Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture
US$363
US$327
  • Room Service
Mercure Paris Bastille Marais(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$163
  • Room Service
Hotel Astoria - Astotel(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$765
US$602
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
All reviewshotel membersmetro stationsmall elevatorcozy hotellots of restaurantsfrench hotelthe hotel offersnice stayyogurtcentral paristhe ground floorlate at nightside streetliftoperabbc1louvre
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 4 nights in the period just before and after newyears. The location is excellent (15 min walk to the Louvre, 4 subway stations a minute or two away, lot's of restaurants in the neighbourhood), it's quiet and the area is safe. The rooms are basic and the hallways are narrow. There is an elavator where you can just about fit in with your luggage, but it's tiny - we took the stairs more than once and our room was on the fifth floor. Staff is friendly, English speaking (although don't expect too much) and the service was good. Breakfast is included, sort of in buffet style with mini croissants, cereal and yoghurt. Again, basic - no frills.

I've got to say we enjoyed our stay here, a perfect balance between quality and a very decent price in an excellent location. You get what you pay for, and this is a good option.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Madam, sir,

We thank you for your post on tripadvisor.

We are pleased that your stay went well.

we are aware that our elevator is small, but we can make sure it is working properly!

We hear your feedback on breakfast and make every effort to improve it.

I hope to welcome you again personally, I will ensure that your stay is unforgettable.

Regards,

R.PLATEAU
MANAGER

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I somehow feel sorry to give a bad review to this hotel, but aside it's nice location and cleanliness ( although they need a severe renovation), everything else went all wrong.
I booked a room on booking.com chosing the "book now, pay now" option and the hotel immediately put a hold on 100 euros on my credit card. I am honestly amazed that I read the reviews about Quality Axel and nobody had this issue before ! After our stay there, at check out, some lady at the reception asked for the entire price of the booking, clamining that the 100 euros they put a hold on was just so they could check the validity of my credit card. Ok, it happened before, but NEVER 100 EUROS !! And then, she became sarcastic and a little aggresive with her attitude towards us, telling us a lot of silly things while charging us again for our stay. At the end of the "show" she smiled and said our money will PROBABLY be back on our card in 2 weeks or so... Probably in 2 weeks or so??? It's december, Christmas time. Needless to mention that booking.com clearly stated that this hotel won't ask for a deposit when booking there.
As for the hotel...first day we arrived we received a room with a window facing a concrete wall ( they "forget" to mention that when they sell and their photos are misleading ). After putting up AGAIN with one of the staff scarcasm, we changed our room the next day. The new room was available a day before, as it was already clean and sparkling at 8 am....but they said a big NO to my face when I asked for a change or an upgrade.
Breakfast is decent , but definetly not a 3 star breakfast - more like for a 1 star guesthouse.
The door at our bathroom never closed and the elevator would simply make you feel like you're aging as you wait for it. We skipped the elevator as often as we could.
I cannot recommend this place unless other guests won't mind the issues my husband and I had with hotel QAO .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank camy c

Madam, sir,

We thank you for your post on tripadvisor.

we are sorry for the experience you have lived. cel did not match the mission we have set ourselves to welcome you better and help you to discover our beautiful capital.

Regards,

R.PLATEAU
MANAGER

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Myself and family stayed at hotel, we found rooms clean, but staff, especially one receptionist whom works in the mornings very arrogant and unhelpful, shockingly so! You pay for what you get, but I won't be going back. It's up a side street, which is nearly impossible to find. Our bed also had no base, so when my son, lay on the mattress he ended up sitting on the floor.

• Stayed: December 2013
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear sir, dear Madam,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor website.

I want to introduce you our apologies for the problems encountered. I called the person in your opinion. I bring a lot of importance to the home of our customers because we are here to help you discover and enjoy our beautiful city.

I want to welcome you again and I will personally see to the success of this trip.

Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Hotel manager was very impolite.
They do not change bed cover during my stay.
I think all hotel members must be changed to provide a good service.
Guest is the most important.
The room booked by priceline.com and booked by hotel homepage
is totally different.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SHK33

Monsieur,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor website.

I do not understand your words when our touch I have no recollection. I bring a lot of importance to the home of my clients and for this reason I remain courteous at all times. Regarding the change of cloth, I am amazed at this remark because our maids they change every 2 days. Moreover even if the first room assigned corresponding level reserved only comfort suit you, we approach you Upgrade to a higher category room upgrade. I wish this to be taken into account in your judgment.

director

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in a twin premium room ..... the slightly higher price was worth it. On arrival our room was not available due to an "incident" as we were told. The room we got was really just a large closet behind the coke machine on the ground floor .... it was horrible. Next day we were moved to a much larger room on the 6th floor.... very good with the only downside being the terribly soft and lumpy pillows. The breakfast was good but very simple with rolls, pastries, cheese etc. It was very disappointing however that the promised daily lunch pack was not provided. We compensated by simply taking rolls and cheese for lunch from the breakfast offering.

The location is very convenient being a 20 minute walk from Gard de Nord (we arrived by train from Amsterdam) and a similar walking time to the Louvre. Additionally the Grand Boulevards metro is only 2 minutes away.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for a premium room. We faced away from the street so apart from some noisy other guests it was very quiet. I don't think a street facing room higher up would be noisy as the street is rapidly quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter S
Directeur-Axel, Directeur général at Hotel Axel Opera by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Madame, Monsieur,
Dear Sir

Thank you for posting a review on TRIPADVISOR site.

We are pleased to see that your séjolur went well.

We hope to welcome you again,

Regards