pleased to see that your séjolur went well.

We hope to welcome you again,

Regards

Manager
DEenver , Colorado
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of Oct. 2013. We were very impressed with the hotel. I was a little concerned after reading some previous reviews, but we had no issues. Room was larger than expected. Employees were extremely nice and helpfull. Breakfast was great every day. WOuld definetly stay here again.

1 Thank ceiralynn
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thanks for given your opinion about our hotel. We try to give you the best solution for your stay uin Paris. We hope to welcome you again.

Regards

Richard PLATEAU
Général Manager
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

You pay your money and you get what you pay for. 3 nights for under £350 in Paris including breakfast, free wi fi and a lunch box has to be good value for central Paris. But beware - the rooms are small but clean, the bathrooms are even smaller, the towels have seen better days and the noise from the street is loud!! Breakfast is plentiful even though the breakfast room is so small you are almost sitting on each others knees at busy times. The staff are good, always friendly and they remember you. Lunch box comprises a sandwich, packet of crisps, apple and a bottle of mineral water so good for midday. Wi Fi is fast and reliable. All in all a good position for a very good price but go knowing that the room is small and the noise from the road outside means little or no sleep. Try and get an inside room if possible.

Room Tip: Inside room on a high floor if you want to sleep!!
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your opinion on TRIPADVISOR.

We hear your feedback and we are doing everything possible to address these problems. We hope to welcome you again and we inform you that we have more spacious superior rooms located in our courtyard.

DIRECTOR
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed in June and was most impressed by the staff. Locations was good a 10 minute walk to the major department stores. The rooms had all cons and towels changed daily and linen every othe day. Breakfast was good and I would certainly recommend. The staff were very efficient and most helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank olliedear91
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your opinion on TRIPADVISOR.

We are pleased to have answered totally in your expectation. ire expressed my displeasure. Indeed I attach great importance to votren home and the cleanliness of my room.

I want to personally welcome you at an upcoming stay.

DIRECTOR